Another FS17 Build Thread

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Another FS17 Build Thread

Post by Dan_Smullen »

mineratt wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:57 pm Like Mr. Cash said, one piece at a time.
Exactly!

Don’t fret. You’re almost halfway done with the first 1/3 of the project. 😂

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

I had some left over fillet putty so I thought i would start the fairing process with that first instead of going into the quick fair first.
20220423_111323.jpg
So now I need to start thinking about painting the bottom. I read about coating the bottom with epoxy and graphite, system three primer and paint, just primer, and primer and bottom paint. I was thinking about primer on the entire outside with paint, but if I leave the boat in the water for a week I have read that the paint may blister and peel which would not be preferable. I do not need ablative bottom paint as the boat will mostly stay on a trailer, but it will be in the water for up to a week at a time. So what type of paint would be used below the water line?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Several of the top side paints can be used on the bottom for several days. I will let Jeff tell you the best as time varies by brand.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

I spread the first complete layer of fairing across the entire hull. I put it on a little thick as it was the first layer. I had thought that I had smoothed the hull out real good but I was incorrect. I have a linear air sander so it came out pretty well. But sanding it was very slow going. The next layer will go on real thin and I think that will sand out a little faster.
Attachments
20220501_134515.jpg
20220501_134506.jpg

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Looking good. Those straight line air sanders are nice, and make sanding much easier, but they don't create a fair surface as well as a long board (why do they call them torture boards?) will. At the least, use a long batten to identify the high points so you can focus your work where it's needed. Use a coarse grit like 40 or 60 until you get close to where you want to be. And of course, use good dust protection and ventilation- work outside if that's possible. One nice thing about doing the sanding outside is you can hose off the dust, and the wet hull will give you a preview of what a glossy paint surface will look like.
Hank

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

So I have put on three very thin layers of the fillet goo, and now one layer quickfair, I think I will have one more layer of quickfair to go and then the first go at priming the hull. I guess the key to the fairing process is to keep the layers as thin as possible. Also, I completely agree that it is much easier to fair the hull without the rub rail or splash guard. But then with the way I installed the splash guard and rub rail (glassing over both) I would have destroyed the nice faired surface anyway.
20220423_123926.jpg
Just the thickened epoxy surface
20220522_125930.jpg
After multiple layers of the fillet goo providing a nice even surface surface with reasonably smooth transitions between each section of glass
20220522_141110.jpg
After the first thin layer of quickfair

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

So there is a really big difference between the silica thickened epoxy, easy fillet, and quick fair. The thickened epoxy and easy fillet are pretty tough to sand and I used them predominately for the fairing process. But the quick fair, man that stuff is really "quick". I goes on like spreading butter, and it sands really fast. It does make a very fine powdery dust that floats everywhere.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

mineratt wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:28 am So there is a really big difference between the silica thickened epoxy, easy fillet, and quick fair. The thickened epoxy and easy fillet are pretty tough to sand and I used them predominately for the fairing process. But the quick fair, man that stuff is really "quick". I goes on like spreading butter, and it sands really fast. It does make a very fine powdery dust that floats everywhere.
Silica thickened epoxy is not used for most fairing. Just something like squaring off a transom and never final fairing passes. It is too hard, but good to use for fillets; moreso if applying tapes immediately so sanding is avoided
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

Indeed, I used the silica epoxy paste to build up the various transitions, imperfections, tape edges, etc. That was before I opened up the easy fillet past. The easy fillet past is really pretty good and I used that. But then I noticed that the came with the quick fair and so I started to use that and i have to say its like icing a cake. And it sands so much faster. And it applies so much smoother. It is some amazing stuff.

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

My first comment is that airless sprayers suck when putting on the primer. The sprayer worked well for a bit but when the paint level in the bottle got a little low it would spit the paint instead of spraying it. So I used the old airless sprayer and paint roller to put it on a smooth it down. Not the best. But the first two coats are now on and it looks reasonable. I will need to sand it down a bit then re-apply the primer.
Attachments
20220529_144254.jpg
20220529_144247.jpg
20220529_144238.jpg