Which clamps to buy?

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
CHOC
New Poster
New Poster

Which clamps to buy?

Post by CHOC »

Sorry if this has been asked 1000 times. I tried the search function but there were tons of results when I searched and none of them addressed my question.

I was wondering what is the best clamp to buy for building skiffs 15' and smaller.

Thanks in advance.

-Crazyhorse

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Which clamps to buy?

Post by Dougster »

The best answer is more. Really I think quality is less important that quantity, so cheap is ok. You most often do not need or want a lot of clamping force, so those one handed ones are good (I don't like the spring clamps, even though they can be used with one hand). I kind of bought them as I needed them and also hopped on deals when I saw them. You need some that can be screwed down tightly and it's nice to have one or two pipe clamps or something with a two or three foot span. Vague answer I know but we probably all have our own preferences so I'd say just get a few and start.

Doug

CHOC
New Poster
New Poster

Post by CHOC »

I just bought 26 spring clamps of various sizes.

CHOC
New Poster
New Poster

Post by CHOC »

Dougster wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:53 am The best answer is more. Really I think quality is less important that quantity, so cheap is ok. You most often do not need or want a lot of clamping force, so those one handed ones are good (I don't like the spring clamps, even though they can be used with one hand). I kind of bought them as I needed them and also hopped on deals when I saw them. You need some that can be screwed down tightly and it's nice to have one or two pipe clamps or something with a two or three foot span. Vague answer I know but we probably all have our own preferences so I'd say just get a few and start.

Doug
I also already have some that open up to 10+ inches. I like the just get em and go approach. Thanks!

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

You can make some cheap pvc clamps by hotgluing pvc to a board and ripping a kerf in a length of it and then cutting them off in one inch pieces.

Screws also work as temporary clamps.

I like to have about 4-6 squeeze clamps and about 6-10 c clamps.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

Buy every one in the store, when they restock, buy all of those. C-clamps, sliding bar clamps, spreader clamps, quick clamps, anything clamp related. About the only clamp you may never use is a 90 deg corner clamp. Very few 90's in a boat. I could be wrong so grab 2 of those.

I've seen clamps made out of PVC pipe. PVC is not as easy to cut lengthwise as you would think. It needs to be solid PVC, not cellular.

I have 30 or 40 clamps and ran out at times on my 17ft kayak. 2 inch to 4 inch opening are the majority. A few 6 inch clamps and 1 10 inch clamp.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

Spring clamps are nice for some stuff, but sometime you want just enough pressure to hold something and to keep your thickened epoxy from squeezing out, and spring clamps aren’t good for that. so make sure you have a mix. I would hit up the cheap places, harbor frieght, ocean city joblots, etc. Also, if you get epoxy over all your cheap clamps, you won’t be as annoyed.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Stay away from the cheap plastic handle clamps at Harbor Freight with orange triggers. Trust me... :cry:

But agree with the other sentiments expressed here. Buy lots of clamps!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

cape man wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:14 pm Stay away from the cheap plastic handle clamps at Harbor Freight with orange triggers. Trust me... :cry:

But agree with the other sentiments expressed here. Buy lots of clamps!
I agree those are trash, but the ones with the wooden screw handles are alright

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I love small c-clamp get a bunch of 3" and they will do every thing you will ever need a clamp to do, If you watch you can buy bags of 10 for $12. I have about 40 of them laying around the shop. For doing the transom clamps on the outside and screws on the inside work well if you need to glue two pieces together. I also have my wood working clamps, thought I did not use them much.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978