P21 Hull modifications.

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
fastlane
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

P21 Hull modifications.

Post by fastlane »

Hello Boat builders. It’s been a while since my last post. I feel Honored to see my boat as the boat plans picture for the P21!.
The old P21 has served me very well for the last 10 years fishing the Atlantic ocean out of the Manasquan Inlet.
The boat is hanging in there great despite being in a slip 8 months of the year.! My situation now is that I moved to Florida on the Gulf and this boat is not really
Going to work well Here. I’ll be fishing out of the crystal river now so the cabin is now an oven and no more slips so I have to trailer alone and that’s always been a chore with this boat. I really don’t want to
sell the boat. I have been tossing around the idea of removing the house and cabin and converting it into something like the C21.
Am I crazy? Is the house and cabin a structural component of this hull? Is this possible or am I crazy?
Thanks!

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: P21 Hull modifications.

Post by rick berrey »

I say you should go for it . I don't fish much anymore but when I fished the Gulf there were many times I wished there was a jump cabin on the boat . I would at least rig some canvas if I removed the cabin top .

Ryan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ryan »

Rv AC Unit and a small Honda generator! Problem solved!!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I would say go for it. The hull shape of the P21 and the C21 is not very different as Jacques mentioned when he designed the newer of the two. There are no structural problems as long as you leave the outside frame as wide as frame D & E and the upper deck a good width. I don't know what the back deck widths are but normally 10-12 inches or so. But if you have to just sister some to the frames you have now. It should be a fun project and make your boat more useable out of Crystal River. That is a great area.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

No fun cookin inside there, but fair seas and that boat might make bluewater and a snooze pad. Most of the time transverse bulkheads like the one separating the sleepng area from the cabin are required. So making that boat into a forward open deck would probably require some holy water from the designer. But if you keep the deck; the cabin can likely be modified.

But that boat can be also converted to more open without all that hassle. I'd open the entire back and then make it so the front windows and side windows vent. Call Bomon in Quebec or find a Florida window maker to modify them. Or open the sides and get some vinyl made.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

A bit difficult to put the top back on once it's gone, and you will need the shade down there. I'd look at small steps like increasing ventilation as suggested above first. A fold down hatch windscreen will let a lot of air in. If it doesn't work, you can always up the ante later.

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

OneWay makes some good points . I would modify the cabin windows and add a cowl ventilator , or some kind of fan to circulate air in the cabin . No more cabin makes the over night 1000 islands trip a little less desirable , I would keep my camp cruiser options . We replaced my brothers ports with New Found Metals low end ports , they were a big step above the others we looked at in quality and price .

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

I say go for it! You'll probably use the boat more if it's setup how you like and easier to launch solo. The question about structural is a good one but I highly doubt you can't add a frame or whatever to make it work like a C19 without the doghouse.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I just looked at the study plans fastlane and you will have no problem converting if you want. The gunnels/side decks are already in. So you will just need to remove the cabin. I see nothing in it providing structuraal suppoart. The back bulkhead may be attached to the side, deck and gunnel, but you can cut it off to use as anothe support for the gunnel. If you play it righ you may even have enough cables length to have a center console, looking at where the controls are on the sth study guide picture. This will allow you a T-top.

But please do what you want. It is possible.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

I'm stoked that this boat is still going. Your build thread has been a huge inspiration to my future build.

How about converting to something more like the OP21 by simply removing the top and making a new windshield? That would solve the heat problem (add a bimini top for shade?)

If you wanted to get crazy you could remove the ceiling to the berth area and convert it to an open bow with a pass through windshield. Similar to a grady white freedom 215.

Much less work than converting to a center console.

Phil