Another FS17 Build Thread

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Another FS17 Build Thread

Post by mineratt »

The rub rail lamination is now finished and it is all sanded and smoothed over.
20220402_094754.jpg
It turned out very well. But then I thought that it might be nice glass it over. So I attempted to glass it over with 6oz biax tape. I used the premixed fillet goop and proceeded to tape it. I was able to tape the side of the boat and the bottom side of the rub rail bit the rail was not radiused enough to get the tape to roll over. So I left the sides without tape. I figure that the sides of the rub rail will get glassed when I install the side decking and glass over the side intersection/interface. I just thought that it might be easier to glass the rub rail when the boat was upside down. But at least the bottom will be neatly done. I just have a lot of trimming to do now.
20220403_153021.jpg
20220403_153029.jpg
I had installed the spray rail and I wanted to glass over it because it will have a lot water jetting along it when we are running. A constant pressure washer. But I did not want to lose the edge of the quarter round or blunt it off too much. I taped the top side, and bottom side but I could not get the tape to form around the outside edge. I found some 2oz fiberglass cloth that drapes really freely. I cut it into 2 inch stripes and put two layers along the length of the rail, it molded the tight radius corner of the quarter round. As this is for wear protection and not really for anything structural, why not. From what I have read, most spray rails are not glassed.
20220403_153034.jpg
I had not used the fillet goop yet, but it was super easy. I think i will use it to sharpen the chine and transom. When you use it on sanded glass/epoxy do you need to prep the surface with fresh epoxy first, or will it adhere to the sanded glass/epoxy just fine?

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

I’ll bring you a glimpse into your future… I glasses my side decks this afternoon and 12oz rolled nicely over a 3/8” radius down the face of the rubrail.

The tape may not have worked as you planned, but having the bottom edge of the rub rail taped neatly will be a good thing.

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

So I went and built the little dams on the chine to sharpen them up a little bit. I built the dams out of masking tape. I was told that the epoxy does not stick to masking tape, I was wrong. It came out pretty good, I have it roughly shaped and I need to backfill a few voids and flare it out a little bit more, as well as finish sanding off the rest of the masking tape.
Attachments
20220413_171101.jpg
20220413_171055.jpg
20220413_171047.jpg

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Ship tape does not stick to epoxy. The clear stuff. Or rather, epoxy does not stick to it.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Shipping/plastic tape good. Masking/paper tape not so much for epoxy work 8O But this just gives you a little more chance to bond with your sander of choice :lol:

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

I sanded off the tape. It would not scrape off, it had to be sanded off. I used a wide trowel to put the ez-fillet back on and I used the basic form to act as a minimum form. I think that overall it looks much better. Now it needs to be sanded out.
Attachments
20220415_162813.jpg
20220415_162806.jpg
20220415_162759.jpg

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Looking much better! Do not make those edges razor sharp. You need a little rounded for the paint to stick. One of the others might chime in with how much.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Fuzz is correct you need a slight round over of about 1/8 to 3/16" to keep the paint from peeling off.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

mineratt wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:07 pm I sanded off the tape. It would not scrape off, it had to be sanded off. I used a wide trowel to put the ez-fillet back on and I used the basic form to act as a minimum form. I think that overall it looks much better. Now it needs to be sanded out.
Oh yeah! Now they're looking right. The dams gave you a good base to fill against and work to. There is no "one step" process in plywood boat building. Knocking off the sharp corner like Fuzz and Tom have mentioned will be a snap.

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

It looks much better now, I have moved on to the skeg, to sand the base of it where I laid in the cloth over the skeg. I have sanded it, now it will be time to try out the quick fair to further smooth it all out.
I will go back to the chines when I start to fair out the bottom and sides, I think the last item will be to put the final chine roundedness on the edge.
So now I have an almost completed (outside at least) boat upside down in the garage. It looks a lot bigger now for some reason. The thought of fairing it all out seams a bit larger of a chore. So I have been biting it off in smaller pieces; chine, transom, skeg, stern side, bow side, and sides. Like Mr. Cash said, one piece at a time.