FS18 on Cape Cod!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS18 on Cape Cod!

Post by Fuzzytrout »

thanks for the kind words about the bluefish! thats the original watercolor that thankfully sold pretty quickly!

No artwork on the boat!

my paint plan:
black graphite bottom, seafoam green hull, some kind of not to bright white deck paint and some non skid on top. the Seadeck on my sk14 utterly destroyed my paint, stained it something gross to the point where it needs to be sanded and painted... def never using that stuff again

I was planning a built in aluminum tank up front along with the starter battery up front. A small center console / seat kinda similar to what I built for my sk14, and some mechanical steering. so pardon my ignorance as I've never owned a boat..I have so many questions..... :doh:

first of many questions!!!!! 'm looking at all the gauges I'll need, it's not much more money to just get the SMG4 multifunction gauge, plus it will take up much less space on my tiny console then 3 or 4 solo gauges. I also I'm going to keep my simrad go7, which has the nmea2000 port....

I'm assuming its worth hooking them all together just to get the engine data / codes / etc etc?

Do i need a certain type fuel sender for my gas tank to work with all the stuff? :help: :doh: 8O :help: :doh:

I paint fish for a living :lol:

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Very nice guy. That Susuzi is beutiful as is the fish. The fuel sender on the tank is universal it will have two wires on it that goes to what ever guage you have. You will have to installl a green ground wire from the fuel fill to the fuel sender and then another to your ground block.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

I've been pleasantly surprised by the oyster white I used by total boat. I originally thought it was too beige but now I love it, if you're looking for off-white suggestions.

I'll also say that once I got it figured out, the grit that bbc sells makes great non skid.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

TRAILER recommendations for the FS18???

What does everyone who has this boat run for a trailer?

for my sk14 I found an old little galvanized ez loader I fixed up. for this boat Id rather a new aluminum trailer

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Fuzzytrout wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:07 pm TRAILER recommendations for the FS18???

What does everyone who has this boat run for a trailer?

for my sk14 I found an old little galvanized ez loader I fixed up. for this boat Id rather a new aluminum trailer
I got a new Karavan galvanized trailer for my FS17. I also wanted aluminum but found them difficult to find in this small a size and they didn't actually save any weight in this size either. Since I keep my boat on a slip I'm not constantly dunking the trailer in salt water so figured galvanized was ok. The trailer seems to be high quality and I've had no problem with it over the past 2+ years. I paid about $1800 new pre COVID supply chain issues. Crossroad trailers in Wareham had the best price at the time, I'm sure they have gone up.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Fuzzytrout you can't go wrong with an E-Z Loader aluminum trailer. If your going to be dunking a trailer a few times a week aluminum is the way to go.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

I was hoping someone with the same hull would respond.

I think I'm going to try to track down a venture Vask 1800. its aluminum, i want an aluminum trailer as I dunk it 5x a week in saltwater

its 65" between the fenders, with a bow eye to transom of 17’6″, the length is tight but it should be ok. the FS18 is going to weigh less then the trailer 8O hopefully :roll:

Fuzzytrout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fuzzytrout »

Manage to get her out of the box and onto a stand!

Glassed the hull lastnight finally! my wife mixed small batches of epoxy while my friend and I spread it with plastic squeegees and then used the metal roller over it all to work out any issues. I think we did a pretty good job, there are a few spots where I could have squeezed out more epoxy, but nothing too crazy! no pools or anything!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice motor for Christmas!!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

That is some fine looking glass work!
Pretty sure you are going to like that outboard. But at this point I feel all the major builders of outboards are making good products. And if they are EFI it is amazing just how good they run.