GV13 questions pre build

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
wdr99
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

GV13 questions pre build

Post by wdr99 »

Hi all,

I’m starting a GV13 shortly and I have a couple questions about plywood.

1. I have access to doug fir marine ply in 1/4 and 1/2 inch from my local Menards. The 1/4 is 3 ply, is that acceptable for the hull panels?

2. Is substituting 1/2 for 3/8 a problem, aside from about a 30lb penalty? The 1/2 that I’ve used seemed pretty light for bulkheads as it was. Also, do you encapsulate the bulkeads in glass?

I built a Redwing 18 a few years ago out of this same doug fir ply, stitch and glue and it worked very well but I’m curious about these two above mentioned circumstances. I’m off the beaten path and shipped marine ply is kinda pricy.

Thanks,
Bill

wdr99
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: GV13 questions pre build

Post by wdr99 »

B93ADF23-0182-45C7-BC77-0174D38121FA.jpeg
Also, I’m looking at doing an open center console with sole instead of the benches. I have incorporated the existing bulkheads into this design. Hopefully I’m not throwing the balance of the boat too far out of whack.

My motor choice is a 20 hp Honda remote short shaft that I have sitting around.

Bill

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

About the plywood, I might be saying stuff you already know but here goes. The three ply 1/4 just have to hope it has no voids. It will be both heavier and stiffer than what is sold here. Also I would want to put at least a light layer of glass over everything to keep it from checking.
About the power there was a real nice GV13 built not long ago that had a 40 hp on it I believe. Everyone who has built a GV and posted about it has been pleased as far as I know.

wdr99
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wdr99 »

Fuzz wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:06 am About the plywood, I might be saying stuff you already know but here goes. The three ply 1/4 just have to hope it has no voids. It will be both heavier and stiffer than what is sold here. Also I would want to put at least a light layer of glass over everything to keep it from checking.
About the power there was a real nice GV13 built not long ago that had a 40 hp on it I believe. Everyone who has built a GV and posted about it has been pleased as far as I know.

There's a lot of really nice GV13 builds, which encourages me to choose it. I know from experience that the doug fir stuff isn't very bendy, it's really not very nice to work with, routes poorly, usually warped, but is basically fine when covered with glass. I would enjoy the opportunity to work with a higher grade of plywood.

Bill

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Assuming you have, but compare pricing from your hosts. At the peak of the wood market here. I had real marine wood delivered from BBC for about $15 a sheet more than I could get “probably work OK” wood from a big box store in town. That made it an easy call for me.

Jbo

wdr99
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wdr99 »

jbo_c wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:06 am Assuming you have, but compare pricing from your hosts. At the peak of the wood market here. I had real marine wood delivered from BBC for about $15 a sheet more than I could get “probably work OK” wood from a big box store in town. That made it an easy call for me.

Jbo
You are exactly right, the price for my local junk is really high, and not ideal anyway, so I just placed an order with our hosts.

Thanks!
Bill

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

You are going to be really happy you got the good stuff! It is so nice I always hate to cover it up with paint.

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

Yes you can but:

- you should probably cover doug fir plywood with a light layer of glass. This costs extra money, weight, and epoxy.
- 1/4" 3 ply is OK
- 3/8" is adequate. That's why it was designed that way to keep it cheaper and lighter.
- bulkheads are not glassed just epoxy coated. But again in doug fir, light glass will keep it from checking
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

wdr99
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wdr99 »

Fuzz wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:24 pm You are going to be really happy you got the good stuff! It is so nice I always hate to cover it up with paint.
Ha! Good life lesson, I’ve rarely regretted getting the good stuff. Especially tools.
Bill

wdr99
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wdr99 »

Evan_Gatehouse wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:30 pm Yes you can but:

- you should probably cover doug fir plywood with a light layer of glass. This costs extra money, weight, and epoxy.
- 1/4" 3 ply is OK
- 3/8" is adequate. That's why it was designed that way to keep it cheaper and lighter.
- bulkheads are not glassed just epoxy coated. But again in doug fir, light glass will keep it from checking
Thanks for this, and now I’ve decided to go with the good stuff.

Does my center console idea above look ok? It’s basically the same console as in the OD16. Best case scenario I integrate it into customized C and D bulkheads. I wouldn’t mind moving bulkhead C forward 5 inches. It doesn’t look like that would interfere with the stringers or the bottom but I haven’t studied very closely.

Bill