Semi Dory or V12--which sails faster?

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
SteveSails
New Poster
New Poster

Semi Dory or V12--which sails faster?

Post by SteveSails »

Flat bottom or V bottom? Semi Dory or V12?

I've been sailing for many years on many different sailboats (Laser, Flying Scot, Star, Catalina 22 & 26 and others) inland waters. I've not sailed a skiff or other small flat bottom boat. I've read that a flat bottom boat can get up on a plane with less wind than a V bottom and therefore could be faster. I've also read that a V bottom can go through chop more easily, but at the right angle to the waves and a bit of heel, a flat bottom will sail just fine. I've purchased the plans for the Semi Dory and I'm sure she'll be a fun boat. But, if I'm going to put in the labor, I'd rather build the boat with the better performance.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks!

Steve

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Semi Dory or V12--which sails faster?

Post by Jaysen »

Performance is subjective. I live on a large sound that gets significant fetch. The v12 goes through it with no issues as a tow boat or under sail. I wouldn’t come spider her a race boat by any means, but she’s plenty of fun. Flat bottom would technically go faster if you could manage the slapping.

Are you looking for speed or comfort. Two different performance metrics. Which one matters most?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Once a flat bottom skiff heels under wind pressure, you've got a v-bottom in essence.
Hank

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

pee wee wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:55 am Once a flat bottom skiff heels under wind pressure, you've got a v-bottom in essence.
My experience with the v12 is that at about 10kn wind, I'm flat bottom for the same reason. It's really odd to feel the hull "pop up" when it settles on the bottom panel. She doesn't plane and the shape of the bow still cuts chop. I don't think there is a wrong answer to which one is better. I think the question is "what does better mean". If you want speed then flat bottom, longer hull. Like a ck17 or ar15. I plan to build a ck17 once the mrs gives me my jar of walnuts back.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

SteveSails
New Poster
New Poster

Post by SteveSails »

Jaysen,
Hank,

Thanks for the feedback! Like in life...there are always some tradeoffs. The good thing about sailing, all of the options are good!

Good performance is wish, but I'm not expecting either the Semi Dory or the V 12 to sail like a racing dinghy. Right now, I would like stay less than 100 lbs. otherwise I might consider a bigger boat.

I think that I'm going to change tacks a go with the V12. If Jaysen can feel the V12 pop up in a 10kn wind that sounds like fun to me.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

Steve

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Couple things to keep in mind with the v12.

Once configured for sail it’s very limited space wise. I can sail very comfortably alone. With the Mrs. … she really has to like close company.

My lil piggy weighs in about 150 dry. The reasons for this:
1. Doubled all the tape outside the hull.
2. 2 layers 12oz cloth outside.
3. Filled aft seat with 2p part floatation foam.
4. Way too much epoxy used for glass, bottom coat, filling the bow gaps.

Knowing what I know now I might change a few things. I think it would be pretty easy to build the hull under 100 but once you add sails and other hardware expect closer to 130 (just sailing and safety stuff).

Also invest in decent oars. The V10/12 row amazingly well. I row across the sound (at casual pace but loaded to about 175 for fishing plus my 200lbs of fat) with little real effort in 30-40 minutes.

I find the gunwales need a bit of adjustment to make the oarlock motion better. Tony (terrulian) did some work on his V10 to adjust oarlock location/angle. I haven’t fixed mine yet. Check out how he did his to get some ideas.

Lastly… if you need a hand dolly, consider something like dynamic dollies type 1. Pricey as heck but gloriously smooth and easy. If you look at my recent posts about Lil Bit you’ll see mention of damage from launching. This is a problem with the conditions at my ramp not the design of the hull or dolly. You leave a boat sitting on concrete in 1’ swells and you’ll loose some glass!

Have fun with the build. Start a thread and give us lots of photos.