Fillets vs. Cleats

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Fillets vs. Cleats

Post by Dan_Smullen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:36 pm
OrangeQuest wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:10 pm ...how to figure the math on transom height.

If I were BBC-master for a day, I'd do this: The plans would indicate that transoms should not be final-cut until the intended motor has been correctly measured, since it's pretty clear that a 20" motor is not 20" universally. Also, if possible, kits would not be cut until the buyer provides an accurate and correct transom measurement. This will avoid the need for people to build-up transoms, add extenders, or just live with a motor teetering on the top of the transom.
Great point! At the beginning of my build I had no inclination whatsoever about advantages/disadvantages of short shaft or long, and this became predetermined by the first cut. Some built in flexibility would be good for all builders.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

All motors have a built in adjustiibility allowing you to lower it at least 2" up to 4" depending on the manufacturer. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

jonnymac wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:00 pm what i thought was interesting about the report is you can actually test to see if the surface is correcy roughed up or has some other issue. water drop on the surface should be flat, not beaded up. I’m going to do some water tests once I get back to boat building after the holidays.
Just make sure that the surface is dry before gluing eh? :D I used that trick to check after flame treating UHMW polyethylene. Supposed to be impossible to bond, but my UHMW rubrails will rock the boat on its cradle if you yank on them.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

VT_Jeff wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:55 pm

Seems like my antique evinrude 35 was setup to kick up but my modern honda 20 hp is not, at least that I can determine through the manual etc. I would think kickup would be the best reaction to a submerged log.
One advantage of the manual tilt models I'm familiar with is you can always unlock the tilt.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:32 am
VT_Jeff wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:55 pm

Seems like my antique evinrude 35 was setup to kick up but my modern honda 20 hp is not, at least that I can determine through the manual etc. I would think kickup would be the best reaction to a submerged log.
One advantage of the manual tilt models I'm familiar with is you can always unlock the tilt.
Thanks OneWay, I was overlooking that completely. :doh:
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Can make reverse interesting!!!!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

cape man wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:11 am
Can make reverse interesting!!!!
Our little 5HP has a system that only locks it in reverse gear but turns of more than 90 degs while in reverse unlocks anti-tilt. Forward or neutral, there is no locking tilt.

Some outboards have a system of sorts, that when the motor kicks up quickly while in forward gear, the motor is not allowed to slam back down very fast.

But, again, we are off subject!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Very much off subject. Unless somebody wants to fillet and cleat their outboard. That will protect it from navigational mistakes. :D