SC LM18 build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
JeremyCreek
New Poster
New Poster

SC LM18 build

Post by JeremyCreek »

Hey!
I'm gonna build a boat!
I've built boats before but it's been awhile...like 25 years.
I ran into a guy who had brought his FS18 to the Georgetown Wooden Boat show a few weeks ago and decided I needed a project.
So the LM18 CNC kit and the SilverTip epoxy kit are now being opened up. I must say, I'm impressed with the quality of the CNC kit, it's like the plastic airplane kits I used to put together as a kid but bigger.
I've got my strongback built and am starting to laminate the stringers and transom and already I'm getting bogged down with questions (despite the forums).
Thank goodness for Reid and his willingness and ability to communicate.
So, I will have questions, many questions along the way and look forward to frank exchanges with y'all.
I'm not tech savvy and one of the initial issues is getting pictures posted in the message.
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you all in advance and let the journey begin!
JeremyCreek

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SC LM18 build

Post by Jeff »

Jaysen, would you see if you can assist JeremyCreek?? Enjoy your sailing weekend!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Sure thing Jeff!

JC, I’m a fan of the built in phpBB gallery. A while back I created a demo to show how to use the gallery including album creation. That demo is viewtopic.php?t=64990

There is the coppermine gallery as well as attachments to posts. If you don’t like the phpBB gallery let me know is and I’ll provide more details on the other options.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

JeremyCreek
New Poster
New Poster

Post by JeremyCreek »

Hey guys, posting pictures on this forum is not intuitive. Maybe it gets easier with repetition.

Thanks Jaysen for the tutorial.

At any rate, I'm ready to start puttying the bow. My question is should I also putty the eighth inch gaps all around the chine, keel and transom or should I "spot weld" them with putty and come back with tape and epoxy after I'm happy with the sanded and resanded shape? How "structural" is the putty vs straight epoxy and fiberglass cloth?

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Great job on the stitching!!! The hull came together nicely.

For my FS18 (round chine), I spot welded the keel and chine first. I then got the round chine section completely filleted, sanded, and ready to glass. I then cut my zip ties, ran the rest of my fillets on the keel, chine, transom, etc.. and while the fillet was still wet I fiberglass taped. This saves time in sanding. If you fillet the whole seam, allow to dry, and come back the next day and fiberglass tape the seams, you will probably have to do some radius sanding before you apply the tape. Either way will produce a good result, option 1 just saves some time.

Hope this helps.
-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

JeremyCreek
New Poster
New Poster

Post by JeremyCreek »

So I’m heavy into shaping the bow. Spot welded with EZ-fillet, removed zip ties, another application of EZ-fillet and coarse sanding with 40 grit. That epoxy/wood powder mix is tough! I want to go back and apply a product to level low areas in the evolving bow and wonder if I need to continue with the tough EZ-fillet or can I switch to quik fair which should shape more easily. Can I switch before taping?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

no quickfair. The hard stuff is hard to be structural. The soft stuff is ... soft. Sorry.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.