Stoner skiff

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Reklus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Stoner skiff

Post by Reklus »

Wow... been a while ... so, i very recently came tointo an interesting conversation ... apparently a distant cousin of mine built a boat using bateua plans about 10 years ago. .. the family member ive been communicating with says it is 16 ft and looks like a stoner skiff.ive yet to be able to go see it...any idea to what plans were used maybe dory? At any rate the boat was apparently finished minus power and steering. Sitting on. A brand new trailer sittting under a tarp in a building ... any thoughts/ concerns ... etc? Seriously considering picking it up if that ends up possible.... just trying to figure everything out at the moment...

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Stoner skiff

Post by fallguy1000 »

Just hope it got paint or it may be all sun damaged. A little is easy to fix, if the laminates peel away; then it'd be a job to fix, but still maybe worth it.

Give us a pic.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Matthew Anderson
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Matthew Anderson »

A D15? Mine ended up 15' 8" but I can't imagine one being anything other than tiller steer.
FA276C3B-79A7-4B99-9E59-3F694E305301.jpeg
Jacques and myself with the boat at the second annual plywood boat festival in Port Aransas.

Reklus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Reklus »

Nah... has. A console and they said it was like 7'... im almost certain it is most likely the od16... if the weathers not crap ... it is about 30-45 min from my house... as for sun damage it has been inside a building... covered. On a trailer that was only once to move it there ... never even been in water...

Once i get to see it ... take pictures and have a look and talk about it i guess ill have. Abetter idea .. from my understanding theyre happy to sell it... just not sure what to even begin to offer lol

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Brand new trailer and unfinished OD16....a bit depends on how unfinished, but seats in ... 3-4 grand

hull needs work, 2 grand

Old trailer, hull done, no power 2-2500

Old trailer, hull incomplete 1500

Ballparks..

If it is all new and jist needs fitout; maybe even 5k. But I'd offer 3500 and see if they are put off. Unfinished boats are not worth the same boat finished less costs of the engine. Just harnesses and hydro steer cost like 2--3 grand.

That boat all fine and dandy is maybe worth 11? Commissioned for 20? (Custom made for you)

A new Yammie 70 is like 7 grand here, so 3500 is a real decent offer.

You can start off by asking what the boat would be worth done.

My 2 cents.

cape man

Post by cape man »

It also depends a lot on how motivated they are to sell it. If it has just been sitting for 10 years, it obviously is not very valuable to anyone involved. A boat that needs to be finished is still not a boat. But the new trailer is probably worth more today than when he bought it.

I bought a completed hull and all the stuff to finish (ply, glass, epoxy) an LM18 from a builder here for $500. He just needed to get rid of it as he was moving, and wanted someone to hopefully finish it. I would start the conversation with how much were they thinking?

Stoner makes quite few different shapes. Might be a Garvey...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Reklus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Reklus »

I think ill go check it out this weekend and get some photos.... i have a whole 50 evinrude controls etc sitting at my house if i dont take the boat maybe theyll take the motor hahaha

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Yeah. How much were you thinking or what do you have into it..

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

If it is the OD16 you have a jewel. Your 50 will work well on it. and it has a shallow enough draft to get into the flats down there with its 5" draft at DWL of 1500lbs. keep it lighter and you will get in closer. Now as for cost it is going to come down to what shape the boat is in, is it really an OD pr a GF in which case you need a smaller motor. the GF usually does not have a console. Also since the trailer has sat for ten years you will need to tear the bearings apart get that old hard grease out and replace it with new. As for price without the motor ask what they want to get it out of there then counter and with one you would pay for it. If it has good paint easily accesible control tubes and gas tank I think max would be $3500. Check the tires on the trailer to see if they need replacemeent.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978