FS18 on Cape Cod!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS18 on Cape Cod!

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fuzzytrout wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:26 am when you are back on cape cod ill take you out on the new FS!
Absolutely!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but there has been zero boat progress...

People are shopping early and my gallery is crazy busy. I have zero time for the boat. Its ready for fiberglassing....I'll order that this week and hopefully to able to find a day where I can dedicate to that, but it might have to wait till after christmas!

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

Getting my glass kit and tessilmare rubrail today from BBC, so I guess its time to get back to work!

I have a question about Jack Plates! Hopefully someone can help me cause I don't know much about boats 8O

I am planning on running a 25 or 30 hp suzuki. 15" or 20" shaft honestly whatever outboard I can find, engines seem hard to come by now and days.

I was going to purchase a Vance manufacturing manual jack plate. my question is there any benefit to the 7" setback versus the 5"? Does it depend on your engine? If I wind up with a 15" shaft will I need the setback the 7" jackplate has or will the 5" offer enough when the engine is tilted forward?

I'm really hoping i can find a 20" shaft 30 hp, but just in case I want to make sure the jackplate will work with both, just need to be installed lower on the transom with the 15". I just worry the jackplate with a 15" will have to be so low on the transom that it will hit something once tilted forward.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Fuzzytrout,

I would try and get a 20" shaft outboard for the FS18. I think you will have to really increase the setback in order to accommodate a 15" shaft outboard. I am putting a Bob's Machine Shop Mini Versa Manual Jack Plate on my FS18. It has a 5.5" setback. When you position the engine further and further from the transom you run the risk of changing the center of balance and thus changing the way the hull sits and rides in the water.
Hope this helps.
-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Fuzzytrout definately use the 5" setback for the reasons Reid mentioned. I use Yamaha motors to compare specifications, looking at them I would stay with a 25HP as their 30HP weighs almost 100lbs more and you would have to mess around with adjusting weights forward. If you like I can check Merc and Stzuki motors if you are going with one of them. Let me know.

Regards, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

the 25hp suzuki weights 156lbs, the 30hp suzuki weights 163lbs, so i figure for the exact same weight i'll try to find the 30 hp which is only offered in a 20".

i'll try to find my engine.

thanks for getting back to me!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Fuzzytrout wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:17 pm the 25hp suzuki weights 156lbs, the 30hp suzuki weights 163lbs, so i figure for the exact same weight i'll try to find the 30 hp which is only offered in a 20".

i'll try to find my engine.

thanks for getting back to me!
Good deal. Enjoy I figured you knew what you were doing. Really like the Suzuki's.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

TomW1 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:08 pm
Good deal. Enjoy I figured you knew what you were doing. Really like the Suzuki's.

Tom
Tom I have zero clue what I'm doing :lol: :lol: :lol:

trust me you'll see, I have lots of questions coming!

I think I found a 25hp 20". going to check it out later this week!

Gonna glass the hull tommorrow!

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

I feel like I'm doing a much better job this time around, using ALOT less epoxy..

got my two layers on the keel and all around the transom.

I finished this watercolor of a bluefish not to long ago! It came out good!

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

For a man who says he knows nothing that glass work looks pretty dang good. :wink: