GS 28 - Behavior at High Speed

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: GS 28 - Behavior at High Speed

Post by TomW1 »

Okay there you have your permission from Jacques, as long as you do not go over 300P you are fine, and you will be around 50 mph at top speed as I said earlier. And as I mentioned he also recommends trim tabs.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Johnston
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Johnston »

TomW1 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:56 pm Okay there you have your permission from Jacques, as long as you do not go over 300P you are fine, and you will be around 50 mph at top speed as I said earlier. And as I mentioned he also recommends trim tabs.

Tom
Tom thank you - I really appreciate your valuable contribution to discussion.

Jacques - thank you for your response. Are the tabs to lift the bow slightly at speed and prevent it digging in - given the shape of the hull bottom side?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Jonstson, just the reverse, trim tabs will help in keeping the bow down and the porpoising to a minimum. They help in maintaining the boats form as she moves through the water. This is especially true if you get the auto self-leveling ones. They will keep you not only at your best front to back but also port to starboard I do not know of any trim tabs that trim the bow up as you can use the motor to do that.

Well hope this helps.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

Personally, I wouldn't get self-levelling trim tabs! :doh: Sometimes it is really handy to be able to lean the boat away from incoming spray from a quartering sea/wind. :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

BarraMan wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:45 pm Personally, I wouldn't get self-levelling trim tabs! :doh: Sometimes it is really handy to be able to lean the boat away from incoming spray from a quartering sea/wind. :D
Or if you have a couple "big boys" passed out on the same side of the boat.

Don't ask. It wasn't pretty.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I did not say self-leveling I said auto-leveling, they are made by Bennett and can be switched from auto-leveling to manual leveling. Here, https://bennetttrimtabs.com/atp/

Tom

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

TomW1 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:03 pm I did not say self-leveling I said auto-leveling, they are made by Bennett and can be switched from auto-leveling to manual leveling. Here, https://bennetttrimtabs.com/atp/
Tom
OK, thanks for the clarification. I’ve got the auto-levelling module on my Bennett sport tabs. Seemed like a good idea at the time but I have never been able to get it to work, and after 5 yrs of operating without it, I honestly can’t see the point. :doh:

It’s just so easy to level the boat manually! :D

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

duplicate
Last edited by TomW1 on Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

duplicate
Last edited by TomW1 on Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

duplicate