New EPA gasoline fuel systems.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: New EPA gasoline fuel systems.

Post by OrangeQuest »

Seems the easiest way to comply with these regulations is the pressured system. My little portable tank is in EPA compliance, and I am sure it meets the ABYC standards also.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

OrangeQuest wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:53 pm Seems the easiest way to comply with these regulations is the pressured system. My little portable tank is in EPA compliance, and I am sure it meets the ABYC standards also.
You are correct all of the manufacturers of small portable tanks build them to be in compiance with both regs.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I spoke with the surveyor today and he said diurnal tanks are not required and neither are carbon canisters. If someone has the abyc docs and can cite the specific rule requiring charcoal cans or diurnal tanks; please do so. Thus far, noone has...
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

fallguy1000 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:03 pm I spoke with the surveyor today and he said diurnal tanks are not required and neither are carbon canisters. If someone has the abyc docs and can cite the specific rule requiring charcoal cans or diurnal tanks; please do so. Thus far, noone has...
Geez Dan! If you spend a 1000 hours combing through millions of websites you too can find it! Closest I found. :D
https://www.gerrmarine.com/Articles/Gas ... ntsNew.pdf
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

OrangeQuest wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:58 pm
fallguy1000 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:03 pm I spoke with the surveyor today and he said diurnal tanks are not required and neither are carbon canisters. If someone has the abyc docs and can cite the specific rule requiring charcoal cans or diurnal tanks; please do so. Thus far, noone has...
Geez Dan! If you spend a 1000 hours combing through millions of websites you too can find it! Closest I found. :D
https://www.gerrmarine.com/Articles/Gas ... ntsNew.pdf
ABYC never adopted the standard. I called the surveyor to ask if I can use t taps, and asked him as long as he was on the phone.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

fallguy1000 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:41 pm
ABYC never adopted the standard. I called the surveyor to ask if I can use t taps, and asked him as long as he was on the phone.
Here is from the ABYC statement: https://abycinc.org/page/StandardsSupp58

This link could be helpful to others that want a little info on the ABYC standards.

Which you can see they reference to the EPA standard.
https://ecfr.io/Title-40/Volume-37/Chapter-I

The ECFR website is helpful in other ways too.
A. A. Milne

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Here are two semplifecations of the ABYC rules and EPA from which they were developed by David Gerr and Moeller fuel tanks. https://www.gerrmarine.com/Articles/Gas ... ntsNew.pdf https://www.moellermarine.com/regulatio ... implified/ The 2011 date is the date date of the EPA regs the ABYC rules were put is place in 2013. Gerr references ABYC H-24 and H-25 at the end of his article. These were put in place back in 2013. fallguy they are real rules that need to be followed. The two sources above explain them pretty well. Like I said in one of my above posts Cracer Larry and I apent a couple-three weeks on these regs and posted a simplified version on here back in late 2013. In reality ABYC condensed the EPA regs into an effect set more understandable and less costly regs. The paragraph for homebuilt boats is the last one on Page 5 of the Gerr article.

fallguy every boat that uses permanent tanks must have an anti-spill back fill system and a carbon canister vent sysyem or a more complicated pressurized fuel system. These are required to meet Diurnal(daily) emission requirments. If you don't that is up to you, but those are the regs.

Regards, Tom
Last edited by TomW1 on Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Funny thing is I have never seen the abyc citation that requires it. A lot of talk, a lot of articles, but never any real hard statement that says diurnal and carbon canisters are the only thing allowed. And this is what I was told. They are not required.

Funny how we can't get to an answer wothout spending 500 bucks on abyc rules, too.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

The CG doesn't even state they are required.

https://safeafloat.com/wp-content/uploa ... l-4-14.pdf

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:53 pm Funny thing is I have never seen the abyc citation that requires it. A lot of talk, a lot of articles, but never any real hard statement that says diurnal and carbon canisters are the only thing allowed. And this is what I was told. They are not required.

Funny how we can't get to an answer wothout spending 500 bucks on abyc rules, too.
Jacques designs all of his boats to ABYC standards and expects us to follow us to finish them to the same standards. He states he designs them that way in most plans. Why finish a boat to second rate systems that may make it unsellable.

Tom