V-Berth Repair O’Day 20 (1974)

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: V-Berth Repair O’Day 20 (1974)

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:37 am
Randy Michaelis wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:17 pm Let me try that again. I am not confident in the remaining plywood. Seems pretty weak.
Thanks
Randy
That being said I would break out the multi tool and then the grinder and get rid of that mess. You can always hot glue some cleats to the hull for supporting the new plywood till you glass it in.
Make the replacement pieces first. Then cut it out. It is much easier to ensure fit with that 2” shelf to help you out.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: V-Berth Repair O’Day 20 (1974)

Post by VT_Jeff »

My approach:

I would leave what's left, use it as cleats for the new panels, add the new panels and glass them in from above. I' d make a rough template from cardboard and use a deck of cards taped along the edges of the template to get the shape about exactly right. I'd add a stiffener under the new panel athwartships but wouldn't bother tabbing frames into the hull. It made it this long without them. Not sure if you can get a full width piece into the berth so there may be an installation puzzle, solvable.

I suspect the only thing under the vinyl is exposed, rough glass. I'd rip it out and replace it with the same thing, sans mold.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie