V-Berth Repair O’Day 20 (1974)

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Randy Michaelis
New Poster
New Poster

Re: V-Berth Repair O’Day 20 (1974)

Post by Randy Michaelis »

My continued thanks to everyone for their wisdom on my project. A couple of follow up questions for you.
My plan is to cut the plywood at about two inches from the hull. My plan is to start with my new multi-tool and go carefully. I like the recommendation that I use a two by four against the hull to keep a consistent space from the hull. I have also made a cardboard template of the space.
The questions:
1. It sounds like there is some concern about what might be lurking behind the vinyl in the far forward section. Would you recommend that I remove all the vinyl in the berth? Or just focus on on far forward section?
2. When I remove the plywood I will need to stand in the hull. It looks like it is full of a long pieces of styrofoam. I assume I will need to remove this so that I can work in there without a floor. Is that correct?
3. Do I save the styrofoam or should it be replaced? It looks okay but I am aware that it is almost 50 years old. Is there a better product I should use for this?
Sorry for all the questions but I have a few days off and I plan to get started on this phase.
Thanks again.
Randy

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Randy good questions.

!. I would ramove the vinyl to check the quality of the wood underneath it. A heat gun is a good tool that will loosen the glue if you can not just pull it up.

2-3 Check to see if the styrofoam is dry and has no water absord by it. If no water save it in a dry location and put it back. It was used for upright flotation for the boat. If you want to go with a modern product you can pour the two part foam that is available in the store here. Call Joel to get how much you will need.

Wee I hope that helps some. Keep the questions coming, that is what the Forum is for.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Randy Michaelis
New Poster
New Poster

Greetings panel of advisors.
I removed the plywood v-berth and took out the pieces of Styrofoam. I left a two inch piece of plywood on the perimeter.
I am confident in the plywood I left. Seems pretty weak to me.
What if I removed the remaining plywood and built braces that would support the berth from underneath? I have attached a photo of a pic I found online. What do you think?
Again, I am very appreciative of your wisdom as I proceed with this project.
Oh yes, one more question. What are cylindrical objects on the hull?
Randy
Attachments
21B3CDCA-E045-492C-BB2E-790712A9AEC2.jpeg
2B1A09C3-4ECD-4EDD-A2B7-ADC9BD5C755C.jpeg
93B0B861-B96A-4930-BDEA-9BD30B006616.jpeg
92D4B381-44FD-4BBA-8E3C-31A7A5C0A0B8.jpeg
D2831596-0563-4EFF-9193-EE653EE1000B.jpeg
FF9C0A90-06B6-4A6B-A441-A0D4B8F395C5.jpeg

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

If you are sure the lip you left is solid it would make a good support for the new plywood. That is a pretty big area so I like the idea of the supports in the second picture. I have a hard time believing that foam will do anything for you so if it were me I would get rid of it. About the only thing I can think of those pieces of round glass might do is stiffen the hull in that area.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Those are stiffeners for the hull; perhaps for trailering?

The picture you found has one issue. Those spans look a bit much unless you plan 3/4" ply and 1/2" ply will sag some on the edges unless bonded with glass tapes.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

You said, I am confident in the plywood and said it seems pretty weak, so hard to know what you mean. The main reason to keep is easy to add back new and easier to remove now if u want.

Decision time on it..

Randy Michaelis
New Poster
New Poster

Let me try that again. I am not confident in the remaining plywood. Seems pretty weak.
Thanks
Randy

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Randy Michaelis wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:17 pm Let me try that again. I am not confident in the remaining plywood. Seems pretty weak.
Thanks
Randy
That being said I would break out the multi tool and then the grinder and get rid of that mess. You can always hot glue some cleats to the hull for supporting the new plywood till you glass it in.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

What Fuzz said.

It is also wise to plan any storage under or pour foam for safety. Any boat destined for the ocean needs to consider flotation.

Using an angle finder can help you get cleats ripped off the saw to fit the deck better as well.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I would break out the multi tool and then the grinder and get rid of that mess.
Yes, finish the removal of all the weak stuff first. Can wonder about supporting what is going back in after you finish the removal.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne