VG23 Dimensions Question

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

VG23 Dimensions Question

Post by mhd »

I've plenty of room in the garage to build the VG20, but the VG23 would be VERY tight. Approx. 22x20' double garage with a post offset to one side, so VG23 would have to be built diagonal. A quick play with my tape shows it might be possible but I'd need to know the boat width at various points to be sure I could actually get a basket around the boat, *and* avoid the post, *and* be able to manaeuver the boat out of the garage door.

Is it possible to aquire the width of the boat at various lengths? See the cartoon/sketch below - hopefully I've embedded it in this post correctly.

https://www.community.boatbuildercentra ... layout.jpg

I could start wtih trig calculations but really need the boat width as this would allow me to tape up a semi-accurate footprint in paper and see how much space the footprint is really going to take up and how tight things actually are. As a minimum is it possible to get the width at the stern and the length down the boat where the beam is maximised?

Thanks in advance,

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: VG23 Dimensions Question

Post by BarraMan »

Good luck Mick - been there done that! 8O

Still getting grief for taking a door off a cupboard and chopping a piece off a bench! :help:

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

If the rudder is included in the LOA you will pick up a little more space , I would also check the LOA

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Yep, will be a challenge! There isn't anywhere I can realistically cut into (unfortunately) to increase the build space.

I can take measurements off the study plan diagram, assuming that is a scale diagram on Page 4. But I'm at the stage where centimetres/inches are going to be important and measuring from a printed sheet will not be the most accurate.

Mick

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I'm guessing it'd be too pricey to ditch the post and replace w/ overhead support beam?
Build out temporary extension from front?

Dougster

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

One other thing you might do to get a few more inches is to change your door swing either to the inside or reverse of what it is now . You may also be able to turn your post into a T post moving your post a few inches depending on how the post is carrying the load , and where the point load is .

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

If you build either boat I would put the cradle on big, very good casters. You will need to move it around a bunch and making that easy to do will be worth a ton to you.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Fuzz wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:22 am If you build either boat I would put the cradle on big, very good casters. You will need to move it around a bunch and making that easy to do will be worth a ton to you.
Yes, good plan, I see other people doing the same thing and easy to wheel the boat outside when needed.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

BarraMan wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:25 pm Good luck Mick - been there done that! 8O

Still getting grief for taking a door off a cupboard and chopping a piece off a bench! :help:
Yep, will be a challenge! There isn't anywhere I can realistically cut into (unfortunately) to increase the build space.

I can take measurements off the study plan diagram, assuming that is a scale diagram on Page 4. But I'm at the stage where centimetres/inches are going to be important and measuring from a printed sheet will not be the most accurate.

Mick

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

rick berrey wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:05 am One other thing you might do to get a few more inches is to change your door swing either to the inside or reverse of what it is now . You may also be able to turn your post into a T post moving your post a few inches depending on how the post is carrying the load , and where the point load is .
Door isn't really in the way, poor cartoon sketch. Post is likely to be in the way, or very close, but can be moved of course - but it is certainly structural and I don't want to mess with the house structure if there is any way to avoid it. I've printed out the scale plan and will measure off that to make as accurate a floor plan as I can and see what room there is/isn't.