FS18 on Cape Cod!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS18 on Cape Cod!

Post by Fuzzytrout »

super hi tech diagram. nothing under the sole, everything under the gunwhales

Cbuf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Cbuf »

Just remember to over support the wiring. The gauges you have to use is heavy and when your pounding it add a bunch of snap weight. Back in my younger days I tried supporting 4 awg wiring for a trolling motors from the back to the front (22'). I was breaking zip ties and heavy duty ss straps where the screws were pulling out of the wood and breaking 3/8 pop rivits in the aluminum . Conduit would be the best option just support it every foot.
See my LM 18 build here.
viewtopic.php?t=64254
See my LM 18 Questions here.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64299&hilit=lm18\
Finished Boat Here
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=65173

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Good start but I do not see any return black negative wiring or green ground wiring. Also, what about the fuel fill. Also, on the fuel tank you have sounder on it I think you meant sender. Well as time goes on you can fill in your diagram for the other things. Will enjoy watching the rest of your build.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

TomW1 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:13 pm Good start but I do not see any return black negative wiring or green ground wiring. Also, what about the fuel fill. Also, on the fuel tank you have sounder on it I think you meant sender. Well as time goes on you can fill in your diagram for the other things. Will enjoy watching the rest of your build.

Tom
thanks Tom! I left out some stuff for sure!

I filled in some more. The thicker lines are conduit, i was planning on protecting the wires as much as i can!

So from the bow, the little house battery will run down to the side console neg bus bar and fuse box. led deck lights,led nav lights, and the fuel sender will run down the same conduit to the console. I dont have even a remotely large electrical load on that battery. bilge draws like 1.7 amps when on, i forgot what my 7watt fish finder takes but it aint much. i gets like a 2 amp fuse I think they recommended so it aint much! the led lights wont be much draw either.. so I dont think I need a huge cable between my little house battery and the neg bus bar/ fuse box in the side console.

the conduit coming from the transom to the console will have the bile wiring, anchor light, and engine wiring harness (which is pretty thick, it splits into a couple plugs that fit my side throttle key thing etc. im assuming the other wires are for the digital gauge and fuel sender etc).

the throttle and shifter cables I was gonna run in one conduit together, the steering cable its own conduit, and the transducer cable its own conduit going back to the transom.

The ground I left out because its one of the many questions i have! So the fuel fill and tank share a ground and that runs down to? the neg bus bar and then the engine? just the engine? whats else gets a ground in my setup and where does it goes? :doh: :help:

fuse on the starter battery? no fuse cause it would be a huge ass fuse and take forever to change god forbid something goes wrong and I need to start asap?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

There will be a ground screw on the motor that the green wire will go to. There should also be a ground post on the negative panel to ground all electricals on the boat. You can ground the fuel tank to this.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

sorry for the lack of progess pictures, but im still cranking away. almost to the finish line... I'll post up more of my progress shots after some field testing...

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

i had to do some field testing before i gave her a finished paint job!

she floats nicely!

happy wife happy life!

mission accomplished. my first redfish!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Redfish in cape cod?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

someone had to field test the boat in its natural habitat ;) had to test out and make sure the platform works ;)

i was gonna stop by BBC but i was on the other side of the state and only had a week down there with the boat! def not enough time!

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

its a real boat! :)