Texas scouter 19

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
navidave95
New Poster
New Poster

Texas scouter 19

Post by navidave95 »

I’m just starting to get the material to start building it.this is my first build and being a disabled Veteran I am looking for the challenge. I couldn’t do the pressure treated plywood but went with the plywood recommendation.I see the clamps or external plywood templates to make the plywood form the boats shape but where is this print on making them?
David Wright aka navidave95.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Texas scouter 19

Post by cape man »

Welcome aboard. Not sure what exactly you are asking, but if it is how to cut the various parts from the sheets of ply, you should have a lofting plan (drawings of the parts that show how to get the most out a sheet) and other drawings with specific measurements for each piece. When there is a curve, mark the points using the measurement specified, and use a batten (a flexible thin piece of wood) to connect them. I used small finishing nails as posts to press the batten against while marking the lines. All the pieces can be cut with a small skill saw.
Go to the tutorial section on the main page and there are a bunch you can watch showing most of the common steps used for all the designs here.

Post questions here and you'll be surprised how helpful others will be.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

navidave95
New Poster
New Poster

Post by navidave95 »

Thanks Cape Man!
That information will be helpful as I go along. I see that the USG has a course that the boat must go through which makes me nervous but in any case, I see from previous posts asks pretty much about size HP motor to use and didn’t want it to be under sized or over sized.
So question is, what size HP motor is recommended ?
David Wright aka navidave95

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Dave,

Welcome to the Forum.
Jacques gives a HP recommendation for all of his designs. You can find this on the study plans or the first page of the actual plans.
https://www.boatbuildercentral.com/Stud ... _STUDY.pdf
You can see that the recommendation for the XFTS19 is 50-75 HP.
Standard procedure for one of our customers, once they complete a build, it to register it as a "home built boat" with your local tag office. You boat may or may not be inspected by a Fish/Wildlife Officer (or other Gov. agency). They will look at the boat, possibly ask to see pictures, plans, and receipts to prove you built it. Each state is slightly different but that is the general procedure. You should have no issue getting your boat registered once completed.

-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

navidave95
New Poster
New Poster

Post by navidave95 »

Thanks again! I’m sure I will have more questions as the material is starting to come in…😁😁😁

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on your decision to embark on a boat building project.

Happy to have another builder from Southeast Georgia. There are a few of us on here.

If I can be of any help at all do not hesitate to ask.

Best wishes on your project.

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

A late welcome to the forum from a fellow Ga builder. You’ll need to get a Hull Identification Number (HIN) from Ga Department of Natural Resources before you can get it registered. Contact them and they will send out a DNR Game Warden to take a look at your boat, make sure your not trying to register a stollen boat and issue the HIN that you will affix to the transom. It’s like a VIN number on a vehicle. It starts with the letters GA which will be noticed if your getting insurance on it. I found it’s relatively EZ to get liability but not so much for collision. I’ve been away from the forum a little while. Have fun.
Attachments
3CA2DE47-4380-4C0C-9C9A-264842BBE08E.png