Another FS17 Build Thread

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Another FS17 Build Thread

Post by mineratt »

After looking at the plans for the OD15, OB15, FS14, and FS17, I decided on the FS17 and purchased the CNC kit. It arrived just fine and I got started on cutting all the pieces out. This led me to make a few observations that I had not fully considered; it take a bit of space to bot build it and to provide a laydown for all of the pieces, there needs to be a separate place to build the stringers, transom, and assemble the bottom and sides, and you need to keep the cats out of the garage when you are gluing everything together (it helps to both minimize the footprints and keeps the fur out of the glue). I looked at quite a few pictures of the different strong back setups and I now realize that mine may be a little on the high side so I need to put together some work steps to make it easier to access the middle of the hull.

The CNC kit is pretty exact with respect to dimensions and just as it says in the description it goes together pretty easily (but then I am just starting). I did have one small issue and that was the placement of the bow frame (frame A) as it does not ride on top of the 2x6 rails, I had to search for the dimension for its placement at the end of the rails, but in the end not an extreme issue, I just needed to read the plans a little bit closer.

The puzzle joints are easy to put together, I added a strip of cloth on the outside to give them a little more strength when I transferred them from the floor to the frame (I heard that they may come apart, but they are pretty solid) I will sand the tape down or feather it before long, just temporary strength.

As the larger parts all come together I am slowly freeing up space in the garage.
Attachments
Loosely zip tied
Loosely zip tied
Frame A sits too high - must be lowered
Frame A sits too high - must be lowered
From the front
From the front

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Another FS17 Build Thread

Post by narfi »

Nice to see another being built, post lots of pictures, and you will get lots of helpful feedback from the peanut gallery :)

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Like Narfi said it is great to see another build thread. As said post lots of pictures and ask if you have any questions. There are NO dumb questions except the ones not asked. Another benefit of posting pictures is one of the guys might spot a boo-boo and save you a ton of work. :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:00 pm There are NO dumb questions except the ones not asked.
I thought I broke that rule a couple times already…

The CNC kits are the bomb. I used one for Lil Bit (v12). The hard part when working with the kit is remembering that nothing needs to be as exact as those pieces. Gaps are ok. It’s amazing the sins glass, wood flour and fairing compound take care of.

Enjoy the process. We are all here to help (except with sanding … your on your own there).
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Keep building, you are doing well!!!! Jeff

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Can't wait to see some epic photos of that boat in Lake Tahoe!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Love the rod holders on the garage door, btw, genius!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

You're off to a good start! I look at the photos of the hull in your garage, and the stuff around it . . . I hope you plan to protect your fishing gear from all the dust you're about to make!! :lol:
Hank

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

Sweet! Someone else in California!

Welcome and i look forward to following along. What are the plans for the final boat? Center console? Dual console?

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

The whole strongback assembly is built rigid and is on rollers. I plan to slide it out into the driveway for the major sanding, and shaping stages once everything is basically put together. And do the glassing, filling, and cutting inside the garage. This is the central valley and it rarely rains, and rarely freezes. The epoxy does take a little longer to cure in the winter, but not much.

The boat will eventually have a center console, 40hp outboard, and go out of Morro Bay.