PH22 bracket

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 8787
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 am

PH22 bracket

Post by fallguy1000 »

Considering the PH22 for a bay boat for Texas. Think I'd want to bracket the engine on a hydraulic jack.

Not wanting to build in foam, but have the following questions:

1. Does the bracket idea change the back and how? Not really a need for a splashwell, but the bulkhead forward may be changeable?

2. Is there any foam plans available? I saw some mention of foam internals.

3. Can Reid send me a quote for the whole shebang? CNC cut parts, glass, epoxy? Does the cut list include the station jigs?

4. I insist on having a head onboard. I am thinking something on the order of a pontoon pop up tent or making a center console with a toilet. Can the hull be the sole and how much height does that offer me? I know the boat is self bailing, so we would make a 3" sill for the door and add a bilge pump for the cutout. How far apart are the stringers on the PH22 or is there a center stringer? On the same order of questions, can I bump up the helm 8" on a step? This would raise up a helm by 8" and lower the head ?10" and offer 18" of xtra clearance for the marine head. I saw a similar setup on a Hurricane 24' deck boat, only that was a side console.


My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:33 am
Location: Eliot, ME

Re: PH22 bracket

Post by jonnymac »

you could always put the toilet on the stringer top with a little table top, and then use the space in the bilge for extra height

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 8787
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 am

Re: PH22 bracket

Post by fallguy1000 »

jonnymac wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:58 am you could always put the toilet on the stringer top with a little table top, and then use the space in the bilge for extra height
The Raritan head in Skoota pumps aft, so the toilet can set right on the hull. The goal here is to make room for the person's noggin so the captain can see over tops.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 8787
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 am

Re: PH22 bracket

Post by fallguy1000 »

Here, Hurricane uses the faux copilot console to hide the head. This could also work for the PH22, but the gains are small because of the hull shape.

Crap. Can't add pictures to q&a thread.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 8787
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 am

Re: PH22 bracket

Post by fallguy1000 »

My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 4766
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:57 pm
Location: Bryson City, NC

Re: PH22 bracket

Post by TomW1 »

fallguy there are 4 stringers on the Ph22 so you could set it on a platform between at the bottom of the inside stringers or if you if you do not need that much room any size you want to allow a step down. Then as you mentioned raise the helm a little bit. A 4' head room is about ideal, maybe a little more allowing people to back in or step in side ways.

As far as a platform sure. go for it. The PH22 is a big enough boat to allow it. Just remember to do the math for a 30" bracket, weight of motor x 2.5' = xlbs. xlbs must be moved forward of the center of gravity. Also keep a 9-12" false boat well to provide support to the transom, use the same dimensions only shorten the sides.

Well hope that helps.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:33 am
Location: Eliot, ME

Re: PH22 bracket

Post by jonnymac »

fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:05 am
jonnymac wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:58 am you could always put the toilet on the stringer top with a little table top, and then use the space in the bilge for extra height
The Raritan head in Skoota pumps aft, so the toilet can set right on the hull. The goal here is to make room for the person's noggin so the captain can see over tops.
that makes sense but people who sit down to use head need some space below the lid for leg room maybe you can find a low profile head so you can use that space to your advantage. i see hull draft of 8” and cockpit depth of 20”. so assuming its a liitle bit shallower midway. stringer is probably 5-6” tall. maybe a taller center console that opens from the front to use head?

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 8787
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 am

Re: PH22 bracket

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomW1 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:23 pm fallguy there are 4 stringers on the Ph22 so you could set it on a platform between at the bottom of the inside stringers or if you if you do not need that much room any size you want to allow a step down. Then as you mentioned raise the helm a little bit. A 4' head room is about ideal, maybe a little more allowing people to back in or step in side ways.

As far as a platform sure. go for it. The PH22 is a big enough boat to allow it. Just remember to do the math for a 30" bracket, weight of motor x 2.5' = xlbs. xlbs must be moved forward of the center of gravity. Also keep a 9-12" false boat well to provide support to the transom, use the same dimensions only shorten the sides.

Well hope that helps.

Tom
How far apart are the stringers? Can the toilet fit in between them?

So, keep a back bulkhead 12" forward for like a baitwell or livewell?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 4766
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:57 pm
Location: Bryson City, NC

Re: PH22 bracket

Post by TomW1 »

fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:20 pm
TomW1 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:23 pm fallguy there are 4 stringers on the Ph22 so you could set it on a platform between at the bottom of the inside stringers or if you if you do not need that much room any size you want to allow a step down. Then as you mentioned raise the helm a little bit. A 4' head room is about ideal, maybe a little more allowing people to back in or step in side ways.

As far as a platform sure. go for it. The PH22 is a big enough boat to allow it. Just remember to do the math for a 30" bracket, weight of motor x 2.5' = xlbs. xlbs must be moved forward of the center of gravity. Also keep a 9-12" false boat well to provide support to the transom, use the same dimensions only shorten the sides.

Well hope that helps.

c
How far apart are the stringers? Can the toilet fit in between them? Yes the center stringers are at least 32" apart or 16" from the center line should give you plenty of room to set a toilet down in there. I am doing this from memory as I am sitting in our cabin on the Mississippi River in IA watching the eagles and the river flow by. You might want to call Jeff to see if he can call up the plan as Jacques is traveling with his wife an often does not have internet where he goes out west.

So, keep a back bulkhead 12" forward for like a baitwell or livewell? To clarify keep everything as is except cut out the last frame so you only have the side frames, this leaves you with out the support for the transom. Then lets call it a false transom, so now build the motor well starting at 3" at the bottom and using the same angle as the transom and the other side straight, the top will be 9-15" depending on the height of your transom. Then just measure and cut out a new frame for the front and you are all set. Brand new frame supporting the transom and a small baitwell if you wish in the center.

Hope this makes sense if not ask again.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 8787
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 am

Re: PH22 bracket

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomW1 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:35 pm
fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:20 pm
TomW1 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:23 pm fallguy there are 4 stringers on the Ph22 so you could set it on a platform between at the bottom of the inside stringers or if you if you do not need that much room any size you want to allow a step down. Then as you mentioned raise the helm a little bit. A 4' head room is about ideal, maybe a little more allowing people to back in or step in side ways.

As far as a platform sure. go for it. The PH22 is a big enough boat to allow it. Just remember to do the math for a 30" bracket, weight of motor x 2.5' = xlbs. xlbs must be moved forward of the center of gravity. Also keep a 9-12" false boat well to provide support to the transom, use the same dimensions only shorten the sides.

Well hope that helps.

c
How far apart are the stringers? Can the toilet fit in between them? Yes the center stringers are at least 32" apart or 16" from the center line should give you plenty of room to set a toilet down in there. I am doing this from memory as I am sitting in our cabin on the Mississippi River in IA watching the eagles and the river flow by. You might want to call Jeff to see if he can call up the plan as Jacques is traveling with his wife an often does not have internet where he goes out west.

So, keep a back bulkhead 12" forward for like a baitwell or livewell? To clarify keep everything as is except cut out the last frame so you only have the side frames, this leaves you with out the support for the transom. Then lets call it a false transom, so now build the motor well starting at 3" at the bottom and using the same angle as the transom and the other side straight, the top will be 9-15" depending on the height of your transom. Then just measure and cut out a new frame for the front and you are all set. Brand new frame supporting the transom and a small baitwell if you wish in the center.

Hope this makes sense if not ask again.

Tom
pm me that address on the river, when I Huck Finn the Skoota down the river; I'll stop and see if u r home...probably 2 summers away
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests