Page 1 of 1

Bogie’s CH14 in Myrtle Beach

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:55 am
by Bogieman
Hello everyone! It’s time to build a canoe :D After selling my AD16 (Tipsy) to Rafael, I bought a small camper with the goal of traveling and exploring our great country. I’ve already been out on several trips and quickly realized I needed a kayak or canoe and I didn’t want to buy one.

Yesterday I swung by BBC and picked up the CH14 cnc kit and epoxy fiberglass kit. It was great seeing Jeff and Reid too. I’ll be starting soon. She will be orange with white interior and natural seats, rub rails and breast hooks. Can’t wait to get started!

Bogie

Re: Bogie’s CH14 in Myrtle Beach

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:08 pm
by Jaysen
Nice! I bet you get that done in record time!

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:14 pm
by Jeff
Great seeing you guys Bogie!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:23 pm
by Bogieman
Jaysen wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:08 pm Nice! I bet you get that done in record time!
Hi Jaysen! I’m hoping she’ll be done by this time next month- in time for our next trip. Not going to rush it though …

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:21 pm
by OrangeQuest
Bogieman wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:23 pm
Jaysen wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:08 pm Nice! I bet you get that done in record time!
Hi Jaysen! I’m hoping she’ll be done by this time next month- in time for our next trip. Not going to rush it though …
But don't try to be so speedy we don't get pictures!

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:10 pm
by Bogieman
:lol:
OrangeQuest wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:21 pm
Bogieman wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:23 pm
But don't try to be so speedy we don't get pictures!

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:14 pm
by Bogieman
Today I began splicing the bottom panels. Man I’ve missed building boats. And once again I’m doing some building indoors (I’m almost a pro by now so don’t worry ) :D

Bogie

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:13 am
by OrangeQuest
Already looking good!

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:43 am
by Jeff
Nice Bogie!!!! Jeff

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:21 pm
by TomW1
Nice Bogie, we need at least two pictures a day, :lol: And an explanation of any mods you make. It will make a great canoe to take with you.

Tom

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:23 pm
by Bogieman
TomW1 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:21 pm Nice Bogie, we need at least two pictures a day, :lol: And an explanation of any mods you make. It will make a great canoe to take with you.

Tom
Heyyyy Tom!!! Good to hear from you. Yes, I’ll post a bunch of pics. More coming this evening

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:27 pm
by Bogieman
Hello everyone!

I have completed all of the splices on the bottom and side panels. They should be fully cured by tomorrow morning at which time I will use my extra sheet of quarter inch to lay out the rub rails (tracing the curvature of the shear edge on the side panels).
This is my fourth BBC boat and my first time purchasing /using the CNC kit. I must say i can see how it could spoil a man😀 I imagine how much easier Tipsy would have been with a CNC kit. Laying out the dimensions on 22 sheets of plywood can be nerve-racking.

My progress is dog approved .

Bogie

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:25 pm
by Bogieman
Decided to do a bit more work tonight. Here I’ve traced/ used the sheer curve to draw out the 12 pieces needed to make the rub rail. The CNC kit only included enough wood (2 sheets of 1/4”) to make the hull. I purchased an extra sheet so that I could make the seats, yolk, breast hooks and rub rails out of marine ply.

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:25 am
by OrangeQuest
Really coming along nicely and the dog is very cute. Looks a lot like my little dog but mine has the white markings from age.

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:26 pm
by Bogieman
OrangeQuest wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:25 am Really coming along nicely and the dog is very cute. Looks a lot like my little dog but mine has the white markings from age.
Hi OQ! Haha she’s a rat terrier and she’s old and graying but It doesn’t show in the pic. She also has a snaggle tooth that sticks out sideways :lol:

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:15 pm
by Bogieman
More progress!
Today my nephew and I dragged the boat into the front yard and completed the stitching. The bow sections were a two man job- I was glad for the extra set of hands. Still requires a tweak here and there but I should be able to get the panels spot welded tomorrow.
My nephew also came up with a great idea to make panel alignment easier in the areas where there was a lot of tension. He suggested flipping the boat upside down and then inserting/ using a 1x2 vertically from underneath - downward force could then be applied on the boat - the 1x2 naturally tries to push the panels apart creating the desired gap between panels. Once the gap was achieved we then tightened the zip ties accordingly.

I love her pretty lines

Bogie

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:40 pm
by Jeff
Nice Bogie!!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:53 pm
by Fuzz
That is some fast work. A little glass and epoxy and it will be ready to float :lol:

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:25 pm
by Bogieman
Hello!
Today I completed the spot welding of the hull. Next up- removing all the zip ties then glassing all seams (my favorite part of Boat building).

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:36 pm
by Jeff
Good progress Bogie!!! Jeff

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:28 pm
by Bogieman
Jeff wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:36 pm Good progress Bogie!!! Jeff
Thanks Jeff!

Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:36 pm
by Bogieman
Hello!

It was 60 degrees and sunny today, which meant I could drag the boat outside and complete the fiberglassing of the inside seams in one fell swoop with no worries of anything curing until the boat was back inside the warm house 😀 I did everything wet on wet and all three seams were done with full length pieces of glass tape. It took about three and a half hours. Won’t be able to do much more these next few days because we have bad weather coming.

Oh, my entire body hurts now :lol:

Bogie

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:06 am
by OrangeQuest
Really nice! Thanks for all the pictures!

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:14 pm
by Bogieman
OrangeQuest wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:06 am Really nice! Thanks for all the pictures!
Hi OQ! Thanks and you’re welcome. I’ll be doing the bottom next. More pics coming in a couple days

Bogie

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:56 am
by Bogieman
Hello from Myrtle Beach!

We had an ice storm last night. Everything is frozen. It’s 9:00 am. What to do…what to do…
I know ! Put shorts on and sand the boat :lol:

It was worth it because the bottom
Is ready for glass now.

Bogie

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:12 pm
by Bogieman
Ready for bottom glass!

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:10 pm
by Fuzz
Nice! You are moving right along :D

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:49 pm
by Bogieman
Fuzz wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:10 pm Nice! You are moving right along :D
Hi Fuzz! Yup! It hurt a bit, but I’m a man driven by my passions (like you ). Are you building these days? If not, any pics to share of what you’ve been up to lately.
P.S. For years and years you have been one of the best examples of what this forum is about and I really appreciate you being here.

Cheers

Bogie

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:42 am
by Fuzz
Thanks Bogie those are some really nice words.
I have been very lucky to have meet some really great people through this forum. One of the best things I ever did was make it to a couple of builders meets. If any of you builders get the chance you should make the time to go. When all this covid stuff is in back of us I really hope to attend more of them.
As for what I have been up to I have a project I am messing with but life things have been getting in the way and slowing things down. I will post something when it is enough to be worth it.

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:07 pm
by Bogieman
The bottom glass is done and she is right side up again. Next up: breast hooks on both ends. This is the pattern I will cut out and trace onto the marine ply. I used my big pizza pan to make the curve radius. :lol:

I will do the rub rails once the breast hooks are in.

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:40 pm
by Jeff
Nice work Bogie!!!! Jeff

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:18 am
by Fuzz
Man some of you guys sure must work clean. If I tried that it would save time to just hand a loaded gun to the boss :help:

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:57 am
by Bogieman
Fuzz wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:18 am Man some of you guys sure must work clean. If I tried that it would save time to just hand a loaded gun to the boss :help:
Fuzz it’s basically the same principle as when I was a member of the flight deck catapult crew. You just keep telling yourself “Don’t xxxx up or you’re dead” :lol:

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:49 pm
by Bogieman
Today I installed the seats, breast hooks and yoke. The yoke will be shaped later. Next up: rub rails. And it’s almost time again for sanding and faring.

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:50 pm
by Jeff
Nice Bogie!!! I really like your camper as well!! Jeff

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:11 am
by Bogieman
Jeff wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:50 pm Nice Bogie!!! I really like your camper as well!! Jeff
Thank you, Jeff!

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:24 pm
by OrangeQuest
Wow! the canoe is coming along nicely.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:07 pm
by Bogieman
OrangeQuest wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:24 pm Wow! the canoe is coming along nicely.
Thanks OQ! Back at it again tomorrow

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:48 pm
by Bogieman
Hello!

Today I decided to uninstall the yoke and install a third (middle) seat instead. It only added a couple pounds so she is still quite light. The epoxy kit for the boat is one and a half gallons and so far I’ve only used 3/4 of that. The rub rail is all I have left to install so I have more than enough to finish the boat. I did buy an additional 3 quarts in order to fare the hull with micro balloons.

Here’s a couple pics

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:31 pm
by Fuzz
That really looks nice, you are doing a fine job :wink:

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:03 am
by Bogieman
Thanks Fuzz!

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:07 am
by Bogieman
Hello

Rub rails are on! The building phase of this project is complete. Now it’s time for hours and hours and hours and hours of sanding and faring :lol:

Hope everyone is having a great time building and dreaming about boats.

Bogie

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:15 am
by Jaysen
Just curious about the rubrail section at the near end. It looks odd. Is there space between the outer and inner layers of the rubrail?

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:58 am
by Bogieman
Jaysen wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:15 am Just curious about the rubrail section at the near end. It looks odd. Is there space between the outer and inner layers of the rubrail?
Hi Jaysen!
No, it’s just a byproduct of my less than perfect cutting with the jigsaw. The rub rail is higher in some spots than others but once I hit it with a belt sander and trim off the excess pieces on each end it will be fine

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:13 am
by Jaysen
Bogieman wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:58 am
Jaysen wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:15 am Just curious about the rubrail section at the near end. It looks odd. Is there space between the outer and inner layers of the rubrail?
Hi Jaysen!
No, it’s just a byproduct of my less than perfect cutting with the jigsaw. The rub rail is higher in some spots than others but once I hit it with a belt sander and trim off the excess pieces on each end it will be fine
I figured it was something like that. Looks great! Can't wait to see the next stage.

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:35 am
by OrangeQuest
It is looking very nice, like you have built a boat or two before!
Once you are finished you can get some EVA foam to pad the seats. I use the hobby foam for building seat cushions for our plastic canoes when I have to replace the factory seats with home built. You don't need real thick EVA. It is durable and light weight and I use felt to protect it from the UV and make it look better than foam alone. I am getting thin sheets to line my lockers with to keep things like anchors from chipping the epoxy.

https://tntcosplaysupply.com/product/eva-foam-sheets/

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:45 am
by Bogieman
OrangeQuest wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:35 am It is looking very nice, like you have built a boat or two before!
Once you are finished you can get some EVA foam to pad the seats. I use the hobby foam for building seat cushions for our plastic canoes when I have to replace the factory seats with home built. You don't need real thick EVA. It is durable and light weight and I use felt to protect it from the UV and make it look better than foam alone. I am getting thin sheets to line my lockers with to keep things like anchors from chipping the epoxy.

https://tntcosplaysupply.com/product/eva-foam-sheets/
Thanks OQ!

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:29 am
by Bogieman
Hi!

It’s micro balloon time! Here is the first application. We are having a beautiful day. Temps hit the magic number (60) at 9:00am and are still climbing. Temps won’t drop below 60 until after midnight.

Bogie

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:55 pm
by Jeff
Looks good Bogie!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:15 pm
by Fuzz
Looks good. Boy would it be nice to be outside in 60f weather about now.

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:20 pm
by wdr99
Fuzz wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:15 pm Looks good. Boy would it be nice to be outside in 60f weather about now.
2 degrees F here, at least the wind is down!

Bill

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:46 pm
by Jaysen
Anyone needs a vacation south, let me know. I’m happy to give you space to thaw.

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:08 am
by Bogieman
Hi!
Here’s the second and final application of micro balloons. I’ve finally exhausted the 1 1/2 gallon epoxy kit :D
Tomorrow I’ll fare her (will be fast) and begin painting

Bogie

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:54 pm
by Fuzz
You have done a hell of a job to get this far on 1.5 gallons of epoxy!!!

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:39 am
by Bogieman
Fuzz wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:54 pm You have done a hell of a job to get this far on 1.5 gallons of epoxy!!!
Thanks Fuzz! I’m really trying to keep her light

Bogie

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:11 pm
by Bogieman
Super happy with this!

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:40 pm
by Jeff
Nice Bogie!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:01 am
by Dougster
Really does look good. I built the Cheap Canoe from left over ply and use it often. Bet you get a lot of fun from this one.

Dougster

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:25 pm
by OrangeQuest
That does look very nice! And I love the color! :D

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:03 pm
by fallguy1000
I like it!

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:42 pm
by Bogieman
Thanks Fuzz, Jeff, Dougster, OQ and Fallguy!

Yes Dougster can’t wait to do some fishing and exploring.
OQ I knew you’d like the orange :D

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:07 pm
by Fuzz
Just need to write "HELP" on the bottom and you will be all set for search and rescue :lol:

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:07 pm
by Bogieman
Finished faring the inside

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:00 am
by Jeff
Nice Bogie!!! Jeff

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:55 am
by Bogieman
Splashed !

I finished her a few weeks ago but had to wait until this past weekend to splash her. My nephew tagged along. She is very smooth and fast but also a bit wobbly side to side but that’s the nature of a canoe. I’m very happy with her.

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:03 pm
by Fuzz
Very nice! And you are getting good use out of it so that makes it even better.
Canoe being tippy is part of the deal. I grew up with a 19 foot square stern Grumman canoe. We used it for just about everything. Ended up putting small out riggers on it and that solved the tippy problem.

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:58 am
by cape man
What's the weight?

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:59 pm
by Bogieman
Fuzz wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:03 pm Very nice! And you are getting good use out of it so that makes it even better.
Canoe being tippy is part of the deal. I grew up with a 19 foot square stern Grumman canoe. We used it for just about everything. Ended up putting small out riggers on it and that solved the tippy problem.
Thanks Fuzz!

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:01 pm
by Bogieman
cape man wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:58 am What's the weight?
Hi Capeman! It’s right around 55-60 lbs because I did optional glass (10oz) on the bottom.

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:59 pm
by cape man
That's till light enough for a one man to easily carry.

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:47 pm
by OrangeQuest
Bogieman wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:55 am Splashed !

I finished her a few weeks ago but had to wait until this past weekend to splash her. My nephew tagged along. She is very smooth and fast but also a bit wobbly side to side but that’s the nature of a canoe. I’m very happy with her.
The more you paddle her the more you will stop noticing the wobble. Most of it is you are new to paddling the boat. As you learn that she is very stable the wobble goes away. Canoes are known for their strong secondary stability. She is a pretty boat.

Need artwork on her.

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:00 am
by Bogieman
OrangeQuest wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:47 pm
Bogieman wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:55 am Splashed !

The more you paddle her the more you will stop noticing the wobble. Most of it is you are new to paddling the boat. As you learn that she is very stable the wobble goes away. Canoes are known for their strong secondary stability. She is a pretty boat.

Need artwork on her.
Thanks OQ!
Yessss! There seems to almost be a psychology of letting go of the concern of tipping over and instead just paddling and letting the body correct automatically.
I will soon be testing her out again over a 3 day period fishing for trout on a huge crystal clear lake. I’ll post pics

What type of artwork?

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:16 am
by OrangeQuest
It took a while to find this but this may help. https://www.legendsofamerica.com/na-symbols/

Scroll down for the symbols on canoes and there meaning.

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:16 am
by Bogieman
Devils Fork state park lake Jocassee in Western South Carolina

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:24 am
by Jeff
Nice Bogie!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:37 pm
by Bogieman
Jeff wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:24 am Nice Bogie!!! Jeff
Thanks Jeff!
The outriggers really stabilized things. She is smooth and fast

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:14 pm
by Jeff
Excellent Bogie and it looks really nice!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:56 pm
by Fuzz
Those outriggers are slick! Look like they are quick to install and remove. Does not take much to really stabilize things. Mine were set up so they only touched the water when the boat leaned.