1984 Mako 20 Restore questions

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
wpstarling
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 1984 Mako 20 Restore questions

Post by wpstarling »

cape man wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:16 pm The graphite on the bottom of my dory, including on the sides to the waterline, is still glossy after 12 years. I had to repair it at the bow years ago and it was pretty easy upside down. It is stored under a Shelter Logic canopy under oaks, so gets little direct sun. Like Fuzz said, paint it with several thin layers applying them within 12-24 hours of each other to avoid sanding. It is way cheaper than the paint you are looking at!
That's the truth! This is why I posted here, to make sure I didn't do something dumb! :D I need to finish my jon boat and then I'll hop on this one so it might be some time before I get to it but I appreciate all the feedback!
Boats restored: 1973 Glastron CV16, 1990 Proline 17 CC, 1993 Bass Boat
Boats built: custom 15ft flat bottom skiff, Soon-to-be-built TX18 (originally dborecky's build)

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

wpstarling wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:06 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:56 pm
wpstarling wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:28 am ...I've read the graphite will turn 'chalky' eventually.
I'd be very interested in a link to where you saw that, that's new to me. So far, mine is holding up great, though only one season in.
I read it on here somewhere in my searching. If I come across it again I'll send it to you. Seems that it only happens with extended direct exposure to UV. Since I would only do the bottom to just above the waterline it could work but I'm not sure how easy it would be to apply with the boat still on the trailer.
May have been me inquiring if it did get chalky, but I was only asking about it and sort of assuming it would. Never overstated that it did..because I have never done it.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

wpstarling
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wpstarling »

fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:19 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:56 pm

I'd be very interested in a link to where you saw that, that's new to me. So far, mine is holding up great, though only one season in.
I read it on here somewhere in my searching. If I come across it again I'll send it to you. Seems that it only happens with extended direct exposure to UV. Since I would only do the bottom to just above the waterline it could work but I'm not sure how easy it would be to apply with the boat still on the trailer.
May have been me inquiring if it did get chalky, but I was only asking about it and sort of assuming it would. Never overstated that it did..because I have never done it.
It's possible but I vaguely remember that the boat sat in direct sunlight on one side or something and it turned chalky. Really the 'chalky' look would be better than what's on their now :lol: so I shouldn't complain.
Boats restored: 1973 Glastron CV16, 1990 Proline 17 CC, 1993 Bass Boat
Boats built: custom 15ft flat bottom skiff, Soon-to-be-built TX18 (originally dborecky's build)

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

wpstarling wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:21 am
fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:19 pm

It's possible but I vaguely remember that the boat sat in direct sunlight on one side or something and it turned chalky. Really the 'chalky' look would be better than what's on their now :lol: so I shouldn't complain.
Go for the epoxy/graphite have had it on mine for longer than cape man and do not do oyster beds and is as good as new. Keep it only a couple of inches above the chine. Have never had any signs of chalking. All the new marine paints are good for 5-6 days in the water without any damage if you need to spend a couple of days at a dock. As with any salt water boat spray it off when you get a chance.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978