VG20 question - sprit rig?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

VG20 question - sprit rig?

Post by mhd »

Hi,

Has anyone explored going with a sprit rig on the VG18/VG20. In "Skiffs and Schooners" book (Culler) he writes that the maximum practical mast length would be 16' which would be a useful rig to power a 20' to 22' boat. A freestanding mast would need to be much thicker than a Bermudan rig, but only 16' long compared to ~26', with a weight saving re: rigging, etc. Especially if a hollow mast was used. Comments? The more I read about it, the more I like the sprit rig for its simplicity.

https://www.yrvind.com/rigs/

I've seen posts regarding putting a Chinese lug rig on the VG18/VG20 for simplicity, but no mention of a sprit rig.

Mick

(ply already ordered for my first build - FB11 - future build will be VG20 or VG23 if I can squeeze it in the garage).
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: VG20 question - sprit rig?

Post by Jaysen »

Don’t forget you have the sprit weight up there as well.

Sprits have some complications when sailing. Consider how reefing and dousing would work. You also have the sprit creating a favored and disfavored tack. I would think a gaff rig would be better for a VG. That would also allow the use of the forestay jib and asymmetrical spinnaker which the lug sails prevent.

I use a sprit on my v12. Much smaller than the VG but it magnified some of the issues with a sprit for me. You may not find them as troublesome as I do though.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

A sprit rig would be too heavy as would any unstayed rig. It would make the boat unstable.
A plain marconi rig as shown is simple and economical. Plus, in that size, it is easy to find a used rig with sails laying around in a boat yard.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Thanks for the advice Jacques/Jaysen. Much appreciated. I thought that would be the answer but wanted to check to be sure.

Paint and epoxy arrived for the FB11 this week. I'll post pictures of the build as I go, once the ply arrives. The FB11 is intended as a smaller project to warm up for a bigger one. Actually first builds were a pair of oars and a stitch-and-glue planter/box to keep our shoes in by the front door - those are finished and the planter just needs painting now :-)

I'm not daunted by the build itself - I'm mostly anxious that whichever boat we go for we don't regret our choice. So I'm still torn between ordering plans for VG20 or VG23 - after three years of reading/researching/thinking about this. Requirements are very similar to Justin's requirements on his Just Right project.

Requirements:

Max two person crew
Coastal inshore cruising (east/west coasts + Baja)
Short cruises (up to a week)
Short off-shore passages (e.g. Bahamas)
Towable (New Mexico is a long way from the water!)
As simple a boat/rig as possible - everything should be fixable by the crew.

VG20 Pros:
Lighter to trailer/tow
Quicker to build
Less expensive
On the water faster
Will fit in one side of the garage

VG23 Pros:
More suitable for offshore passages
Longer cruises possible
Larger (more stores/comfort)

All things equal, we'd both prefer the bigger boat and woud build the VG23 outside if we could, but we simply don't have the space to do that. Plus the VG23 is heavier to tow and will take longer to build. Ah, all boats are a compromise. Biggest concerns are towing and taking up the entire garage for over a year with the VG23.

We're both have some limited sailing experience. Building a boat for cruising has always been the goal. And now retirement approaches, it is time to start building and get back on the water.

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.