LM 18 with Tunnel Build - Texas

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
GrantL
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

LM 18 with Tunnel Build - Texas

Post by GrantL »

Hey folks, just getting started assembling things to kick off this build. Using the CNC kit and SilverTip epoxy kit. The boat will be used to fish the very shallow Texas coastal marshes and flats. New to boat building and fiberglass construction in general so will probably have lots of questions moving forward. Love all the similar threads on current and past builds and have learned a ton reading through them. Some really nice boats y'all have built out there!

Below are some pics of the updated assembly. Been working on and off for about 5 days now and have the strong back assembled, stringers and transom sanded and 1 layer of epoxy applied before i glue them together. A couple questions below if anyone has any advice. Also, if there is anything you feel a first time boat builder and rookie fiberglasser should know, please feel free to chime in! Thanks again and will try to keep this as up to date as possible!

1. i noticed some "divots" in the CNC cut transom pieces near the edges. Should i just fill them in with extra epoxy when i glue the transom pieces together? or use some other product before that? its a few small indentations near the edges where the very top ply of wood chipped back a bit.

2. i am planning to use the Gel Magic to glue the transom and stringers together. Any other applications y'all recommend for this?

3. For the tunnel, when do you recommend i cut out the tunnel opening in the transom? after i glue all 3 pieces together or before and then glue after?
Attachments
IMG_3837.jpg
IMG_3835.jpg
IMG_3834.jpg

Ryan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: LM 18 with Tunnel Build - Texas

Post by Ryan »

Hey man I’m new to it too! I’m building the same boat up here in NC with a tunnel. Pretty sure me and you will be the only ones that have built one with a tunnel. We’ll have to collaborate!

I think the only advise I can give you is to make sure to sand those panels you precoated before applying anymore resin or you might get a weak bond. I also might have some tips for you when you get to that tunnel.

~Ryan

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

When you laminate the transom and stringers, fit them together dry first and drill holes for nails or dowels . . something to lock them into place so when you've got them wet with epoxy they don't slip and slide out of position. Also, some guys like to drill a vent hole or two in the middle area of the top layer of the transom assembly so they can see glue squeeze out and confirm they've got enough glue and weight to do the job.
As to the chips on the edges, a smear of glue will fill those right up. Keep a note pad at hand while you're building and make notes of any small needs for filler or glue so that you can catch the little things when you've got a batch mixed up for a bigger job.
Hank

GrantL
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by GrantL »

Thanks Both!

Ryan - will def get ahold of you when i start doing the tunnel - Question, did you cut the tunnel out of the transom before you glued all the pieces together? or after you had formed the 3 layer transom?

Pee Wee -
- So do you recommend drilling small holes through all 3 transom layers and fitting either a nail or small dowel rod while the pieces cure? Once they cure, do you pull it out and fill
in with epoxy resin? I'm using the Gel Magic, will i still need the vent hole for this product since its a little thicker than normal resin?
- And noted on the vent hole, very helpful, is that only for the top piece or for all three in same spot?

Ryan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ryan »

I cut the tunnel notch in one transom piece and used it as a template. You could cut all three together if you wanted. Not sure what kind of tools you’re using. I didn’t have the cnc kit, sometimes I wish I would’ve bought it.

Ryan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ryan »

What are your plans for your boat? Tiller, remote steer? What size motor. I’ve changed my mind about 5 times in the last month…

GrantL
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by GrantL »

Sounds good! i am planning to cut the tunnel notch in the transom after it cures and also after i have assembled the hull, prior to laminating.

And i plan to do very small center console with a 50hp Tohatsu or Yamaha, assuming weight isn't too much of an issue. My goal for this boat is more shallow water performance than top speed. I need to get up in close to nothing as these marshes over here are super skinny.

Ryan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ryan »

Same here. I’m looking for a 40-50 motor, they’re hard to find. Lately I’ve been looking for a donor boat. I’m going to do a small console as well.

GrantL
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by GrantL »

are you trying to find a used motor? i was looking and probably going to get a new one if i don't find anything nice that is used

Ryan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ryan »

Yeah man NC is tapped out. I’ve been looking in Florida too. I may have to go there to find one. The good thing about a repurposed boat, you could probably rob some other stuff off it.