Help using Coosa board

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
navidave95
New Poster
New Poster

Help using Coosa board

Post by navidave95 »

I’ve recently purchased an 86 Bayliner Capri 13’6”. I had to totally gut it and removed a fair amount of delaminating fiberglass and rotten stringer’s. I’m getting ready to replace the rotten transom with coosa but confused about the polyester epoxy and the process of using it.
Can I get any help here?

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Help using Coosa board

Post by fallguy1000 »

Well, the boat was built with polyester, and can be repaired with polyester or epoxy.

Polyester's bond strength is 20-25% of epoxy. And so epoxy affords amateurs room for error.

All adhesives have rules to follow for best performance.

The main rule I'd say is mechanical key is required for all adhesives. This is where the substrate or base surface is not ultra smooth. In epoxy work, the epoxy has a window of time that allows a chemical bond. 24-72 hours...

Epoxy must be thickened for bonding to other stuff. You would not generally glue coosa in place with raw epoxy. You would thicken it to a peanut buttery consistency or a bit thinner with cabosil.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Re: Help using Coosa board

Post by fallguy1000 »

You will have more questions. Feel free to ask, but be specific with questions and pictures help.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495