Another FS17 Build Thread

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Another FS17 Build Thread

Post by mineratt »

I also took another look at the transom. So far the transom has two layers of 12oz tape on the sides and bottom. Then two layers of 12oz cloth that wrap around the lower 2/3rds of the sides but they do not overlap the bottom. Then one layer of 12oz on the bottom that overlaps 6 to 8 inches onto the transom. I thought that while I had the tape out why not place two stripps of tape on the top portion of the transom; one at the very top, and one right at the level of the outboard cutout that would wrap around onto the sides by a good length. I thought that this might give the top of the transom just a little more strength for a long ride down hwy 99 which is a pot hole filled and gouged highway.
I think that this is a bit overbuilt, but the roads in California are crap and its 2 1/2 hours to the coast.
Attachments
20220301_140224.jpg

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

mineratt wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:06 pm I think that this is a bit overbuilt, but the roads in California are crap and its 2 1/2 hours to the coast.
I hear ya on that. I don't think you'll regret extra glass right there. I can be on the delta in 30 minutes, but the shortest route is one of the worst roads in norcal. I cringe at every pothole.

Fs17 looks great, keep it up.

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

I wanted to add a little abrasion resistance to the bottom of the boat. The width of a roll of glass is almost as wide as the distance between the taped chine. This would provide a little more ruggedness to the bottom for when I run over something. And it would correct a few issues I had i the formal overlay. It would also help to correct the little bit of hook that got built up by the transom tape. I started the final overlay three inches(ish) from the transom and ended it at a point where the keel line starts to slope up. My thought is that it would be easier to fair the small gap at the transom, and pretty easy to fair the curved surface at the bow. The little gap between the chine and the edge of the overlay is longitudinal so any roughness would at least be in the direction of travel, and that area is pretty well confined. Maybe this is overkill and maybe on the next one I will not worry about it, this is after all supposed to be a lightweight skiff. But I am a bit hard on equipment sometimes and I do cruise through areas that are unknown to me often.
Attachments
20220301_185025.jpg
20220301_185031.jpg

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Nice looking glass work :wink:

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

I made some thickened epoxy with silica and spread it along the bottom of the boat to "fill in the weave". i did this within 24 hours of the initial epoxy application of the tape and final overlay. This smooths things out quite a bit. i will sand is all down smooth and then start the fairing process. I am looing at install a a spray/chine rail along the chine. After spending all this time trying to make sure everything is good with all the joints and tapes, and overlays i do not want to start drilling holes along the chine to provide the temporary mount while the epoxy cures, then filling them, so i am looking at wrapping the rail from the outside to hold it in place. It is not going to be an elegant apparatus.

But i think that at this point with respect to the basic hull, all of the glass has been put down, all of the basic epoxy has been applied. On to the next stage - fairing.
Attachments
20220302_203924.jpg
20220302_203920.jpg
20220302_203910.jpg

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Fairing.................the fun part of the build, not :roll:

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

I decided to give it a good first pass sanding before the rub rail, skeg, and spray rail. It was time to give the garage a good cleaning and dusting. It is not faired out, rather it is all smoothed out and feathered.
Attachments
20220312_121959.jpg
20220312_121952.jpg
20220312_121938.jpg
20220312_121929.jpg
20220312_121918.jpg

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I got good news and not so good news.

Good news is your glass work so far looks very good.

Not so good news is nothing makes a boat bigger than fairing it. There will be times you swear it is 40 feet long :help:

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

I know what you mean, I have sanded that thing many times between the glass layers. However, once you start and you jest keep your head down and just sand away it does not take too long. 2 hours and you can do a pass from back to front. Back in the day I use to spend quite a few hours on my back under my fathers boat sanding the bottom and prepping for paint, those boats ranged from 32 to 38 ft, that was a chore.

I had developed a bit of a hook in the hull with the multiple layers of tape around the transom which was one of the reasons why I decided to add the one final layer of glass and end it maybe 3 inches short of the transom to maybe raise everything and fill in the area nice and evenly. I have maybe 1mm of light under the strait edge so with just a little fairing I can work that out.
Attachments
20220313_142538.jpg
20220313_142511.jpg
20220313_142508.jpg

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

I kept tossing around the idea of a spray rail. But I did not want to be drilling the backing or installation holes below the water line, so I mounted it 5 inches above the chine. I did not extend it all the way to the bow, just 12 feet measured from the transom, well into the bow taper. Right now it is glued and screwed in place with tight filets. Once it cures I will sand it out a little, increase the fillets and glass it over. It is small, only a 1 inch quarter round, but then the boat is pretty small as well. When I put the quarter round on the boat I coated the flat edge that sits on the boat with a good solid coat of epoxy and let it sit until it was just a little tacky, then I installed it with the thickened goop and screws.

This hull reminds me of the Dusky 17. I had a 1978 version that had no spray rail and it rode very wet when the wind came up. I think the spray rail may be just the thing to knock the spray down a little so I do not get to inundated.
Attachments
20220313_142449.jpg
20220313_142445.jpg