White oak and epoxy

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: White oak and epoxy

Post by Jaysen »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:58 am But why would you epoxy on a wear strip anyhow?
Because when you remove it, you don't have to deal with the silicone mess that 5200 leaves behind. Have you ever tried to really get 5200 off a spot that you need to paint or glue? Damn near impossible to get a clean surface after 5200 or 4200 in my experience. you just grind that silicone into the lower layers.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

I really thought I had read that Jacques recommended ply for strakes and runners. I must’ve dreamed that.

These runners will not see much wear. Yeah, they will occasionally hit something real, but this is a slow river boat so will see more sticks and sandy bottoms than anything else.

Jbo

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:01 pm
fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:58 am But why would you epoxy on a wear strip anyhow?
Because when you remove it, you don't have to deal with the silicone mess that 5200 leaves behind. Have you ever tried to really get 5200 off a spot that you need to paint or glue? Damn near impossible to get a clean surface after 5200 or 4200 in my experience. you just grind that silicone into the lower layers.
My beaching keel timbers are on per designer with 5200.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

I found some ash, but it’s 50% more than the white oak. Good thing I didn’t get into this for the savings. :)

Jbo

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

so are these going to be outside the hull, unpainted or painted?

white oak in freshwater continuously submerged is going last as long as the boat. so I wouldn’t worry as much about repair. if you use epoxy and it falls off, you just put another piece back on.

The white oak used to repair the uss constitution is kept in a pond. They take out what they need, then put the rest back.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Strangely enough. I think I knew that about the Constitution.

These will be on the outside. They’ll be glassed and coated with epoxy/graphite.

Jbo

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

As a guy with a white oak clamping board, skeg and strakes, wish me luck!

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

My rub rail is white oak that is epoxied to the hull and it took an large amount of force to clamp it on around the bend near the bow especially to force the twist so if you are epoxying well prepped white oak to somewhere not under a lot of strain I don't think you will have a problem. I even have an epoxied scarf that also survived the bending. I think I sanded with 80 grit, cleaned well with denatured alcohol, and glued with gel magic.

This is the post where I scarf and then install the rubrail: viewtopic.php?p=418950#p418950