FS18 on Cape Cod!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS18 on Cape Cod!

Post by TomW1 »

Fuzzytrout thanks for your detailed descrition of your fishing areas and what you do. While I think the LM18 would have been a better boat for you the FS18 will work.
Keep us up to date with your build with pictures and then some fishing tales. You do some beautiful art work.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

this wasn't much fun.... keeping them vertical instead of flat helped, but it was still a hot mess

I tried to clean them up the best i could before.

and then after used the sureform to clean em up!

then spliced all my panels. I was sure to use the router to take out some material on the outside so the glass splices would sit flush!

Cutting the frames to fit the stringers! I cut the slots with just a hand saw and a square to get just right. slow and steady builds the boat!

8-O :-D Somebody sure was smiling down on me lastnight! woohoo!

I can't believe how good it all lined up

I have my decks and 5" gunnels in place already, so these little zip ties help ensure it was all lined up.

Another helpful little zip tie to ensure everything is flush. I am going with the flush deck obviously.

primed the seams with some neat epoxy and then added some wood floor in bewteen the zip ties..

Trying my best to no waste epoxy and over use epoxy just to sand it off the next day ;)

yet again! I'm amazed how good this lined up. Thank you for such good plans and thanks so much to everyone on this forum past and present. If it wasn't for this forum I dont think I'd be on boat #2. At first I was thinking I made a huge mistake by not ordering the precut kit so everything fits nicely, so this is huge weight off my back about how nicely it turned out!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!!! Jeff

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

TomW1 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:38 pm Fuzzytrout thanks for your detailed descrition of your fishing areas and what you do. While I think the LM18 would have been a better boat for you the FS18 will work.
Keep us up to date with your build with pictures and then some fishing tales. You do some beautiful art work.

Tom
thanks Tom! I'm totally self taught artist, I do both watercolor and oil paintings. I have my own gallery here on cape cod ( :help: its so much work, which is why building a boat seems like FUN to me ).

you can check out my work on my website, www.davidriina.com

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

Jeff wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:05 pm Nice work!!! Jeff
Thanks so much Jeff! you guys win the award for fastest shipping on the internet everytime I order something!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Thank you for the kind words!!! Jeff

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

Fuzzytrout wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:17 pm
Jeff wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:05 pm Nice work!!! Jeff
Thanks so much Jeff! you guys win the award for fastest shipping on the internet everytime I order something!
Isn’t that the truth!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Man, great progress, you are making it look easy, the way it should be!

All the work is looking good and clean. what a joy when everything lines up like that, stoked for ya!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:39 pm Man, great progress, you are making it look easy, the way it should be!

All the work is looking good and clean. what a joy when everything lines up like that, stoked for ya!
my SK14 i nervously rushed along, like most new builders!

this build im taking my time and just trying to work neat and think things through before I do em. This boat I plan on keeping for a long time.

when you are back on cape cod ill take you out on the new FS!

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Fuzzytrout wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:02 pm
Another helpful little zip tie to ensure everything is flush. I am going with the flush deck obviously.
Impressive they way you've gone to the trouble of getting hull and decking panels aligned early on. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).