New deck for 1979 Silverton 31c

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
matthewstewart77
New Poster
New Poster

New deck for 1979 Silverton 31c

Post by matthewstewart77 »

Hey guys

Haven't been here for a few years. Built a 10' Garvey awhile back and a few other projects. Getting ready to redo the cockpit deck on my silverton and wanted to bounce ideas off you guys if that is okay. Planning on cutting off top skin and discarding (far to damaged to reuse). Removing the core and then using 3/4" marine ply over the bottom skin. So my plan is one layer 8oz fabric on the bottom of the ply, layer of 1700 on top and layer of 8oz (or 6?) fabric over that. fill/fillet all edges and gel coat. Sound okay? Should I use 1708? All done with system three epoxy, of course :) I did a deck on a 36 trojan a few years ago but was covering with faux teak so wasn't super worried about smoothness/fairing top of ply. Looking to make this a little smoother on top so I'll fair it but would like to get to relatively smooth to reduce work before fairing. Any thoughts are always greatly appreciated.

Thank you

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: New deck for 1979 Silverton 31c

Post by fallguy1000 »

Need drawings for best comments.

See no reason for 8 oz glass on plywood. The ply should be precoated in raw epoxy and laid into thickened epoxy about 1/8" vee troweled. Assumes sufficient structural support and no spans over 20". For the top, a lot depends on the finish planned, but I like the idea of 1708 on top, csm facing out. It'll be rough and ready for primer and traction paint, and the 8 oz csm provides a great wear layer if the paint wears which it will..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Matthew I would put 12oz on both sides to equalize the flex of your deck. It would be stronger than nothing on one side and 1708 on the top side.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomW1 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:40 pm Matthew I would put 12oz on both sides to equalize the flex of your deck. It would be stronger than nothing on one side and 1708 on the top side.

Tom
One assumes an existing laminate..

matthewstewart77
New Poster
New Poster

Post by matthewstewart77 »

There will be the existing laminate of the remaining bottom skin which I do plan on bedding the ply to with thickened epoxy. I was going to skin the bottom of the ply in 8oz but you're thinking that is overkill? Just wet out and set into bedding? That does make sense to me now since it will be bonded to the bottom skin. That would save a step or two! So mat up for the 1708 on top of the ply? I'm guess i'm stuck on the rule that the mat always goes towards the ply.

I was planning on gelcoating over the faired top.

As always, thank you for the input!!! I try to bounce these ideas off my dog but he seems reluctant to give me any feedback! :lol:

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

matthewstewart77 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:27 pm There will be the existing laminate of the remaining bottom skin which I do plan on bedding the ply to with thickened epoxy. I was going to skin the bottom of the ply in 8oz but you're thinking that is overkill? Just wet out and set into bedding? That does make sense to me now since it will be bonded to the bottom skin. That would save a step or two! So mat up for the 1708 on top of the ply? I'm guess i'm stuck on the rule that the mat always goes towards the ply.

I was planning on gelcoating over the faired top.

As always, thank you for the input!!! I try to bounce these ideas off my dog but he seems reluctant to give me any feedback! :lol:
Use epoxy on the bottom of the ply deck, neat coat at 2 oz per square yard. Bed the plywood in thickened epoxy; use fumed silica 2.1 to 1 by volume. Adjust the silica until it does not settle and lay down quickly. It should stand up until the ply is bedded.

Then about the gelcoat. Using vinylester or polyester is needed for the gelcoat. But the downside is that is not waterproof. So, you could neat coat the entire deck in epoxy, two coats, seal all avoids with thickened resins; then sand it with 60 grit..and lay glass with the ester, csm up and seal the ester with the gelcoat to cure...

I am not a gelcoat expert; so please get some broader opinions. The skin at 8oz on the plywood, added to an existing laminate is essentially useless for stiffness.

I didn't mean to disagree with Tom. He might have forgotten there was already a bottom skin you were saving.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Trying to use any ester resin over epoxy is a maybe good or bad deal. Sometimes it works and other times not so much. You get to make the call if you are willing to take the chance or not.