Marinepoxy “fast” time at 60f

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Marinepoxy “fast” time at 60f

Post by Jaysen »

BBC, I’m getting antsy waiting for better temps (especially since Bogieman finished his canoe). Assuming 60-65F what is my time needed for cure?

Trying to plan out paint windows and such

Thanks!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Marinepoxy “fast” time at 60f

Post by Reid »

Jaysen,

If you are using Fast Hardener I would expect 20-25 mins of work time, pot life obviously less. If you have Slow Hardener, you will have all day to work it. :lol:

-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I have loads of slow, but I need it to cure sometime before april, hence the use of fast. I know the fast will cure at 60-65 (full hardness). I just don't remember if that is 72hr above 60°F or if it is longer. Need to plan the paint window.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen I keep my shop at a steady 60f. Slow will harden for me over night. I see some signs it is not fully hard yet but it is hard enough to work with. I bet you would be good to go in 48 hours or less.
You could always get a half gallon of fast and if you need more than that mix it with the slow to get medium. That will work for sure at 60f.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

All about ground temps. Overnite might not be quite enough, but am extra day ought to be fine. You won't get a super good cure at those temps and you could get some printing, depends what you are doing.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz… plenary of both. Regularly mix for medium. I think I’m going to be swinging between 40 and 65 over the next couple days. That should extend the “green time” to make it a bit less sanding for solid bond.

Btw, down here shops need AC for 9mo out of the year.

FG1K ground temp is what I’m measuring. Thermometer is same height off ground as boat. Not in direct sun light. I was going to take my own advice and tent, heat, work but … tent is no more and Mrs cut me off from the parts store. “Too many boats and you don’t need more stuff to distract you from getting it done.” She’s not wrong. Boat is not going to be pretty so at this point I’m going to go with it and hope we get a warm spell a couple days so I can paint in a couple weeks.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Colder temp also means humidity swings like we have here in Houston. Ours may be cooler and drier in the morning but humidity goes up with the temp. Then at nightfall that moisture collects and settles on everything.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

OrangeQuest wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:26 am Colder temp also means humidity swings like we have here in Houston. Ours may be cooler and drier in the morning but humidity goes up with the temp. Then at nightfall that moisture collects and settles on everything.
Yeah... I'll be covering with 4mil plastic once the glass is down (neat coat, glass, saturation coat, glass, saturation, repeat as needed, smoothing silica coat). NOt quite "tented" but not a peel ply type thing either. That kept me dry on the original build. Hoping it works this time too.