Ice Boat planning.....

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Ice Boat planning.....

Post by VT_Jeff »

cape man wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:22 pm Go big!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzf-jeKhk4Q
Wow! That's not too far from me, I may need to go check those guys out this winter, looks incredible!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

wpstarling
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wpstarling »

Being from Florida I had no idea what an 'ice boat' was. Just Googled it and wow that looks cool. Good luck!
Boats restored: 1973 Glastron CV16, 1990 Proline 17 CC, 1993 Bass Boat
Boats built: custom 15ft flat bottom skiff, Soon-to-be-built TX18 (originally dborecky's build)

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Have friends visiting for 10 days so not doing much on projects then it turned cold again... Too cold to do much in the tent at -20f

I did get the two hull sides layer out to look at the shape I think I'm happy with, 2x 2x6s 16ft long. Probably need a spacer and some relief at the front, was using an unblocked c-clamp and it tried to splinter and punch through. Still thinking about it.

Laminated up the rear runner beam, 2x 1x6s 12ft long and a 2x6 8ft long. Might be stiffer than needed but will secure the shrouds at the outboard ends of the 2x6.

Still need to laminate the front runner spring board, I have 3x 1x6s 8ft long, will decide if going with 2 or 3 based on how the ends of the main beam feel. I'm guessing just the 2 though.
20211213_063011.jpg
20211212_144624.jpg

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

When building something like this, do you build it to float if it falls through the ice? Do you wear PFDs along with the crash helmet? Is there any governing bodies that require how the ice boat is built? Can you and are you covered by any kind of liability insurance if you hit someone or something?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

The answer to all of that is no. Which is both a good and a bad thing :)

I am extremely conservative when it comes to the ice here, I never go out until it has frozen very thick and has been explored by younger or stupider people.

Some plans call for putting foam in the hull and under the seat, but most are open frames with no flotation beyond the lumber it's made of.
I feel that a good helmet and making sure there are people around is much more important than flotation for where we are.
(of course I could be wrong, but that's the assessment I have made)

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

This will be a very interesting build!!! I have no experience with Ice Boats!!! Nice NARFI!!!! Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I feel that a good helmet and making sure there are people around is much more important than flotation for where we are.
May want to consider a good PFD. I ref a game called kayak polo. It is like rugby on the water. So they are also helpful as body armor.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Here are a few different classes of iceboats, more modern with carbon fiber though some are composite with some wood. Narfi there is one set of antique runners on there you might be interested in. https://www.iceboatracing.com/used-iceboats/ Though you might prefer a modern set of SS runners.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

OrangeQuest wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:35 pm
May want to consider a good PFD. I ref a game called kayak polo. It is like rugby on the water. So they are also helpful as body armor.
To be honest, if you fall through the ice out where Narfi lives, all that a PFD is going to accomplish is making body recovery possible. As for armor, keep in mind he is going to have many layers of winter gear on, out on the ice in the wind. Doesn't really sound like my idea of a good time although I hope he gets some video.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Doesn't really sound like my idea of a good time although I hope he gets some video.
I would go for it in a heart beat! The videos I have seen make it look just plain awesome! Like normal boating, you don't have to break a speed record to have a lot of fun. The whole concept is a testament to human ingenuity.

Found this on Wikipedia searching the history of ice boats. 17th century Netherlands...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceboat#/ ... katers.jpg

I'm enjoying the build. The "frame" looks solid from here.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman