Widen a Chenoa canoe.

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Widen a Chenoa canoe.

Post by fallguy1000 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:21 pm
fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:11 pm
VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:23 pm How about building a SUP? Standable, self bailing.
No serious fisherman wants to fish from sup.
I'll see my self out, thanks.
I just love your humor Vermont. I was going through the reeds looking for some big bluegills when the wind got me. Dad was madder hearing I was out in the rough more than losing the pole.

Maybe it is me, but I'm past the days of enjoying getting soaked.

My apologies; please return and focus on the needs of old men with replacement parts.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Part of my family income is tied directly to Fishing SUP sales so I may have some heightened sensitivity on the subject, admittedly, but I felt more like giving you some shit then going through any explanation, so I appreciate you taking it in stride.

I'll be the first to admit that it's an adventure, but keep in mind that OWT is in NZ, and those folks are nuts, as we all know!

Build on, thanks for checking in!

Jeff
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I would be interested in seeing a fishing SUP. Plenty around here, but I've never seen anyone fish off them. I have seen people catch Kingfish (Amberjack) with their bare hands though.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/6 ... bare-hands

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Based on my experience with folks from that island. I think that is just a normal Tuesday. You all have a penchant for making Aussies seem tame.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Getting a bit off target, but I have visions of those 20' sea crocs flying off the bank while owt is casting for barramundi from his sup....

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:59 pm I would be interested in seeing a fishing SUP. Plenty around here, but I've never seen anyone fish off them. I have seen people catch Kingfish (Amberjack) with their bare hands though.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/6 ... bare-hands
Elaine hooked into a few bowfin this day but they all broke off, Luckily!
20200623_183546.jpg
Opening day for trout in vt i think, what the experts call "amateur hour".
Screenshot_20220119-221938_Instagram.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

cape man

Post by cape man »

The crocs and Barramundi are a wee bit north of owt. :lol:
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

:) All on the West Island.

Nothing dangerous in our lakes or rivers other than the weather.

Side note. The constitution of Australia still has NZ marked as a state if we so wish. At one stage it was seriously considered.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

cape man wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:08 am The crocs and Barramundi are a wee bit north of owt. :lol:
Hijacker warning. We'll return to boats shortly.

All fine, but the cartoon of a guy fishing from a SUP when that sea croc flies off the high bank is terrifying. Isn't there like a 5 year rule that every 5 years or so one of them big sea crocs gets a human swimmer or small craft?

Here is a fun read. Bit morbid I suppose,

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/t ... d-massacre

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

VT_Jeff wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:23 pm How about building a SUP? Standable, self bailing.
It's funny but I just bought plans to the FS13. I may or may not build it, but there's SUP plywood plans that come in at 20kg or under. There is room to shave some weight off the FS13 if one eschews an outboard: Omit the 8kg (2 gallons) foam, use a lighter glass on the hull, omit doublers in the middle section (I have a 6mm sheet for the sole), put in a 4mm or 6mm transom instead of the 16mm indicated and cut the transom flush to the deck at the stern. I have some high density polyurethane block foam that would serve as under deck cleats and flotation in one. Some of these steps might seem extreme, but there are plywood SUP boards built much lighter. Typically a bit smaller in size than the FS13, which is the other thing I can do, scale it down a little.

Some of these may seem extreme, but for a paddle boat used occasionally recreationally the specs for the FS13 are well in excess of the typical plywood SUPs that I see.

I'll think about it while I finish the C17, and I might even put a build thread up.