Aluminum transom build

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Randy D
New Poster
New Poster

Aluminum transom build

Post by Randy D »

Rebuilding a transom on a aluminum boat. I will be using 1.5"x1.5" 3/16 square tubing. using tig welder. This is what i came up with in my drawing plans.
20210930_164838.jpg
transom1.png
transom.png
. Any tips on how I should go upon this?

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Aluminum transom build

Post by Jeff »

Randy, welcome to our Builders Forum!! We don't have many aluminum boat builders but there are a few!! I hope someone can assist you!! Again, welcome, Jeff

Randy D
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Randy D »

This is the redesign version 2. also forgot to mention this is a 1987 18' starcraft. Thoughts and opinions appreciated.
TRANSOM2.png

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Looking at the first picture it appears you have removed a rotten plywood transom that was secured to the frame/lip and the single, center rib. Your drawings certainly will provide additional strength by creating a box that is now tied into the transom, but you will still need to cover the transom with something. Are you thinking aluminum, or will you replace the ply wood and tie the structure you draw to it? How big an engine is going to hang there?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Randy D
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Randy D »

cape man wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:21 am Looking at the first picture it appears you have removed a rotten plywood transom that was secured to the frame/lip and the single, center rib. Your drawings certainly will provide additional strength by creating a box that is now tied into the transom, but you will still need to cover the transom with something. Are you thinking aluminum, or will you replace the ply wood and tie the structure you draw to it? How big an engine is going to hang there?
Thanks for your Reply Cape Man! I will be using a sheet of aluminum to sandwich the transom. I'm planning of using square tubing in replace of the plywood. I plan to use a 140 engine. I want to make the back of the boat to a more usable platform while reinforcing the structure.
Originally the back 2feet of the boat was unusable held together with thin aluminum.
This is not my boat but a example of what it use to look like in the back.
boat.png

Randy D
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Randy D »

is This Piece circled in green needed or am i doing to much? a aluminum plate will go on top providing rigidity.
tran4.png

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I know nothing about building with metal but I do know you need the transom to be tough. 140hp is a lot for a 18 foot boat.

Randy D
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Randy D »

Fuzz wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:08 pm I know nothing about building with metal but I do know you need the transom to be tough. 140hp is a lot for a 18 foot boat.
Thanks for the reply Fuzz, The boat is rated for a 140 and 1800lbs load with the original plywood transom. i honestly don't think those specs are right but its stamped on the boat.

Randy D
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Randy D »

[progress][/progress] Trying to figure out where to add foam for hull rigidity.
tran 5.png

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I am a huge believer in over building the transom. And keep a close eye out for cracking when you start using the boat. Many years ago I had two friends that had the transom come out of their skiff. Found the boat but never found them.