1986 19' Atlantic rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
goingbogueoutdoors
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

1986 19' Atlantic rebuild

Post by goingbogueoutdoors »

After waiting for the right time (probably never) and the right boat (none exist), I stumbled upon a good deal on a 1986 19' Atlantic well boat, double wide. Sharper, V-entry that comes flatter astern. Floor is shot and stringers need some attention, however I have yet to put her under the knife so until then I will speculate and assume it's a full rebuild. It is currently configured as a forward console with an in floor fish box.

My plans are:
    Make a flat floor, and create storage space in previous fish hold
      Run a PVC rigging tube under sole to the engine
        Relocate dual batteries to under bow cap/console
          External 12 gal fuel tank on deck (boat came with brand new tank)
            New console or rebuild current console configuration
              Roll paint interior with gray paint, touch up exterior (in good shape), bottom paint black chine down
                Power will be a 115 Yamaha four stroke. Previously was rigged with 115 Suzuki and performed well.

For build components, I plan to use West Systems epoxy and 1708 glass. I am familiar working with wood glass and composites but am no means an expert and am looking forward to learning the hard way. I am an owner/operator charter captain who fishes full time, as well as commercially but have marked off time after bluefin tuna fishing full-time to rebuild this boat. This will remain a work boat and will be used for commercial fishing as well as duck hunting.

I have joined this forum to update the progress of the build but also looking for guidance for many things such as which hardener (slow vs fast) and size ply to use for sole and stringers, as well as many other questions I'm sure I haven't thought of. I'll be working in a shop in Morehead City and am excited to see how many builds here are from this area and nearby.
                tempImageu2VEpx.gif
                tempImagesmIZ8w.gif

fallguy1000
                * Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: 1986 19' Atlantic rebuild

Post by fallguy1000 »

Good luck. We'll do what we can to help.
                My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
                Very Active Poster
                Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Nice looking boat. Lots of help from here. Just did a look at what your Yamaha 115 and the 12 gallon tank would do together. At a cruise of 25mph or so you will only get 3.5 - 4 hours use with that size tank. Of course I don't know what you intend to use her for, but I would want a larger tank with a 115HP motor. The numbers I got are from the Yamaha web site and there boat tests of there 115HP on various single hull boats around 18-20'.

Regards, Tom
                Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Good catch Tom. That tank is about 20% of what is really needed. 60 gallons is a better minimum. When you get the sole off, you'll get a better idea of what will work.

I think Tom might have been a bit generous. When you open the 115 up some; not going to be getting 7-8mpg. The wot mileage will be waayy less.

Can you give him an idea of mileage at 90% of throttle Tom?
                My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

goingbogueoutdoors
                Frequent Poster
                Frequent Poster

Thanks for that note on the fuel capacity. With a 115 on this boat it will be very efficient given its low dead rise and lightweight. However after adding weight from fishing and hunting gear, that will definitely decrease. Plus having the tank under the deck will serve me much better in ways of keeping deck clear and open

TomW1
                Very Active Poster
                Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

My numbers up above gave a comfortable cruise in the mid 20's as I noted with rpm's of 3500 - 4000. At high speed in the upper 30's you will get only get 8 - 9 gph, That means if you run out to the fishing grounds at full speed you won't make it back. Most of the boats built here that have a 115HP motor have a 30 - 40 gallon gas tank. If you do not want that big that large of one I would go no smaller than 24 gallons.

Well I hope that gives some food for thought.

Tom
                Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

boguesounder
                Frequent Poster
                Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Hi! I know your waters well and grew up on a similar hull, though it was a Kencraft. My grandfather, long gone, was an old school salt and I was his mate. We fished primarily for mullet about once a week for the table. That well boat was the perfect tool for the netting in the skinny waters of Bogue Sound. Great memories. I occasionally see a well boat for sale for cheap and have the notion of restoring one. May do it one day. Cool project you have. I will watch with excitement and a touch of nostalgia! Thanks for sharing.

On a side note...there are two Casper's skiff in my fam also.

goingbogueoutdoors
                Frequent Poster
                Frequent Poster

That is definitely what she was built for! I commercial and charter fish for snapper/grouper primarily on my other boat, but will however use this one much like you did for netting hardheads occasionally. Will also probably make an eye to tow a small shrimp net with it as well. It is only right as that is what she was built for almost 30 years ago!

Progress on the boat is slow as I am accumulating supplies and more pieces of the puzzle. I found a good deal on a 2005 F115TLR engine for the boat with the proper 20” shaft length. I’ll be spending the rest of this year rebuilding and cleaning up the motor before cutting my way into the Atlantic starting sometime in February. Just made a nice repair stand to make it easy to wheel the motor around in the shop.
                E2EAF3BC-6F00-42B2-8736-5D6C32A7D2ED.jpeg
                A837EBCD-C7B3-4575-8EC0-D419081B58D2.jpeg
                B2E4D6B9-8092-4E38-B99B-5347624037B6.jpeg

boguesounder
                Frequent Poster
                Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Great outboard - hope you have it up and running with ease. Nice looking shop - way neater than mine!

goingbogueoutdoors
                Frequent Poster
                Frequent Poster

Still in the engine rebuild phase. Probably should be wrapped up with it before Christmas as long as I can get the parts in… Got another boat with leaking tank coming in for quick tear up of the sole and repairs. Hopefully that will be buttoned up after Christmas thru mid-January. Still tentatively planning on cutting into Atlantic beginning of February.
                3BBAC489-1B1D-4A8F-9C99-770C708497DE.jpeg
                4A6B0493-5C26-409B-A725-5D4CFD3679CD.jpeg
                B95D295A-58F9-45B8-B602-BDA2B2B363BF.jpeg