Another FS17 Build Thread

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Another FS17 Build Thread

Post by VT_Jeff »

Looks fine in the photos. Do you have tape over the wide fabric? Tough to tell in the pics but it appears so.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I see what appear to be a few voids here and there; mainly on the chine I believe.

Any voids below the waterline bigger than a half a dime should be either ground and filled or injected.

Above the WL, use a dime for a reference and any voids that big need same.

If you are not certain if something is a void; try a tap test with a screwdriver. The sound under a light tap is easy to distinguish. Black sharpie all the bad areas; avoid red. Then go back and inject or grind. I have a lot of experience and this is really a two person job.

Dan
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

All joints were taped first, cured, sanded, filled, etc. I used too much epoxy on the taping process. I think I have the process down now for the large pieces using the scrapers/squeegee. Along the chine there are some longer bubbles that will need to be addressed but that will be a small isolated job and much less messy. The larger issues are right at the bow when I got to the bow I cold not get the fabric to mold right and so I has some creases, etc. that rather than mess with when it was a goopy sticky mess I will cut out and address once cured.
The large surfaces, and keel line came out near perfect, it is just a few places on the side of the chine on the first piece that I layed down that had issues. On the first piece I was moving too fast and did not tension/stretch the fabric right with the spreaders. On the second piece it went much smoother.

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

I started sanding it down and opening up the various bubbles/imperfections. Most of the issues are along the upper edge of the chine. The bottom all looks pretty good with one small spot that I cut out. The bubbles along the chine are long and shinny and do not extend into the tape, just the bottom overlay piece. I am thinking about putting a little epoxy with silica in the area and then re-taping the chine with with 6oz biaxial just to reinforce the chine area because of the length of the bubble areas.
Attachments
20220219_101902.jpg
20220219_101844.jpg
20220219_115145.jpg
20220219_115125.jpg
20220219_115121.jpg
20220219_115116.jpg

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

mineratt wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:38 pm I am thinking about putting a little epoxy with silica in the area and then re-taping the chine with with 6oz biaxial just to reinforce the chine area because of the length of the bubble areas.
That should work well, I would want to match the weight of the missing cloth though, isn't it 12oz? Maybe do 6 overlapping tapes of 6oz for a smoother transition?

Just my thoughts though, I'm an amateur and tend to overdo it.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

That problem is often caused by going around too sharp of a corner. If you are going to glass over those spots I would take a little time and round over things a bit more first.

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

I have read that I could just frill in the areas with thickened epoxy and then sand it out. I thought that it might be better to fill the areas, sand it out, then re-cover the entire chine with tape. I thought that using 6 oz tape would be a good compromise in that it would provide additional reinforcement over not just the "re-done" areas but also along the entire length of the chine and it would be thinner than the 12oz. This would place 30 oz of glass over the vast majority of the of the chine and only 18 oz of glass (with thickened epoxy) on those areas where I had issues. Added all together the total combined length of al of the areas along the chine is about 10 inches, the largest stretch is about 2 inches. Am I over thinking this? I realize that this is not a battleship just a lightweight skiff that will only have a 50hp motor and not exceed 30 mph. How much reinforcement is enough in general? I mean if i need to re-tape with 12oz then i will no worries I can certainly do that, but I thought that the 6 oz would just lay a little flatter.
I am very much an amateur at this, having never built one and seen what kind of strength it has in operation, I have no idea.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

I’ve found great satisfaction in drilling 1/8” holes and the. Filling the voids with thickened epoxy injected into the holes using a syringe.

Drill 2 in each bubble. The 2nd allows air to evacuate. More fun then grinding glass, but kind of. PITA to fill the syringes. Might work for you.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

You really want some glass in there or when it warms up in the summer someday; it'll expand more than the surrounding area and make a ridge. Follow Fuzz's advice and grind the area down enough for a 6 oz patch
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

I took the areas along the chine that had issues and removed the lifted glass, smoothed them out, put a little thickened epoxy in there then feathered that as well. Nothing extended into the original 12 oz taped area. The issues were only in the 12oz overlayment. I taped the chines again, but with 6 oz tape. so that the short sections I had issues with would still have the original 12oz tape along with this last 6 oz tape. The rest of the chine has the 12 oz tape, 12 oz overlayment, and 6 oz tape. I was amazed at how flat the 6 oz tape lays down. In the picture you can see a white line along the chine - this is the original glued seam sitting behind the layers of glass.
I also took this opportunity to run the 6oz tape to the edge of the sides so that the entire outside outside shell would be covered by some type of cloth both for wear and for ruggedness.
Attachments
20220301_140248.jpg
20220301_140151.jpg