Fs14 steering recommendation

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
wdr99
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Fs14 steering recommendation

Post by wdr99 »

Hey all,

I’m building an FS14 with remote steering and I was wondering if any of you had a recommendation for a simple, small steering system. I built an 18 foot boat a couple years ago and went a little fancier with my Seastar steering than I needed to.

So, any recommendations would be great!

Bill

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Fs14 steering recommendation

Post by VT_Jeff »

I looked at stick steering but in the end, the options were few and they were as much or almost as much as the seastar cable helm I ended up with, from jamestown. Were I to do it again, I may look harder at a small hydro system to get rid of the massive cable. The small seastar kit is around a grand on amazon but there are plenty of imports for a lot less.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

My boat is pretty big, and two engines, so hydraulic only option.

Pretty sure I'd only go hydraulic from here on out on any new build.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

cape man

Post by cape man »

Hydraulics on a 14 foot boat is an overkill. Get a no feed back helm and a cable. Less than $200. What are you powering it with?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

cape man wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:13 am Hydraulics on a 14 foot boat is an overkill. Get a no feed back helm and a cable. Less than $200. What are you powering it with?
This is the one I used, $250, may be available cheaper elsewhere:

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/p ... bmEALw_wcB

It is a lot simpler/cheaper than the hydro counter-part but the cable can present some real mounting/routing challenges if it's not a simple side-mount console. And of course mine is not a simple side-mount, which is why I wish I had gone with the hydro, I wrestle with the cable too much.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

wdr99
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wdr99 »

cape man wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:13 am. What are you powering it with?
Just a 20 hp Honda 4 stroke. My needs are super minimal. I have 4.2 NFB in my 18 foot. I thought about the Safe T QC which is the most minimal steering kit I can find, it’s 3 turns end to end, I think, but it lacks NFB. Not sure how much difference that would make with a 20hp.

I also had considered stick steering but I couldn’t really decide where to install it in my boat, but some day I’d really like to try that.

Thanks, Bill

cape man

Post by cape man »

Even a 20 hp will give some feed back, and a nfb helm isn't that much more. I really like having my hands totally relaxed on long runs.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

With a 14' nfb kit you will save on cable cost so you might as well go with one. it really does make a difference on a days out on the water.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

wdr99
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wdr99 »

Thanks everybody for the advice. Contrary to most opinions, I ordered the feedback model because I couldn’t find a 3 turn end to end NFB. And since I’m familiar with the NFB, I figured this will be a good opportunity to compare. If I hate it, I can replace it. I have undoubtedly made bigger mistakes!

I’m building the boat inside first, outside second, inside finish third, not quite the preferred method, but it’s progressing very quickly and I’m ready to flip it upside down now. I’m very pleased with the quality of the plans, and how easily the boat has gone together. The light core is really great. My last boat has a 1 inch thick bottom. Plus, this is the first time I’ve worked with BS1088 which is a whole different experience than the marine fir ply wood I’m used to.

Thanks everybody,
Bill

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

I have the Teleflex Safe T Q whatever full feedback steering on my skiff with a 25HP Suzuki. I did have to set the trim tab but once I did, all is well. It is not a hands off, stay where you put it system. One finger's pressure is needed to keep it straight. I would rather know it is in trim than have it putting pressure on the motor and boat all the time. Before I set the trim tab on the motor, the turning pressure was pretty significant. If I let go of the wheel, it would take less than a second to go hard over.

It's been on the boat for 10 years and I haven't had the urge to change it.