Hardtop build

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Hardtop build

Post by DAYTRIP »

We (wells fiberglass) are building a 8’x8’ hardtop for a sportfish that is under going a total update/renovation. Jeff and Reid from Bateau have helped us with some CNC work to make the radar pod. I will share the progress pics as we go. The first image is the Rhinoceros file that I created to help the owner decid3 what he wants for a layout.

This is a zoom in on the pod

So in order to build the pod I had the option to free hand it, cut a jig and deck it with foam, have it milled on a 5 axis cnc or cut foam sections and glue them together. There are many more ways to do but these were my immediate thoughts. So jeff and Reid were able to cut the sections in a day turn around and that made it the best option!

Rhinoceros allows you to section the model which provides the cross section geometry at any point. So I took sections of the pod on 1/2” increments which is equal to the foam thickness. That results in 12 sections to get the 6 “ thickness of the pod. These will be glued together to give me the rough shape. Then we sand to shape

Last edited by DAYTRIP on Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Hardtop build

Post by Fuzz »

This should be neat to see. I have been wondering how your latest build is coming along.

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

So the process to build the top begins with glueing the divinycell h60 together. We use gorilla glue together with biscuit joints and bar clamps to align and hold them together. Then we shape the foam and install conduit paths and wire channels

This top gets teaser reel recesses so those areas need to be removed so the glass pockets can be installed

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

Picked up the 1/2” divinycell Jeff cut for me yesterday and started to assemble the radar pod. I included two 3/4” alignment holes on each cut piece so that I could use a 3/4” dowel to align each piece in the correct position relative to the other pieces. That left me with a step geometry. Next I used my 4” grinder with a 36 grit disk to knock down the steps. The bottom edge of each piece is the section line so I grind the top corners off and get it close to the bottom corner of each piece. Then I use a sanding block with 40 grit to shape it the rest of the way. The key is cross the part on 45 degree passes. That dialed it in. Then today I glassed it with 1700 and the epoxy resin system jeff carries. I have used literal 300-400 gallons of it. All of our tops are built with it.

Next comes a sand with 40 and primer coat followed by epoxy fairing putty. I use mostly Alexseal products for finish work. Once fair we will make a product mold off this part. We will also use the part for the top we are building

This is about where it will be glassed onto the top

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

Cool process. Access to CNC and even 3D printing is so good these days it opens up many possibilities.

Wasn’t aware you had turned this into a real business, hope that goes well for you.

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

Thanks Matt, it is my son’s business and I am the technical guy and free labor.

Jeff did the CNC work and I would certainly recommend you guys use him. He is going to cut the next hard top core for us this week. It will end up being a 8’ wide 11’6” top for a 34 venture.

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

I've got a couple projects in queue which may ask for cnc.

Jeff can you do 3D profiles (like a foam plug)? What's the size limit of your table?

What I'd really like to get into is fabricating in aluminum. Need a friendly local waterjet or laser cutter.

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

The gantry on his machine is only 3” clear. He also wasn’t able to step in axis for some reason? That’s why I did the 1/2”section parts vs thicker sections

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Great work DayTrip!! Love the work you and Jimmy are doing!!

Matt, no, we can only cut 2D!! Sorry. Call me and i will tell you were to go to get 3D!! Jeff

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

dumb question from peanut gallery

Why do you need the pod for the radar versus say just an aluminum post? Feel like I am missing something about radar installs in my pea brain. Thanks.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495