SK 14 Build NSW South Coast, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Sturt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: SK 14 Build NSW South Coast, Australia

Post by Sturt »

Good to hear lads thanks for the ideas. It’ll definitely be getting used in the cool weather too, but I guess that’s what fly fishing waders are good for. I ended up cutting a rectangular scupper, looking at a stainless steel flapper style scupper to go in there eventually and a small spring to keep the scupper closed against the transom, I’ll wait to see how much the water on deck bothers me before I purchase that. It should clear realistically quickly by the sounds of it. I’ve put 3 coats of undercoat on the top deck now, but I wasn’t happy with the transom fairing so It has had another fairing coat applied and I’m hoping to smooth it out tonight or tomorrow. I’m so looking forward to getting this baby in the water, thinking I might be able to finish the painting by end of the month.
Cheers for the help guys
Luke.
Attachments
E5E5E41D-DBE7-4A92-BFA8-26D1CED9AE6E.jpeg
9049725E-E058-4966-A911-8666A1326B1C.jpeg

Sturt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Sturt »

Flipped her this morning and started the undercoat for the bottom, first coat is on with 2 more to come tomorrow, sanding Thursday and some colour Sunday or Monday depending on my work schedule and how much sanding is needed.
Attachments
C3BBAA44-999E-48FD-90FD-094944716BBE.jpeg
03407A55-5C79-44C2-9EB8-A8D8306C748A.jpeg
2268EBDD-B606-4098-A093-C57A27615056.jpeg

Sturt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Sturt »

Evening all,
Got 3 coats of black on the bottom now, will give this coat a fine sand at probably 240grit and another 2 coats after that to make it super smooth then flip for the top side to be done. Getting closer each day to splash down, I will probably float the hull before getting a motor sorted just to figure out balance and grab rail location.
I’m really happy with the colour and using water based paint has been very easy to deal with.
Cheers,
Luke
Attachments
C384DCD0-C81D-47E8-8440-DCCFDE18553B.jpeg
51B08BD9-0544-4A28-919D-76577374CDC0.jpeg

Sturt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Sturt »

3 coats down on the top side, I ended up with 8 coats on the bottom so hopefully be able to get something similar on the top. The colour is epic but a complete pita with the warm weather at the moment. I’ll hopefully have the painting finished by the end of the week and can cut out the Eva foam decking for the main deck. It turns out I need to get the boat certified by a naval architect or engineer for registration in the state of NSW as the motor will be bigger than 5hp. Every other state in Australia is fine with owner builders not needing rating plates but NSW is ridiculous. The little boat is costing me wayyyyy more than I anticipated but I have thoroughly enjoyed making her. There’s something different about building you’re own boat rather than buying.
Cheers Sturty
Attachments
72FF22CB-7E0E-4854-B64D-FEE4308CDEA3.jpeg
36CCDB67-7412-43EC-9274-8F489BED377C.jpeg
5371CB75-7A4C-42EB-9EA9-9AF4CCC81067.jpeg

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Sorry to hear about the cost overruns and the govt overreach but that will all fade to black like your hull once you hit the water in your own boat! Looking great!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Having the finest boat money can buy is a nice thing but is not the same feeling as being on one you built. And the first time somebody stops to tell you how nice your boat looks is priceless.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I completely agree with Fuzz!!! Jeff

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Looks great and yes, it's a special thing to build a boat. Not so many folks do it but I'm sure glad I did. Bet you are too. As for the money, well, boats are crazy expensive pleasures no matter how you look at it.

Dougster

Sturt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Sturt »

Dougster wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:57 am Looks great and yes, it's a special thing to build a boat. Not so many folks do it but I'm sure glad I did. Bet you are too. As for the money, well, boats are crazy expensive pleasures no matter how you look at it.

Dougster
Totally Dougster, I’m still glad to have built one, I’ve always wanted to do it. I’m slowly learning how expensive boats are, truly didn’t grasp it as there are so many people with boats around. I think I’ve got to drop my expectations of having it done in the next few weeks and just relax with the process and jump through the bureaucratic hoops and have it certified to standard.
Luke

Sturt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Sturt »

I just found some better clarity regarding the legislation and Australian builders plates. Exemptions to the requirement are personal watercraft intended to carry no more than 2 persons. Given the skiff is personal and not designed for carrying more than 2 people I might not need the plate.
I’ll email Jacques and see if he has the displacement and design figures for the boat just to be sure but I’m hoping this is good news!
Luke
Attachments
A079C195-02DB-4983-A77A-B61882734B7F.png