Fs14ls scaling question

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Stigsdad
New Poster
New Poster

Fs14ls scaling question

Post by Stigsdad »

I finally decided on building the fs14 ls scaled up. First question is: on the bottom and side panels, do I also scale the dimension from the baseline to the bottom of the panels curve? For example, the tip of the bottom panel shows 3 1/4 inches from the baseline. Do I scale that up? More questions to come, I’m sure.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Fs14ls scaling question

Post by VT_Jeff »

Good question and yes. If you measure that on your plans, then blow up your plans by 10% and re measure, that distance will grow. Your stations also grow, from 12 to 13 3/16.

3 9/16 is what I show for 10% scaling for that particular value.

Cameron/bamaguy can confirm, he scaled 5%.

Check with trent/mojosmantra on measuring the outside distance, I got confused if that was from the baseline or the inside measurement, gave him bad info, and now can never keep it straight.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Forget the baseline for now. Just go through and increase every line on the plans by 10%. The new baseline will be at the same place as the old one, at the bottom or the top of the deck/sole, wherever it was before you scaled.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Stigsdad
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Stigsdad »

Thanks, that’s originally what I thought but I kept thinking about it and confused myself. I’ll probably scale up 5% and add an inch or so to the sheer

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Stigsdad wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:05 pm Thanks, that’s originally what I thought but I kept thinking about it and confused myself. I’ll probably scale up 5% and add an inch or so to the sheer
Adding an inch to the sheer sounds like an interesting challenge. The amount of extra on the panels at any given point will vary depending on the angle of the side at that point, which makes me wonder if it would be simpler to leave a good margin of extra and then trim it flat once assembled. If you just add an inch all the way around the sheer, you will not end up with a flat sheer and you won't get a true inch of extra sheer. Have you already figured this out?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Idea on raising the sheer:

Your frames will all be exactly an inch taller. Leave 2 inches extra all the way around your side panel sheer, dry fit the panel to the jig and use the frames to mark the sheer point at each frame, remove the panel, then batten those points and you have your new sheerline.

There may be other, better ways, but I THINK this would work ok.........

Edit: I'm now doubting that battening would work, it's not a flat surface.......you may need to use a laser or similar method to draw that new sheerline.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

If you want to raise the shear that means raising each frame, the transom by an inch. Then cutting your side panels an inch higher.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Stigsdad
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Stigsdad »

I figured i could add an inch to the sheer and then an inch to the frames and transom. Cutting off the the transom height at 20” max. Seems like it should work.

Stigsdad
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Stigsdad »

Thanks again guys. Reading through vt. Jeff’s build thread inspired me to start this build. I tend to work slowly and think (maybe overthink) through each step. I don’t expect a fast build but I should enjoy it

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

No do not cut down the outside of the transom down, but instead cut down the area of where the motor goes down to 20" or what the plans show for the motor.

Tom