Where to sleep on the GV17?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Where to sleep on the GV17?

Post by rick berrey »

You are looking at 22 sheets of ply for the CV17 , 20 for the GV17 , but add a cabin and you will be at 22 if you use ply . If I were you I would look at the Harbor Master 19 , just another 5 sheets of ply + added epoxy , it is designed for your 9.9 hp , it is better suited for your intended use , and a big jump in comfort zone .

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I agree with CR you can do one but keep it minimal and make as light in weight as possible. That means under 75lbs+/- if possible. a good place for a treated canvas produdt ;ike Sumbrella for one or oothers.

Good luck, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Klumpie wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:17 am Thanks everyone for your comments, there very helpful!
With all your suggestions, I'll go back to my drawing table and play with some ideas, one of them is:

I also have the C17 plans; what about copying that nice cabin on the GV17?
Fitted with a small side console or would that become to heavy upfront? Maybe with a canvas closure like the Nina to save weight?

I'm just curious about structure, safety and weights, if a cabin would make the design boxier, well...for me that's a plus! That's why I chose the GV17 to build and not the C17.
I understand they're two different boats, but the GV17 has an enormous load capacity.

I bought two small Yamaha 3 gallons full tanks, I'm gonna put them one each side, under bunks aft.

I'm no fishing or sports guy, so I'm not taking a lot of gear, just a cooler and bbq.
I only sleep in marina.

Again, thanks for your help, much appreciated!
Gladly, at this stage, there is enough time to think things over, so the outcome will become better.

Klumpie
Keep in mind the dangers of using portable tanks in enclosed spaces. The space needs to be vented iirc.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

fallguy is correct those cannot be enclosed they must be exposed to open air, not just vented.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Klumpie
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Klumpie »

TomW1 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:09 pm fallguy is correct those cannot be enclosed they must be exposed to open air, not just vented.

Tom
I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

Klumpie
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Klumpie »

Finally made a decision what boat to build.
Been around here for four years and read almost everything on this forum.

Just choosing a plan wasn't easy for me, I spend a couple hundred dollars on plans and when I decided to build one, after some time there was always doubt about different things.

And now ladies and gentlemen,
first I like to thank everyone on this forum who has helped me out the past years to answer my (sometimes strange, I know) questions.

And the people from BBC..... they are real nice and honest person's, always correct, quick respond, thanks!

I really like the GV17, but I understand a cabin with sitting headroom would look out of proportion. A cabin is what I want, because I want to have the option for a dry and comfortable sleep.
The GV17 could have a canvas enclosure, but that isn't cheap to make and would probably look out of proportion too.

I absolutely don't have the room and money to build any larger then 17 ft.

So I decided to build the C17, bought the plans last year.
Have to buy a couple of sheets extra because I already bought all the plywood for the GV17.

Next week I start with a model, I'll make a topic on that.

Thanks
Klumpie

Rmarsh
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rmarsh »

Klumpie: I think you will be very happy with your decision....and you can build it as designed..... I eliminated the cuddy cabin and built my C17 as a center console. I have thought about making a canvas shelter that I could erect if I wanted to stay on the boat overnight. Good luck with your build...Ill be interested and following along.
PS. I dont think the 9.9 will be sufficient power.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Klumpie a wise choice you will definitely enjoy the C17. Many have been built. As Rmarsh points out you will need a larger motor on it than a 9.9 HP unless you are limited to displacement speeds in the canals. If you are going to cruise the lakes or occasionally go out to sea you will want a 40-60HP motor. Even cruising the canals, I would suggest a 15HP motor for less wear and tear on it than a 9.9.

Well please enjoy your build and do not be afraid to ask questions. This is a friendly bunch of guys and a lot of experrience among them.

Regards, Tom

Klumpie
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Klumpie »

TomW1 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:36 pm Klumpie a wise choice you will definitely enjoy the C17. Many have been built. As Rmarsh points out you will need a larger motor on it than a 9.9 HP unless you are limited to displacement speeds in the canals. If you are going to cruise the lakes or occasionally go out to sea you will want a 40-60HP motor. Even cruising the canals, I would suggest a 15HP motor for less wear and tear on it than a 9.9.

Well please enjoy your build and do not be afraid to ask questions. This is a friendly bunch of guys and a lot of experrience among them.

Regards, Tom

Thanks Tom and Rmarsh for responding and tips about the HP.

For now I stay with the 9.9 HP because I don't have the funds for a larger one, also gasoline prices are getting skyhigh and this one is cheap in fuel.

I'm a nice weather guy and not aiming for speed, I've had 19 ft vessels with 9.9 HP before and it's manageable if you behave like a good and responsible captain and are happy with displacement speeds only.

No sea going.

The 9.9 HP I have is a high trust, so enough power to move around and respond safely on calm days.

Thanks
Klumpie