CR13 Sailboat Build Thread Mar 2022 start

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
mpd84
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

CR13 Sailboat Build Thread Mar 2022 start

Post by mpd84 »

I have decided to start my CR13 build but am waiting for the weather to warm up a bit (currently in the 30s and i have the medium epoxy kit). I also got the CNC kit so that should speed the build. I have been wanting to do this build since ~2015 and actually built a scale model. For that model, I used hobby polyester epoxy so ya... and it needs to be cleaned up but i think it will help with some planning (maybe a cooler in a seat using expanding foam). I'm super excited and a bit hesitant with using the epoxy.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BvzuCe ... p=drivesdk
I will also post the CNC'd plywood photos in my next post. I look forward to updating on this and also hope to setup a vlog on my progress. :D

mpd84
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: CR13 Sailboat Build Thread Mar 2022 start

Post by mpd84 »

And just to clarify, I'm hesitant using the epoxy from the kit... lol not using polyester epoxy on a marine build! :wink:

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

The epoxy will not give you any problems. Just make sure to mix the correct ratios and spend the time to do a good mixing job.

mpd84
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mpd84 »

For an update, the wife and I have been back and forth with illnes this year... and to top things off, she had a very bad accident last week... luckily she came out of it with only bruises.

Any who, I have gotten back to the build starting on Friday. So far, I have each of the bottom panels glued into two sheets, same with the sides. I have zip-tied the bottom to each other and to the side wall, i have the transom screwed to the side walls and the forward two frame pieces (frame A and frame B) screwed roughly into their locations (+/- roughly 3
/8 inch with probably 2-5 degrees difference vs the transom). I plan on starting with the frame D (once frame C is screwed roughly into place) and making sure its measured and symmetrical then tab that one in and just do each moving towards the Bow from there.

Would that be the best way to do this or is there another way to place and secure the frames more accurately?

I will try to get photos up tomorrow, I will use a different location that will embed the photos better (no link to follow just the pictures in the post). I also have a short video but i'll need to see if its any good. I am sure the sound quality will not be great so i may need to narrate it... i haven't tried vlogging before... let a lone blogging...

It is exciting to see the boat coming into shape!!!!

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

That looks like it will be a fun boat, and you'll gain a lot of good experience building her.

"Would that be the best way to do this or is there another way to place and secure the frames more accurately?"

Pictures would help. I'll begin by saying I don't have the plans for the CR13 but the study plans say it's a typical stitch and glue approach. If so, the frames should be accurately and firmly secured in place before you begin placing panels. The frames will be braced to the strongback and checked for alignment (vertically, diagonally, every which way) before proceeding. There is a tutorial here on stitch and glue building, take a look at that.

Don't use screws between hull sides and frames, let it free float so the hull has natural curves guided by the frames. You can use screws to hold the ends of the hull panels to the transom, but even there you want to keep it a bit loose to allow fair curves. What are you using to hold the panels together? The panels should closely follow the shape created by the frames, but often won't exactly match it.
Hank

mpd84
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mpd84 »

So, i got the book Devlin's Boat Building and found the answer to my earlier question as to the best way to accurately locate the frames. He uses a stick and a plumb bob. All I need to do given this, is to level the transom vertically then measure from there, align the sides with the transom, and mark the locations of the frames after ensuring the symmetry. They have a really good picture of the method on pg 98. This, again, is after making sure the sides are aligned symmetrically with the bow to transom.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I think you are mixing two different and slightly incompatible build methods. Follow the build notes provided with the cr13 plans and you shouldn't have any issues with how to measure distances for frames. The plans that I have access to show clearly how and where to measure.

I've never seen Jacques suggest a plumb bob for frame location/alignment.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

mpd84
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mpd84 »

Thanks for the reply. Its just like me to over complicate things. I will re-read the instructions again to see what I have missed.

Also I think I need to be better about my terminology. When I say frame, I am actually talking about the bulkheads. The transom, the sides and the bottom stitched together pretty well (the transom is actually screwed loosely in place). When I insert the forward bulkhead (they are labeled A,B,C, and D. A is the most forward), the next bulkhead, bulkhead B, is too narrow for the sides as they curve quite a bit more out and that bulkhead just falls over. This goes with the rest of the bulkheads . Originally, I measured back from the aft of each side to trace the location on the sides then realized that wouldn't work as location measured from the transom would change as the sides bend outward. Additionally, even without the bend, they would make a triangle and I didn't read anywhere about doing maths for this project. :oops:

Pictures incoming on the next post, hopefully today.

mpd84
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mpd84 »

Picture progress:
Puzzle Joints:

(there are a few voids that need some attention but overall it seems very strong. The voids will get more epoxy glue to make sure there aren't any high stress points then more sanding and then some fairing eventually...
https://www.community.boatbuildercentra ... ?pid=74525
https://www.community.boatbuildercentra ... ?pid=74527

Sides stitched together with the transom only taped on:
The transom has since been screwed to the sides.
https://www.community.boatbuildercentra ... ?pid=74528

Bottom stitched together then folded for later:
https://www.community.boatbuildercentra ... ?pid=74522

Bottom stitched to the sides and these pieces were turned keel side down (with the help of my wife :wink: ) :
https://www.community.boatbuildercentra ... ?pid=74526

And finally where I am currently at (more or less):
I have Bulkhead A loosely screwed (per assembly instruction) into its rough location (as measured from the bow). I have used a level and some spacers to get the angle as close to the transom angle as possible. In retrospect it would have been wiser to just adjust the whole thing to so that the transom is completely vertical then just use the level on bulkhead A in that manner
https://www.community.boatbuildercentra ... ?pid=74523

I figure that since I haven't glued anything down yet, I can still make adjustments or start over to get a better fit if need be.

I think I am going to take a step back and get the sides and bottom stitched together the rest of the way... found this thread and seems to be a bit better than how I'm doing... viewtopic.php?t=64448&hilit=Mast

mpd84
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Latest updates

Post by mpd84 »

So i was able to locate the bulkheads using the bottom and sides with the assembly upright. I tabbed those into place with thickened epoxy but not to the amount for the fiberglass just yet, i want to get the bow profile better. I have since removed the bottom, stitched it together folded, flipped the current assembly (sides and bulkheads) keel up. I plan on unfolding the bottom onto the frame to hopefully get that nice curve on the bow. Below are links to pics! Thanks for the help and encouragement!
www.community.boatbuildercentral.com/ga ... ?pid=74581
www.community.boatbuildercentral.com/ga ... ?pid=74582
www.community.boatbuildercentral.com/ga ... ?pid=74583
www.community.boatbuildercentral.com/ga ... ?pid=74584
www.community.boatbuildercentral.com/ga ... ?pid=74586
www.community.boatbuildercentral.com/ga ... ?pid=74589
www.community.boatbuildercentral.com/ga ... ?pid=74588

As an aside, I seem to be having problems with the 'img' '/img' inbeded images... they com up looking like this with a broken image... let me know if others see the same broken image link (this one is the last link in the list of pics...)