VG23 Plans Help please: Jacques

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

VG23 Plans Help please: Jacques

Post by mhd »

Hi,

I just ordered and downloaded the VG23 plans - I've read about the updated bridge-deck design, modified transom, skirt, and hence smaller cockpit for improved offshore capability. This is also mentioned in "Plan Updates" at

https://boatbuildercentral.com/support- ... -boats.pdf

but I don't see any details on the actual plans I have downloaded. I've searched the forums also but haven't found any detailed plans for this modification.

*Question 1*: Is there a separate document somewhere that contains these details?

*Question 2*: I measured my garage to make sure the build will fit - based on the assumption that the diagram on Page 4 of the study plans is an accurate scale of the boat. Can you please confirm this is correct?

https://www.community.boatbuildercentra ... e_plan.jpg
https://www.community.boatbuildercentra ... t_size.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

Barn Lancaster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: VG23 Plans Help please: Jacques

Post by Barn Lancaster »

Hi Mick I've built one of these fantastic boats if I can help I will don't worry about these details at this stage just build the hull and unless your are going to buy a brand new mast and sails start looking for them now and also the ballast 500kg of lead was not easy to find here in the uk . Good luck and keep in touch .

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I would call Jeff at the office and ask but normally once the items are incorporated in the Plan Update section they are incorporated in the plans. So call him and see if they are in the new plan package. He may need to check with Jacques but you will get an answer pretty quickly.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Barn Lancaster wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:02 pm Hi Mick I've built one of these fantastic boats if I can help I will don't worry about these details at this stage just build the hull and unless your are going to buy a brand new mast and sails start looking for them now and also the ballast 500kg of lead was not easy to find here in the uk . Good luck and keep in touch .
Hi Barn,

Thanks for the info! We used to live just up the road from you in Lancaster...there for eight years...was a good place to be in the world. Currently having fun building our first and looking forward to sailing it.

Cheers,

Mick

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

Barn Lancaster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Barn Lancaster »

Hi Barn,

Thanks for the info! We used to live just up the road from you in Lancaster...there for eight years...was a good place to be in the world. Currently having fun building our first and looking forward to sailing it.

Cheers,

Mick
[/quote]
HI Mick wow that's incredible . Good luck with the build btw I measured mine just now it's 22' 4" long. It's not been in the water for couple of years but we are getting it back in this year. There is a vid of it on youtube search Talon the vagabond 23 in Preston Dock also a vid of the launch you can see the keel box and plate etc . cheers B

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Barn Lancaster wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:26 pm Hi Barn,

Cheers,

Mick
HI Mick wow that's incredible . Good luck with the build btw I measured mine just now it's 22' 4" long. It's not been in the water for couple of years but we are getting it back in this year. There is a vid of it on youtube search Talon the vagabond 23 in Preston Dock also a vid of the launch you can see the keel box and plate etc . cheers B
[/quote]

Yep, small world! We miss the pubs in Lancaster a lot :-)

Nice video! Boat looks GREAT. I'll bet that was a happy day :-) I've not been to the dock in Preston before but might check it out next time I'm back in the UK. Do you recall what was the hardest thing about the build? Anything you regret not doing or would do differently with hindsight?

Here is current progress on the FB11 (which we intend to use as a tender on the VG23 if we can squeeze it on there).

viewtopic.php?t=66028

Cheers,

Mick

Barn Lancaster
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Barn Lancaster »

The boat you've built looks top quality . I did the same I built a 11ft Medway Doble to practice which I've still got . There are many things I would do differently I 'll make a list . The first thing is that I would make every component before assembling the hull including the centre plate. The hull goes together quite quickly and once its in one piece it takes up a lot of space. If you are in UK again come and visit the boat. I'm in the process of getting my VG23 ready to go back in . I m on facebook as Barn Lancaster and the link at the bottom is a blog I started during the build you have to scroll for a good bit to get to the beginning. I ll get back with a list of things I would do differently cheers Barn

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Barn Lancaster wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:55 pm The boat you've built looks top quality . I did the same I built a 11ft Medway Doble to practice which I've still got . There are many things I would do differently I 'll make a list . The first thing is that I would make every component before assembling the hull including the centre plate. The hull goes together quite quickly and once its in one piece it takes up a lot of space. If you are in UK again come and visit the boat. I'm in the process of getting my VG23 ready to go back in . I m on facebook as Barn Lancaster and the link at the bottom is a blog I started during the build you have to scroll for a good bit to get to the beginning. I ll get back with a list of things I would do differently cheers Barn
Hi Barn,

Yes, it has been fun building it - learning as I go. I'm almost ready to cut it in half now - fingers crossed the nesting works as intended!!

Any help or advice you have for the VG23 would be greatly appreciated!! That is good advice about making the components before assembly. There is only just enough room diagonally in our garage to do it, and of course, however quickly I plan on working, it is sure to take longer than expected... The plan currently is to finish the FB11 in the next month or so, sail it through the summer in the local lakes, and do some more serious sailing practice also. We're a *long* way from the sea in any direction unfortunately. We've both have some sailing experience, but more is always helpful. And we'll hopefully start the build at the end of this year.

Thanks for the link too! You have tons of useful information on there. I don't use facebook but yes, I'd love to come and have a look at the boat some time. I'm not sure when that might be but usually we come back to the UK to see family once a year. I'll look you up next time I'm back for sure. I really appreciate the invitation. And if you are ever in the vicinity of New Mexico (unlikely I know!), feel free to look us up!

Good luck getting Talon back in the water this year! I can't imagine how satisfying it must have been to get Talon in the water the first ever time.

Cheers,

Mick

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

mhd wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:04 pm
*Question 1*: Is there a separate document somewhere that contains these details?

*Question 2*: I measured my garage to make sure the build will fit - based on the assumption that the diagram on Page 4 of the study plans is an accurate scale of the boat. Can you please confirm this is correct?
Sorry for the delay, I am travelling and do not always have internet.

#1: That update is all that exist. It is an option, many will not want a shorter cockpit. I designed it as request for blue water sailing. There is really nothing to it: it is just a box in the cockpit and I give the dimensions in the update text.

#2, Do not trust the study plans pictures. I create them to illustrate the web pages but there may be small differences. Get your dimensions from the plans or use waht Barn posted, it is correct. Have at least a foot (30 cm) all around. You need that for fiberglassing and grinding. Check the height too: I built a boat in my father's garage when I was 17 and we had to take the door apart to get it out!!
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

jacquesmm wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:55 pm
mhd wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:04 pm

Sorry for the delay, I am travelling and do not always have internet.

#1: That update is all that exist. It is an option, many will not want a shorter cockpit. I designed it as request for blue water sailing. There is really nothing to it: it is just a box in the cockpit and I give the dimensions in the update text.

#2, Do not trust the study plans pictures. I create them to illustrate the web pages but there may be small differences. Get your dimensions from the plans or use waht Barn posted, it is correct. Have at least a foot (30 cm) all around. You need that for fiberglassing and grinding. Check the height too: I built a boat in my father's garage when I was 17 and we had to take the door apart to get it out!!
Dear Jacques,

Firstly, thanks for the reply - much appreciated. No rush at all. It has taken me a few years to get to the stage of actually taking the plunge.

Yes, the boat will fit. With a diagonal build I'll have at least 60cm in the corners, but should be fine. I checked the height and that should be okay too, if I build on the basket with wheels that aren't too high...

I'd really like to thank you and everyone else involved at Bateau/BBC for getting me this far. I started looking around and deciding what boat to build more than four years ago. After a lot of thought and reading and thinking I decided on VG20 or VG23 - no other design really came close to what we wanted. I was first captured by Justin's "Just Right" build. Then reading Barn and all the other builder's stories and advice. Since the VG23 will fit, that is what we're going for. Currently I'm serving my "apprenticeship" - I'm more than 50% of the way through my first build - Evan's FB11 with some modifications. We first bought the Prameke plans, but eventually decided on a slightly bigger boat as our first, as it will give us more experience with the build and hopefully the ability to do some fun sailing on the lakes around New Mexico.

viewtopic.php?t=66028

The sea is a long way away unfortunately but I'm having a great time and enjoying (almost) every minute. Learning by doing, and making my own mistakes and hopefully becoming older and wiser in the process. The aim is to finish the FB11 in the next month or two and begin the VG23 in the winter.

Kind regards,

Mick