Closed Cell Buoyancy Foam Test

Post any and all methods for doing things here, if you think you have a good method, that you don't see most builders using
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Closed Cell Buoyancy Foam Test

Post by cape man »

Yeah...you won't be able to publish in the Journal of Naval Architecture without that data and at least 3 replicates of the trial. :lol:

But this down and dirty test should at least solve some of the arm chair pontificating on the subject. 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

But this down and dirty test should at least solve some of the arm chair pontificating on the subject. 8)
Never will happen, never ever!

The floatation foam used has already been tested and passed the USCG standards for floatation by marine underwriter laboratory tests.

This test would need to go on forever to prove its ability to displace water for whatever the make-believe standard would be.
This foam has been tested in accordance with U.S. Coast Guard Regulation # 33 CFR 183.114 . This foam is approximately 95-98% closed cell which resists absorbing water, however continuous water submersion can eventually lead to loss of buoyancy over a period of years.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

OrangeQuest wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:26 pm Shouldn't we get a proper scientific update with a whole weather forecast of the bucket? Like Temp, barometric pressure, and humidity? :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lol. I would but my barometer just broke last week. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

The thing with Foam tests is that you can’t emulate the motion of the boat or the effect of freeze thaw cycles. I’ve got Foam on my boat but it all cases it is installed where water can drain and air can get into ventilate. When foam does absorb water it is generally over a very long period of time so in my case I am assuming that I will be able to keep ahead of it and provide ventilation and inspect all compartments.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:01 pm freeze thaw cycles
say whaaaaat?

We don’t do that in these parts!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

who knows what the UL test actually consists of, they could generate a foam test sample that is something we could never recreate in our home garage.

and that isn’t the question here, the question here is does cut foam behave the same as uncut foam.
OrangeQuest wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:56 am
The floatation foam used has already been tested and passed the USCG standards for floatation by marine underwriter laboratory tests.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

jonnymac wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:50 pm and that isn’t the question here, the question here is does cut foam behave the same as uncut foam.
This! ^
Hank

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

who knows what the UL test actually consists of, they could generate a foam test sample that is something we could never recreate in our home garage.

and that isn’t the question here, the question here is does cut foam behave the same as uncut foam.

https://www.document-center.com/standar ... ASTM-D2842

I believe you can see where it goes over damaged cells as well. For the complete standard of tests, you can spend $54.00 and let the rest of us know.

Then you would apply these standards to test per the Fed gov regulations on floatation use in boats. And different types of foam can be used in different areas of the boat.
Like I stated, the floatation foams we buy and sold as floatation foam have passed testing.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

cape man

Post by cape man »

I'll wait for Reid's results before responding... 8) :lol:
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

thanks for posting that. the scope of the test. shows that this test covers how well does the foam maintain buoyancy in a short term single event situation. which is important, but It seems to me that the question most builders have. Is the cut cells going to increase water absorption overtime.
This test method covers the determination of the water absorption of rigid cellular plastics by measuring the change in buoyant force resulting from immersion under a 5.1-cm (2-in.) head of water for the specified immersion period of 96 h.
OrangeQuest wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:09 am

https://www.document-center.com/standar ... ASTM-D2842

I believe you can see where it goes over damaged cells as well. For the complete standard of tests, you can spend $54.00 and let the rest of us know.

Then you would apply these standards to test per the Fed gov regulations on floatation use in boats. And different types of foam can be used in different areas of the boat.
Like I stated, the floatation foams we buy and sold as floatation foam have passed testing.