Page 1 of 1

FS18 on Cape Cod!

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:19 pm
by Fuzzytrout
BBC got me. This will be my 2nd boat, I fished my SK14 hard this year and learned alot about what I really need in a boat vs what I really want in a boat :lol:

I decided to cut the plans out myself instead of going with the CNC kit. This way its my boat, mistakes and all 8O

I'm following Cracker Larrys build thread, I hope my boat comes out half as straight as his...

The beginning! Strongback built and level (the iphone level app is actually awesome), pieces cut and ready for the hull panels!
My first small batch of epoxy from BBC should be here today, so hopefully later today I'm gluing up my transom and stringers...

Figuring this build is WAY more involved, I'll probably have a thousand questions for everyone!

Re: FS18 on Cape Cod!

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:56 pm
by TomW1
Why an FS18 on Cape Cod. Where are you goining to be fishing and what are you be fishing for. Where are you launching from. To me the FS18 does not make sense for Cape Cod unless you can explain your reason for it. The bay is fairly deep and the canal is also. No islands to fish around in the bay. Well let me know.

Tom

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:00 pm
by Fuzz
I love to see the virus infecting others! :lol: This looks like it will be a fun project.

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:39 pm
by fallguy1000
wondering the same thing as Tom

Probably some better options for you.

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:04 pm
by VT_Jeff
Where's he going fishing? I suspect it will be wherever the fish are. This is a guy who does laps around Martha's Vineyard in an SK14, I expect hell be taking the FS18 to the Grand Bsnks if he thinks the bite is on.

If you havent been to the cape lately, theres about an endless amount of bays and marshes to fish, an FS18 will be perfect for all that inland water, as well as chasing albies in the sound when they're blitzing.

Build on/tie on/paint on!

Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:29 pm
by PapaDave
You will love the FS18. I have not used my SK14 since finishing the FS18 build. The boat cruises with a 20hp and I use a SUP paddle to move it while fishing with the motor up. It is a small boat, but perfect for two and luxurious running solo. Fun boat to build and fish. Enjoy the process.
Dave

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:08 pm
by jonnymac
I think a few people need to open up google earth or maps in satellite view and look at cape cod and adjacent Mass again. There is tons of area both inland and along the coast a smaller boat would be better. Remember that New England rivers are shallow.

edited: for grammer

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:35 pm
by fallguy1000
jonnymac wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:08 pm I think a few people need to open up google earth or maps in satellite view and look at cape cod and adjacent Mass again. There is tons of area both inland and along the coast a smaller boat would be better. Remember that New England rivers are shallow.

It is really only conversational. The FS18 is a great boat for inshore, but limited offshore, so am more interested in hearing from OP about his fishing than anything.

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:37 pm
by Fuzzytrout
TomW1 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:56 pm Why an FS18 on Cape Cod. Where are you goining to be fishing and what are you be fishing for. Where are you launching from. To me the FS18 does not make sense for Cape Cod unless you can explain your reason for it. The bay is fairly deep and the canal is also. No islands to fish around in the bay. Well let me know.

Tom
I have never and will never take any boat through the canal. Not necessary for the type of fishing I do. Only boats that travel through the canal are tuna or bass guys who need to get bait from one end, and then go through the canal and go fish the opposite bay....that isnt me. I plan on launching in buzzards bay, vineyard sound, Cape Cod Bay (Barnstable harbor) and chatham (stage harbor) Ive used all these launches with my SK14 without issue so far. My home launch is Waquiot Bay, because I live 5 minutes from it and can get to 75% of my fishing grounds from there. I fished literally 5-6 days all summer long launching at 530 am ;)

I will use the FS18 to fish the back bays in the spring for bass and blues, the vineyard sound rips in the spring, the brewster and barnstable flats for sight fishing to bass, as well as Monomoy island flats to sight fish for bass as well. Buzzards Bay I dont fish that much, mainly cause my cape cod side of it doesn't fish that great for bass anymore. I don't really bottom fish, just sight fishing or flyfishing for bass, blues, and albies, and maybe a real deal tuna. my fall fishing is mainly in vineyard sound chasing albies.

No islands to fish around? If you are ever up here and the wind aint bad I'll take you fishing around the Elizabeth Islands, or we can cruise over to the vineyard and fish that shoreline. Yes I'll need to pick my days, but these are all places I've already taken my SK14. My favorite spot in the Elizabeths to fish is only 12 miles from my launch. the vineyard is 4.5 miles from my launch.

I dont fish much out open in cape cod bay. This fall I chased some blitzes around sandy neck into CCB, but didnt go far.

On good days I plan to head 9-15 miles offshore off chatham to chase tuna. Yet again pick your days, watch your weather, and go out with a bigger buddy boat ;)

I need a boat that is:

number one thing. Good with a push pole and have room for a real poling platform. 90% of my fishing happens in 2-8' of calm water sight fishing.

Light enough to tow with my subaru forester, and light enough to tow around the East Coast easily. I have family in Pine Island in Florida and Charleston SC, so I'll bring the boat down there for some sight fishing with my wife and dog. We brought the SK14 to pine island last spring and LOVED IT.

Light enough to push back into the water after the tide on the flats drops 6 ft and 3" of water is 200 ft away. I regularly fish at night and anchor the boat on the flats and get out and wade fish. 2-3 hrs later I'll come back to the boat and have to push it quite a distance to the water.

Large enough to fish two people, or my wife and our dog on vacations pushing around the flats. She only likes fishing when its sight fishing so that aint a bad problem to have ;)

Small enough engine to service / maintain myself. Small enough engine to take into my house every winter, easily take off the boat etc etc.
Built in aluminum tank, Electric start, Mech steering. All will make it easier for my wife to dock and launch / start the boat solo, and also drive while we are on vacation.

rods under the gunnels, and some basic storage for some family camping...

those are my needs. FS18 is gonna be great for me. SK14 is just a little too tiny to fish with my wife and dog :)

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:42 pm
by Fuzzytrout
fallguy1000 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:39 pm wondering the same thing as Tom

Probably some better options for you.
A c19 might be next winter build after my FS18. A real offshore boat would be nice. one boat a winter for me though :help:

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:44 pm
by Fuzzytrout
PapaDave wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:29 pm You will love the FS18. I have not used my SK14 since finishing the FS18 build. The boat cruises with a 20hp and I use a SUP paddle to move it while fishing with the motor up. It is a small boat, but perfect for two and luxurious running solo. Fun boat to build and fish. Enjoy the process.
Dave
Thanks Dave! and thanks for the offer for the FS 18 pieces, I just never got off the Cape during my crazy summer tourist season. Then my wood came, and i just cut the pieces myself. But I really apprieciate the offer, if you are every on the cape I'll take you out on the FS!

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:45 pm
by Fuzzytrout
VT_Jeff wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:04 pm Where's he going fishing? I suspect it will be wherever the fish are. This is a guy who does laps around Martha's Vineyard in an SK14, I expect hell be taking the FS18 to the Grand Bsnks if he thinks the bite is on.

If you havent been to the cape lately, theres about an endless amount of bays and marshes to fish, an FS18 will be perfect for all that inland water, as well as chasing albies in the sound when they're blitzing.

Build on/tie on/paint on!
It was great to met Jeff this summer /fall at my local boat ramp, luck would have it he was coming back to ramp in front of me and I easily recognized his boat!

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:54 pm
by Fuzzytrout
Fuzz wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:00 pm I love to see the virus infecting others! :lol: This looks like it will be a fun project.
Chasing a blitz of albies and landing the first alby on my SK 14 was awesome! cant wait to do the same on this boat!

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:57 pm
by Fuzzytrout
motoring out of my local bay into vineyard sound

3-4 miles out in the middle of nowhere

at least the can keeps ya company ;)

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:02 pm
by fallguy1000
That fish is pretty. Yeah. I said pretty.

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:04 pm
by Fuzz
Yep you need a bigger boat :D
Catching those abbies in that boat has to be pretty sporting. I went fishing off Mexico once and we got into 25# yellow fins. I was amazed how hard they fight. They flat wore everyone on board plum out.

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:17 pm
by Fuzzytrout
fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:02 pm That fish is pretty. Yeah. I said pretty.
I can't disagree, figuring I decided to paint marine life and scenes as my livelyhood 8O

this is my watercolor albie. I did a good job, but can't come close to the beauty of nature!

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:24 pm
by Fuzzytrout
Fuzz wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:04 pm Yep you need a bigger boat :D
Catching those abbies in that boat has to be pretty sporting. I went fishing off Mexico once and we got into 25# yellow fins. I was amazed how hard they fight. They flat wore everyone on board plum out.
Cant agree more about the bigger boat!

Albies are fun on light spin rod or a fly rod. Poor mans inshore Tuna! I'm glad you cant eat them or there would be none left in the ocean, as they aren't the smartest fish in the ocean 8O

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:27 pm
by fallguy1000
Fuzzytrout wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:17 pm
fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:02 pm That fish is pretty. Yeah. I said pretty.
I can't disagree, figuring I decided to paint marine life and scenes as my livelyhood 8O

this is my watercolor albie. I did a good job, but can't come close to the beauty of nature!

Cool. Can I keep the fa in the gulf?

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:41 pm
by jonnymac
fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:35 pm
jonnymac wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:08 pm I think a few people need to open up google earth or maps in satellite view and look at cape cod and adjacent Mass again. There is tons of area both inland and along the coast a smaller boat would be better. Remember that New England rivers are shallow.

It is really only conversational. The FS18 is a great boat for inshore, but limited offshore, so am more interested in hearing from OP about his fishing than anything.
a hint at a better conversational might be asking what someone does BEFORE you tell them they are building the wrong boat…

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:38 pm
by TomW1
Fuzzytrout thanks for your detailed descrition of your fishing areas and what you do. While I think the LM18 would have been a better boat for you the FS18 will work.
Keep us up to date with your build with pictures and then some fishing tales. You do some beautiful art work.

Tom

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:02 pm
by Fuzzytrout
this wasn't much fun.... keeping them vertical instead of flat helped, but it was still a hot mess

I tried to clean them up the best i could before.

and then after used the sureform to clean em up!

then spliced all my panels. I was sure to use the router to take out some material on the outside so the glass splices would sit flush!

Cutting the frames to fit the stringers! I cut the slots with just a hand saw and a square to get just right. slow and steady builds the boat!

8-O :-D Somebody sure was smiling down on me lastnight! woohoo!

I can't believe how good it all lined up

I have my decks and 5" gunnels in place already, so these little zip ties help ensure it was all lined up.

Another helpful little zip tie to ensure everything is flush. I am going with the flush deck obviously.

primed the seams with some neat epoxy and then added some wood floor in bewteen the zip ties..

Trying my best to no waste epoxy and over use epoxy just to sand it off the next day ;)

yet again! I'm amazed how good this lined up. Thank you for such good plans and thanks so much to everyone on this forum past and present. If it wasn't for this forum I dont think I'd be on boat #2. At first I was thinking I made a huge mistake by not ordering the precut kit so everything fits nicely, so this is huge weight off my back about how nicely it turned out!

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:05 pm
by Jeff
Nice work!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:06 pm
by Fuzzytrout
TomW1 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:38 pm Fuzzytrout thanks for your detailed descrition of your fishing areas and what you do. While I think the LM18 would have been a better boat for you the FS18 will work.
Keep us up to date with your build with pictures and then some fishing tales. You do some beautiful art work.

Tom
thanks Tom! I'm totally self taught artist, I do both watercolor and oil paintings. I have my own gallery here on cape cod ( :help: its so much work, which is why building a boat seems like FUN to me ).

you can check out my work on my website, www.davidriina.com

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:17 pm
by Fuzzytrout
Jeff wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:05 pm Nice work!!! Jeff
Thanks so much Jeff! you guys win the award for fastest shipping on the internet everytime I order something!

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:51 pm
by Jeff
Thank you for the kind words!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:12 pm
by jonnymac
Fuzzytrout wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:17 pm
Jeff wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:05 pm Nice work!!! Jeff
Thanks so much Jeff! you guys win the award for fastest shipping on the internet everytime I order something!
Isn’t that the truth!

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:39 pm
by VT_Jeff
Man, great progress, you are making it look easy, the way it should be!

All the work is looking good and clean. what a joy when everything lines up like that, stoked for ya!

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:26 am
by Fuzzytrout
VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:39 pm Man, great progress, you are making it look easy, the way it should be!

All the work is looking good and clean. what a joy when everything lines up like that, stoked for ya!
my SK14 i nervously rushed along, like most new builders!

this build im taking my time and just trying to work neat and think things through before I do em. This boat I plan on keeping for a long time.

when you are back on cape cod ill take you out on the new FS!

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:34 am
by glossieblack
Fuzzytrout wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:02 pm
Another helpful little zip tie to ensure everything is flush. I am going with the flush deck obviously.
Impressive they way you've gone to the trouble of getting hull and decking panels aligned early on. :D

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:02 pm
by VT_Jeff
Fuzzytrout wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:26 am when you are back on cape cod ill take you out on the new FS!
Absolutely!

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:03 pm
by Fuzzytrout
Sorry for the lack of pictures, but there has been zero boat progress...

People are shopping early and my gallery is crazy busy. I have zero time for the boat. Its ready for fiberglassing....I'll order that this week and hopefully to able to find a day where I can dedicate to that, but it might have to wait till after christmas!

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:05 pm
by Fuzzytrout
Getting my glass kit and tessilmare rubrail today from BBC, so I guess its time to get back to work!

I have a question about Jack Plates! Hopefully someone can help me cause I don't know much about boats 8O

I am planning on running a 25 or 30 hp suzuki. 15" or 20" shaft honestly whatever outboard I can find, engines seem hard to come by now and days.

I was going to purchase a Vance manufacturing manual jack plate. my question is there any benefit to the 7" setback versus the 5"? Does it depend on your engine? If I wind up with a 15" shaft will I need the setback the 7" jackplate has or will the 5" offer enough when the engine is tilted forward?

I'm really hoping i can find a 20" shaft 30 hp, but just in case I want to make sure the jackplate will work with both, just need to be installed lower on the transom with the 15". I just worry the jackplate with a 15" will have to be so low on the transom that it will hit something once tilted forward.

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:44 pm
by Reid
Fuzzytrout,

I would try and get a 20" shaft outboard for the FS18. I think you will have to really increase the setback in order to accommodate a 15" shaft outboard. I am putting a Bob's Machine Shop Mini Versa Manual Jack Plate on my FS18. It has a 5.5" setback. When you position the engine further and further from the transom you run the risk of changing the center of balance and thus changing the way the hull sits and rides in the water.
Hope this helps.
-Reid

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:01 am
by TomW1
Fuzzytrout definately use the 5" setback for the reasons Reid mentioned. I use Yamaha motors to compare specifications, looking at them I would stay with a 25HP as their 30HP weighs almost 100lbs more and you would have to mess around with adjusting weights forward. If you like I can check Merc and Stzuki motors if you are going with one of them. Let me know.

Regards, Tom

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:17 pm
by Fuzzytrout
the 25hp suzuki weights 156lbs, the 30hp suzuki weights 163lbs, so i figure for the exact same weight i'll try to find the 30 hp which is only offered in a 20".

i'll try to find my engine.

thanks for getting back to me!

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:08 pm
by TomW1
Fuzzytrout wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:17 pm the 25hp suzuki weights 156lbs, the 30hp suzuki weights 163lbs, so i figure for the exact same weight i'll try to find the 30 hp which is only offered in a 20".

i'll try to find my engine.

thanks for getting back to me!
Good deal. Enjoy I figured you knew what you were doing. Really like the Suzuki's.

Tom

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:23 am
by Fuzzytrout
TomW1 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:08 pm
Good deal. Enjoy I figured you knew what you were doing. Really like the Suzuki's.

Tom
Tom I have zero clue what I'm doing :lol: :lol: :lol:

trust me you'll see, I have lots of questions coming!

I think I found a 25hp 20". going to check it out later this week!

Gonna glass the hull tommorrow!

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:50 pm
by Fuzzytrout
I feel like I'm doing a much better job this time around, using ALOT less epoxy..

got my two layers on the keel and all around the transom.

I finished this watercolor of a bluefish not to long ago! It came out good!

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:55 pm
by Fuzz
For a man who says he knows nothing that glass work looks pretty dang good. :wink:

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:57 pm
by VT_Jeff
Nice glass work and painting, I hope they're flying out of the gallery for you these days! That's a great feeling, going back to do something after having been through it, learned some stuff, and feel like you're doing it a much higher level. My 5th and 6th years of High school had some of that feel to them.

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:39 pm
by Fuzzytrout
Fuzz wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:55 pm For a man who says he knows nothing that glass work looks pretty dang good. :wink:
THANK YOU!

I'm just mixing much smaller batches of epoxy and going slow. the first boat I mixed too much and tried to cover too large an area, and just wound up working sloppy and fast. slow and steady builds the boat!

having the right tools helps a ton. I got some of those corona glass rollers from Reid, they don' t hold a ton of epoxy so that helps me not use a ton when priming the bare wood with epoxy. then I laid down my cloth, poured some epoxy on top, and used the plastic squeegee to move the epoxy around. let is sit for 5 minutes and soak in, and then come back and roll it with the little metal fiberglass roller and work out any air bubbles. that little metal roller is magic! its the reason why that glass work looks good. after that I use the squeegee again and push any excess epoxy out of the fiberglass, and then tried to clean up the surrounding areas the best i could.

I was going to try to glass the entire hull one shot, but man was I tired after that, and tired work is usually crappy work...

I'll give it a light sand and then finish the outside this weekend.

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:41 pm
by Fuzzytrout
VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:57 pm Nice glass work and painting, I hope they're flying out of the gallery for you these days! That's a great feeling, going back to do something after having been through it, learned some stuff, and feel like you're doing it a much higher level. My 5th and 6th years of High school had some of that feel to them.
painting and boat building a very similar.

a million small mundane steps to build a nice boat

a million small mundane brush strokes to paint a nice painting

8O

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:54 pm
by Fuzz
Speaking of the metal rollers for getting bubbles out I too love them. I have laid a ton, well many tons, of poly and glass. Getting the air out of matt and roving is a must do. If you are doing it right you can hear the small bubbles bursting. In this style of building it lets you get the glass down well and get some excess resin out. If you are laying more than one layer at a time the roller really comes into its own.

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:53 pm
by Fuzzytrout
8O

25 HP 20" shaft. super happy to have a new motor!

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:48 pm
by Dan_Smullen
The new Suzuki is almost as pretty as the bluefish painting. It's beautiful.

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:06 pm
by VT_Jeff
Ba............BOOM!

Congrats, that is SWEET!

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:08 pm
by Jeff
Nice!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:50 pm
by cape man
Gotta love a new motor!!!

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:36 am
by fallguy1000
I gotta ask if you are gonna put that painting on the boat.

That new motor has to feel like opening a xmas toy.

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:49 pm
by Fuzzytrout
thanks for the kind words about the bluefish! thats the original watercolor that thankfully sold pretty quickly!

No artwork on the boat!

my paint plan:
black graphite bottom, seafoam green hull, some kind of not to bright white deck paint and some non skid on top. the Seadeck on my sk14 utterly destroyed my paint, stained it something gross to the point where it needs to be sanded and painted... def never using that stuff again

I was planning a built in aluminum tank up front along with the starter battery up front. A small center console / seat kinda similar to what I built for my sk14, and some mechanical steering. so pardon my ignorance as I've never owned a boat..I have so many questions..... :doh:

first of many questions!!!!! 'm looking at all the gauges I'll need, it's not much more money to just get the SMG4 multifunction gauge, plus it will take up much less space on my tiny console then 3 or 4 solo gauges. I also I'm going to keep my simrad go7, which has the nmea2000 port....

I'm assuming its worth hooking them all together just to get the engine data / codes / etc etc?

Do i need a certain type fuel sender for my gas tank to work with all the stuff? :help: :doh: 8O :help: :doh:

I paint fish for a living :lol:

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:05 pm
by TomW1
Very nice guy. That Susuzi is beutiful as is the fish. The fuel sender on the tank is universal it will have two wires on it that goes to what ever guage you have. You will have to installl a green ground wire from the fuel fill to the fuel sender and then another to your ground block.

Tom

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:33 pm
by VT_Jeff
I've been pleasantly surprised by the oyster white I used by total boat. I originally thought it was too beige but now I love it, if you're looking for off-white suggestions.

I'll also say that once I got it figured out, the grit that bbc sells makes great non skid.

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:07 pm
by Fuzzytrout
TRAILER recommendations for the FS18???

What does everyone who has this boat run for a trailer?

for my sk14 I found an old little galvanized ez loader I fixed up. for this boat Id rather a new aluminum trailer

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:26 pm
by joe2700
Fuzzytrout wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:07 pm TRAILER recommendations for the FS18???

What does everyone who has this boat run for a trailer?

for my sk14 I found an old little galvanized ez loader I fixed up. for this boat Id rather a new aluminum trailer
I got a new Karavan galvanized trailer for my FS17. I also wanted aluminum but found them difficult to find in this small a size and they didn't actually save any weight in this size either. Since I keep my boat on a slip I'm not constantly dunking the trailer in salt water so figured galvanized was ok. The trailer seems to be high quality and I've had no problem with it over the past 2+ years. I paid about $1800 new pre COVID supply chain issues. Crossroad trailers in Wareham had the best price at the time, I'm sure they have gone up.

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:17 pm
by TomW1
Fuzzytrout you can't go wrong with an E-Z Loader aluminum trailer. If your going to be dunking a trailer a few times a week aluminum is the way to go.

Tom

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:16 pm
by Fuzzytrout
I was hoping someone with the same hull would respond.

I think I'm going to try to track down a venture Vask 1800. its aluminum, i want an aluminum trailer as I dunk it 5x a week in saltwater

its 65" between the fenders, with a bow eye to transom of 17’6″, the length is tight but it should be ok. the FS18 is going to weigh less then the trailer 8O hopefully :roll:

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:22 pm
by Fuzzytrout
Manage to get her out of the box and onto a stand!

Glassed the hull lastnight finally! my wife mixed small batches of epoxy while my friend and I spread it with plastic squeegees and then used the metal roller over it all to work out any issues. I think we did a pretty good job, there are a few spots where I could have squeezed out more epoxy, but nothing too crazy! no pools or anything!

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:02 pm
by Jeff
Nice motor for Christmas!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:23 pm
by Fuzz
That is some fine looking glass work!
Pretty sure you are going to like that outboard. But at this point I feel all the major builders of outboards are making good products. And if they are EFI it is amazing just how good they run.

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:57 am
by Fuzzytrout
thanks!

I asked my wife what she got me for christmas she replied " I let you buy the motor" :lol:

I agree about the motors, esp the new motors. Ask a yamaha guy and he loves his yamaha, ask a mercury guy he loves his mercury, etc etc etc

I'm just happy to have a new motor to break in gently and maintain correctly. hopefully avoid the bottom with the skeg :roll:

I've been doing some googlin about the smg4 gauge and the nmea2000 network stuff, the nmea2000 is total overkill, all its gonna get me is the same info displayed on the simrad, which doesn't do much for me. the smg4 gauge displays all the info i'll want plus it has the fancy app that lets you scan a barcode and it sends all the information off to a dealer. thats really all i care about for the long term maintenance of the engine.

I gotta sell the side control box the engine came with and get the single binnacle for the CC, I was gonna sell the suzuki gas tank at first, but now I think I should keep it and the hose it came with as backup in case my wife and I decided to go camping for a couple days and might need extra gas...

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:23 pm
by Fuzzytrout
Glassed the inside!

the magic of the metal epoxy roller and plastic squeegee! looks good!

I'll add some glass to the bare spots of wood under the gunwhales

glassed in all my frames. my drainage holes will be minimal so I'll just drill holes after.
also got 3 layers of 6mm okume on for my rubrail. I noticed when i stitched my panels together I made the sheer line up front a little crooked and short so i fixed it with the rubrail. I'll fill in the little gap with some epoxy and wood flour and no on will ever know.

transon knees glassed in there.

Gonna drill some holes in the boat while its right side up, and then tomorrow flip the boat back over and start fairing the hull.

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:57 pm
by Fuzzytrout

$400 brand new if anyone wants it let me know! i can ship for sure!

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:18 pm
by PapaDave
Nice work. The boat looks great. Keep the momentum going and she will be done soon.
Dave

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:25 pm
by VT_Jeff
Fuzzytrout wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:57 pm Image

What are you replacing it with? I'm using the same thing for my Honda, the side mount. Not sure what alternatives may exist.

Progress is looking sweet, way to roll!

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:08 pm
by Fuzzytrout
VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:25 pm
Fuzzytrout wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:57 pm Image

What are you replacing it with? I'm using the same thing for my Honda, the side mount. Not sure what alternatives may exist.

Progress is looking sweet, way to roll!
Thanks!

im replacing it with the single binnacle for a center console.

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:13 pm
by Fuzzytrout
SOOOOO.... did some boring stuff. made some holes for things in the transom, sharped the chimes, isntalled my skeg, etc etc etc...

the SK 14 was small enough that the fairing and sanding wasn't so bad...

now i get it. this kinda sucked. glad its over with... lost 10 lbs so far!

graphite on the bottom looking good! I wound up using the west systems foam rollers, and then coming back with the heat gun to pop the bubbles the foam roller left. using a propane torch to remove the bubbles left the epoxy/graphite mixture looking funky and kinda toasted.. I tried using the glasskoter rollers and various lint free short nap hair rollers, they all left a slight orange peel finish, and my hot water bathed graphite mixture still wouldn't flow out... the foam rollers seemed to be the only thing that left a nice smooth coat...

What paint roller does everyone recommend for the S3 yacht primer ? Will a foam roller leave lots of air bubbles like it did epoxy (im assuming yes)

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:41 pm
by Reid
Just did another two coats of primer (I used the System Three Yacht Primer) on my FS18. I used a 4" high density foam roller. These work really well. I was painting in 70 degree temps. I didn't even need to come back and tip the primer, the bubbles popped by themselves leaving me with a really nice finish.
-Reid
ps: the graphite works looks really good!!!
FS18 Outside Primer 1.jpg
FS18 Outside Primer 2.jpg

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:58 pm
by Fuzzytrout
thanks Reid! i'll give me em a shot! I used those with my SK14 and had decent results, I was just wondering what everyone else used.

your FS is looking good!

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:15 am
by Fuzzytrout

im going to tape off my graphite, sand the sides with 220, and my primer gets here tuesday! I'm busy overdrilling and filling holes with carbon fiber tubes (thanks Bob aka toadfish!)

jackplate should be here today!

Trailer is coming next week or two!

Now that im going to flip the boat over and work on the inside soon, i have lots of questions!

First off, I decided no center console, I'm going to build a small side console starboard side kinda like what beavertail skiffs offers..

because of that, my weight will tend to be more starboard, i was thinking of putting the starter battery in the portside transom storage, left of the portside stringer....

good idea? bad idea? What's the smallest starter battery I can get away with? manual says 650 mca/512 cca. engine has power tilt and trim, and also has a pull start so if it dies I can just pull start it...

I like this idea because it means I dont need to make the stock battery cables longer, they will reach no problem. also i only plan to use the engines alternator to charge this starter battery, so this is gonna be its own circuit.

I was planning on putting my house battery in the first compartment in the bow (tiny little 24AH lithium battery, it just runs my 7" simrad and some led lights,bilge pump, i just remove it for charging), along with room for maybe a trolling motor battery in there as well down the line (which ill just remove for charging). trolling motor battery would be on its own circuit, I'd keep all the wires and stuff for the trolling motor up there. house battery is gonna run down under starboard gunwhale to fuse box in side console.

2nd storage locker is gonna house the gas tank, and then portside gunwhale is gonna run fuel line down to transom.

i'll draw up a real diagram monday/ tuesday when i get a day off. :doh: :roll: :help: :lol:

so my question was! Whats the smallest starter battery I could get away with? :D

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:26 pm
by Fuzzytrout
super hi tech diagram. nothing under the sole, everything under the gunwhales

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:04 pm
by Cbuf
Just remember to over support the wiring. The gauges you have to use is heavy and when your pounding it add a bunch of snap weight. Back in my younger days I tried supporting 4 awg wiring for a trolling motors from the back to the front (22'). I was breaking zip ties and heavy duty ss straps where the screws were pulling out of the wood and breaking 3/8 pop rivits in the aluminum . Conduit would be the best option just support it every foot.

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:13 pm
by TomW1
Good start but I do not see any return black negative wiring or green ground wiring. Also, what about the fuel fill. Also, on the fuel tank you have sounder on it I think you meant sender. Well as time goes on you can fill in your diagram for the other things. Will enjoy watching the rest of your build.

Tom

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:58 pm
by Fuzzytrout
TomW1 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:13 pm Good start but I do not see any return black negative wiring or green ground wiring. Also, what about the fuel fill. Also, on the fuel tank you have sounder on it I think you meant sender. Well as time goes on you can fill in your diagram for the other things. Will enjoy watching the rest of your build.

Tom
thanks Tom! I left out some stuff for sure!

I filled in some more. The thicker lines are conduit, i was planning on protecting the wires as much as i can!

So from the bow, the little house battery will run down to the side console neg bus bar and fuse box. led deck lights,led nav lights, and the fuel sender will run down the same conduit to the console. I dont have even a remotely large electrical load on that battery. bilge draws like 1.7 amps when on, i forgot what my 7watt fish finder takes but it aint much. i gets like a 2 amp fuse I think they recommended so it aint much! the led lights wont be much draw either.. so I dont think I need a huge cable between my little house battery and the neg bus bar/ fuse box in the side console.

the conduit coming from the transom to the console will have the bile wiring, anchor light, and engine wiring harness (which is pretty thick, it splits into a couple plugs that fit my side throttle key thing etc. im assuming the other wires are for the digital gauge and fuel sender etc).

the throttle and shifter cables I was gonna run in one conduit together, the steering cable its own conduit, and the transducer cable its own conduit going back to the transom.

The ground I left out because its one of the many questions i have! So the fuel fill and tank share a ground and that runs down to? the neg bus bar and then the engine? just the engine? whats else gets a ground in my setup and where does it goes? :doh: :help:

fuse on the starter battery? no fuse cause it would be a huge ass fuse and take forever to change god forbid something goes wrong and I need to start asap?

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:13 pm
by TomW1
There will be a ground screw on the motor that the green wire will go to. There should also be a ground post on the negative panel to ground all electricals on the boat. You can ground the fuel tank to this.

Tom

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:08 pm
by Fuzzytrout
sorry for the lack of progess pictures, but im still cranking away. almost to the finish line... I'll post up more of my progress shots after some field testing...

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:17 pm
by Fuzzytrout
i had to do some field testing before i gave her a finished paint job!

she floats nicely!

happy wife happy life!

mission accomplished. my first redfish!

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:56 pm
by VT_Jeff
Redfish in cape cod?

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:16 pm
by Fuzzytrout
someone had to field test the boat in its natural habitat ;) had to test out and make sure the platform works ;)

i was gonna stop by BBC but i was on the other side of the state and only had a week down there with the boat! def not enough time!

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:15 am
by Fuzzytrout

its a real boat! :)

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:27 pm
by TomW1
Very nice. :D Tom

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:07 pm
by VT_Jeff
Awesome Mike!

Very interested in the poling platform, I need to redo mine to accommodate bigger motor.