Options for doors

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Options for doors

Post by jbo_c »

Trying to decide how to build the forward door for my shanty. Door will be 24”x68”. Since it’s in the front, will need to stand up to the “wind” from being pulled down the road. Would like it to have option for screen or “glass”.

Easy to build would be great. Going for simplicity. Multi-panel like on a sailboat is a possibility, but not a preference.

Could buy something, I guess, but the windows will probably be built, so wouldn’t be consistent.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Jbo

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Options for doors

Post by Fuzz »

Maybe make all but the frame out of Lexan?

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Doors on the front of boats are not to swing in. So you need space for them to swing out.

If you lack that space, a second option is a slider.

Need to know the layout, but inswing is a general no-no. The door also would work better with your travel concerns as os or slider.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

I would like to have a slider, but had planned to have seating immediately to each side of the door, so not sure how to make that work since logical seating would be against that bulkhead.

Thinking it will be hinged or drop-in type. I have room for the swing, though it would be a little “inelegant”.

Hadn’t thought about doing an in-swing door, but I can see that being problematic on multiple fronts. :)

Maybe if I did a drop in on the inside for a screen door and a swing on the outside for a full door? Make the full door removable and stow it during mild or non-rainy weather.

Jbo

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Too much hassle. Make an outswing door. Then, window it. A screen offers venting. This door was $1500. Hard to see, but the window drops down and a screen offers venting. This door has a 3" stepover sill to help keep water out of the cabin.
571EEE7B-FC0E-411C-9704-851FD44D02B4.jpeg
Last edited by fallguy1000 on Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Or stick with your sliding idea but put the doors on the outside.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Over the years I have had a couple of boats with pocket doors. They have worked out well for me. Put a strip of starboard on the door bottom and one inside the pocket to make the door slide easy.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

jbo you won't be able to buy one unless you know of a custom door maker, standard door heights these days are 80", per building codes. Solid wood doors you could cut down are expensive and I only found one with a partial screen and glass in it at Lowe's, it was there smallest size 32 x 80.

So I think making your own would be your best bet. Yes and like fallguy pointed out make sure you have a 3-4" step over to keep water from entering.

Regards, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

$1500 factory door is why I’ll be building one. LOL

I have thought about the pocket door, but can’t get comfortable with protecting it from water intrusion and future issues.

Jbo

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

a couple options i see.

build a door like fallguy’s, going to be a challenge getting the door window to move up and down. slickest solution in my opinion.

make the window mount to the outside of door with a few thumb screws, screen on the inside and just have a place to store it so can have fresh air when you want.