LM18 New Build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Ryan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

LM18 New Build

Post by Ryan »

Hey everyone,

I’ve been lurking for a while and decided to take the plunge and build small skiff. I opted out of the CNC kit and decided to buy my wood locally, I see now it’s going to take me an extremely long time! I see what a great community this is (this will be my first boat build) not new to working on boats or electronics, I’m an aircraft mechanic by trade so hopefully I can help out too… Look forward to talking with y’all! Here’s some progress pics…

~Ryan
Attachments
2C21CC35-5C08-46D1-ABE9-B00BDE9442E1.jpeg
9351AFB8-40F3-4FA5-BB7D-F8CFAB4985DF.jpeg
7B9F16DC-1310-4E6D-853F-56E3CCBA6110.jpeg
AF8679E2-2821-4C91-9722-DC8349AE912B.jpeg

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: LM18 New Build

Post by VT_Jeff »

Welcome and congrats Ryan! The LM18 is a sweet design for sure. Enjoy, best of luck and keep us "posted" on progress. Where located, and what are your plans for the boat?

Jeff
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Ryan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ryan »

I’m in the Swansboro NC area. I think I’d like to keep the boat pretty simple, tiller engine, poling platform, and a trolling motor. I have a big heavy bay boat now and would like a smaller poling skiff to redfish out of … I’m looking forward to it!!

~Ryan

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I love that first part of the build; the laying out of the lines and cutting them. Once a guy was being a bit a blow hard about a dingy he had restored and when learning my boat was being home built asked if it was a kit. Saying no was nice. We love the progress posts and the pics so glad to see this build started.

Dougster

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Welcome from another NC member. Lots of LM18 builders have finished there boats so you will get lots of help when you need it. This is a great and friendly place to be and don't be afraid to ask a question no matter how silly you think it may be.

Again welcome, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dougster wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:35 am I love that first part of the build; the laying out of the lines and cutting them. Once a guy was being a bit a blow hard about a dingy he had restored and when learning my boat was being home built asked if it was a kit. Saying no was nice. We love the progress posts and the pics so glad to see this build started.

Dougster
I agree that the measuring/marking and cutting the panels is some of the most fun work of the build. Upside of a kit is it allows you to spend more time on other aspects, so I could easily argue both sides. Glad I built my first from scratch, if I do another, it will probably be from a kit.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Cbuf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Cbuf »

I had a lots of fun building my LM18, feel free to reach out with any questions. I want to build another boat, but the wife says I have to many. The LM18 is a great boat, nice an dry. There are things I definitely would change on mine and other things that worked out unbelievably.
See my LM 18 build here.
viewtopic.php?t=64254
See my LM 18 Questions here.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64299&hilit=lm18\
Finished Boat Here
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=65173

Ryan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ryan »

Cbuf your boat turned out sweet man! I’ll definitely be picking your brain!
- I wanted to ask you guys about the splice, I swear I’ve read so many conflicting opinions on this…
For this boat do you recommend a butt splice, or scarf? Not trying to open a can of worms on here.

~Ryan

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Ryan the nice thing about building one of these boats is that no scarfing is needed. In most cases a 6" fiberglass tape peice is used on the inside and outside to attach the two pieces together. Check your building plans and instructions on how the desigher wants you to do them. Look forward to watching your build.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman »

Nice start. I'm over on Harkers Island.