Graphite bottom application

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Graphite bottom application

Post by TomW1 »

Epoxy and black do not mix well in high heat areas or direct sunlight. Keep the epoxy/graphite mix to the waterline or a couple inches above it. Then use a lighter colored paint above that.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

I had horrible results with "uv resistant epoxy" I would venture to say it was no more uv resistant than regular epoxy. I used it on a carbon fiber grab bar and tiller extension.
I did not buy it here, in fact they weren't even selling it here at the time.
Gary
GF-16 Completed

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

wpstarling wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:56 am Has anyone done the entire bottom with graphite/epoxy? And by entire bottom I mean all the way up to the rub rail.
I know that the sun can wreak havoc on black epoxy SUP's that are on car racks in the sun, but your sides and transom are past vertical, and so will not get much full, direct sunlight. I'm always in the "Try it, see how it works, report back" camp on this stuff. Someone had to eat the first oyster!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:25 pm
wpstarling wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:56 am Has anyone done the entire bottom with graphite/epoxy? And by entire bottom I mean all the way up to the rub rail.
I know that the sun can wreak havoc on black epoxy SUP's that are on car racks in the sun, but your sides and transom are past vertical, and so will not get much full, direct sunlight. I'm always in the "Try it, see how it works, report back" camp on this stuff. Someone had to eat the first oyster!
This is nothing to play with! The heat on the black graphite on the sides will weaken the epoxy/fiberglass bond leaving a side of the boat to be prone to failure. Remember in these boats it is the fiberglass layers that provide the strength to the boat, not the wood.

The sun and heat in FL is one thing compared to that in VT.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978