Another FS17 Build Thread

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Another FS17 Build Thread

Post by Fuzz »

Congratulations on the flip. That is always a big step to have behind you.
All you have left to do is a tiny bit of finish work :lol:

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

Started with the transom. Two layers across the perimeter, single strips across the width of the transom with 12 inch ties onto the sides. I added three feet of chine and keel strips to tie the transom to the bottom a little better. I thought that while everything was all wet it would be good to get the basic tie-ins all set. I can manage about two hours of work in the morning before it gets into the mid 90s. The epoxy sets up real quick so everything has to be done in very small batches. Glassing the interior corners is a lot easier than the outside of the hull.
I wanted to put an initial covering of glass over the inside of the transom even though it should get pretty covered while glassing in the stringers and motor well.
Attachments
20220813_075725.jpg
20220813_075721.jpg
20220813_075707.jpg

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

Finished up the inside of the keel and chines. 2 layers on keel, and 1 on chines.
Attachments
20220814_074312.jpg
20220814_074256.jpg

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I meant to ask yesterday but what is with the bubbles in the third picture? Out gassing or maybe drips from glassing the outside :doh:

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Looks like drips from the outside when it was upside down to me... But I could be wrong.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I think Narfi is right, just dried drips from glassing while the hull was upside down.

The inside taping job looks great!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

When I did the outside, I filled all of the joints with silica thickened epoxy which is white. Some of the batches were a tad thinner than other batches and they did drip, especially around the bow joints and through every tie hole. it sands off pretty easily. For the inside I have been using the ez-fillet which is redish brown. When the two sit next to each other under a layer of tape it does look like an issue, but it is not a bubble. The one area where i did form some bubbles is with a piece I wrapped around the bottom of the clomping board onto the lower transom. I will have to probably grind that out and maybe start over with it, or just carry on and glass it in when i am doing the stringers as it may give a little more support.
Oh, the dripps on the top edge are just from epoxy squeezing out when laminated the rub rails, and then glassed over them, I will be sanding those off directly, everything get caught on them. I could have done it at the time, but I do not like grinding on stuff upside down.

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

I glassed the inside. I could not do it with the long sheets running continuously from the stern to the bow like was done on the bottom and like I have seen everyone else do them. If I start at 5am, I have until 8.30 before it reaches 85 (yesterday it got to 107 later in the day), and even then the garage remains hot from the previous day. I opted to break down the process into smaller individual sections, overlapping both between the sections and across the mid joints. I think that this uses more resin and more glass than the single sheet approach, but it can be more easily broken up and if I have to stop I can have multiple points where I can. In the end I think that it worked out reasonably well, and there were enough overlaps. The bow section got a little off kilter when I was laying it out and I will need to make some additional adjustments when I set in the forward bulkhead, however, I did get the minimum coverage required for the layer of glass.
One thin that i did notice was that there is a difference between the roll of glass that I obtained originally with the kit, and the roll of glass that I purchased from bbc later. Although they both look almost identical, the original glass wetted out much faster and more easily than the second roll of glass. The second roll of glass took more resin and required more massaging to get it fully wetted. In the end, its all in and looks reasonable, far from perfect, but nobody should ever see this.
Attachments
20220821_092313.jpg
20220821_092221.jpg
20220821_092214.jpg

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Joining the pieces is fine with a 6" overlap. The other thing I see is you have not covered the top of transom with fiberglass tape. A couple of layers of 6" biax should be applied there. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978