Cavitation plates, waterlines and baselines.

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Cavitation plates, waterlines and baselines.

Post by fallguy1000 »

There has been some confusion here lately about waterlines and engine settings.

I believe the issue is that the waterline does not drive the cav plate location.

Is there a tutorial or sticky on engine heights here anywhere?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Cavitation plates, waterlines and baselines.

Post by OrangeQuest »

On the old website, I think is where they were, was a lot of tutorials on building and transom height in relationship to the motor and the length of the shaft.

Waterline is not the same as the bottom of the boat and waterline is not used to set the depth of the motor. A waterline is usually used to judge how deep the boat is setting in the water. The bottom of the hull is used to set the Cav plate to start with and then the motor is moved up or down to maximize performance at all speeds. Adjustable jack plates makes the adjustment easier.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

fallguy1000 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:28 am Is there a tutorial or sticky on engine heights here anywhere?
OrangeQuest wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:50 am On the old website, I think is where they were, was a lot of tutorials on building and transom height in relationship to the motor and the length of the shaft.
https://boatbuildercentral.com/support- ... ansoms.pdf
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

All, All of the information on the old site can be found in our Tutorial Section: Link: https://www.boatbuildercentral.com/tutorials/ Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Jaysen posted the correct web site on transom heitghs and engine lengthss https://boatbuildercentral.com/support- ... ansoms.pdf

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978