Acorn to Arabella - migrating expanding foam?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
APLJaK
Active Poster
Active Poster

Acorn to Arabella - migrating expanding foam?

Post by APLJaK »

Anyone watching this great build? Building a wooden 38' wooden double ender designed by Akins. Great videos from a couple young guys building this thing from scratch. And I mean from scratch, including felling the timber and milling the lumber!

Acorn to Arabella

My main reason for bringing it up however is the weirdness that happened this week as they built a fiberglass box for the fridge. After completing the fiberglass liner, they filled the exterior of the box with marine expanding foam. After is cured, they removed the bracing and it appeared as though the expanding foam migrated through the fiberglass (multiple layers of glass and epoxy) in places. My experience/intuition says 'no way'.... but what actually happened here?

fridge box

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Acorn to Arabella - migrating expanding foam?

Post by piperdown »

I've watched since the beginning.

As Steve mentioned, and why he reinforced the box, it's exerting 5psi. I'm guessing there was a few pinholes that happened during the laminating process allowing the foam to push through.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

APLJaK wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:38 pm Anyone watching this great build? Building a wooden 38' wooden double ender designed by Akins. Great videos from a couple young guys building this thing from scratch. And I mean from scratch, including felling the timber and milling the lumber!

They still working on that thing? :doh: :lol: :lol: They are certainly remaining pure to the craft.

I haven't watched in a while, but what a determined group of young guys. I should catch myself up.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah they are still going although it looks like Alix has mostly stepped away from the project at this point. I saw the thing with the foam penetrating through the glass panels too, was a bit of a surprise. As Piper said, the only explanation that really makes any sense there is pinholes.